Author Topic: 1000 solitaire skirmish x2  (Read 1076 times)

gull2112

• Administrator
  • From the RUSH faction
    • Meditations on Brain Injury
1000 solitaire skirmish x2
« on: September 06, 2014, 08:52:36 PM »
Game #1 Vlachold vs. Hawkshold
This first game was a bust because the Hawks just turtled up and the longbowmen decimated the Vlachold at range.

Game #2 Vlachold vs. Orcs
Vlachold - Knights/hillfolk/swordsmen/thralls
Orcs - 2XAxeOrcs/SwordOrcs/Goblin Spears

This game was much more fun and dramatic. It was also incredibly close. The scenario was Ambush\Trap with the long giant hill in the center. The Orcs set up on the hill and Vlachold set up on one side. On the Vlachold left the Swordsmen and Thralls demonstrated while the Knights and Hillmen on the right ran around the end of the Hill and up the center. This was a game of few passed morale checks which resulted in three! one-shots. The end game saw the Voivode Knights with one green box charging the AxeOrcs minus two green boxes, and everyone one else dead. The final battle saw the Voivode using their perseverance box to pass two morale checks as they shrank to two red boxes remaining and the AxeOrcs failing their Morale check as they went into the yellow and then failing the subsequent morale check from the free hacks. Victory Vlachold!

I was playing without command cards, but with only two command actions per turn (1000 pt. army) there was always plenty to do with lashing/marking perseverance/rallying/direct control. So while I didn't get to test out how the faction specific cards felt, I did get to really use the check box and blood powers. I like the feel of the blood powers and their effects. In a 1000 point game you really get an enhanced feel for how these can effect the game--everything is intensified. The perseverance die rolls were really fun. the whole tense dynamic of trying to determine which roll die you will modify is engaging. It would have been tempting to try and get one more damage on those AxeOrcs at the end of the game, but saving them for the morale checks turned out to be the game winning strategy.
"Rules are only as good as the book they're bound in."
http://gullsbattleground.blogspot.com/

Hannibal

• Administrator
Re: 1000 solitaire skirmish x2
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 11:58:14 AM »
Game #1 Vlachold vs. Hawkshold
This first game was a bust because the Hawks just turtled up and the longbowmen decimated the Vlachold at range.

This is still data, which is good.  What were your opinions of this game?  What did the two sides take and what happened?

Game #2 Vlachold vs. Orcs
Orcs - 2XAxeOrcs/SwordOrcs/Goblin Spears

This game was much more fun and dramatic. It was also incredibly close. The scenario was Ambush\Trap with the long giant hill in the center. The Orcs set up on the hill and Vlachold set up on one side. On the Vlachold left the Swordsmen and Thralls demonstrated while the Knights and Hillmen on the right ran around the end of the Hill and up the center. This was a game of few passed morale checks which resulted in three! one-shots. The end game saw the Voivode Knights with one green box charging the AxeOrcs minus two green boxes, and everyone one else dead. The final battle saw the Voivode using their perseverance box to pass two morale checks as they shrank to two red boxes remaining and the AxeOrcs failing their Morale check as they went into the yellow and then failing the subsequent morale check from the free hacks. Victory Vlachold!

I was playing without command cards, but with only two command actions per turn (1000 pt. army) there was always plenty to do with lashing/marking perseverance/rallying/direct control. So while I didn't get to test out how the faction specific cards felt, I did get to really use the check box and blood powers. I like the feel of the blood powers and their effects. In a 1000 point game you really get an enhanced feel for how these can effect the game--everything is intensified. The perseverance die rolls were really fun. the whole tense dynamic of trying to determine which roll die you will modify is engaging. It would have been tempting to try and get one more damage on those AxeOrcs at the end of the game, but saving them for the morale checks turned out to be the game winning strategy.

That's usually the game winning strategy for Perseverance.  Unfortunately its not a good enough ability to give it to every unit, like you could do with Bravery.  I tend to think of it like I do the Rune of Uruz:  it goes on your best units (although for different reasons than the Rune) and then as you slide further down the scale it becomes more questionable.

I'm glad that you liked the army ability & the blood powers.  What was your opinion of the Voivoide Knights?  How did they feel to you?  Fun to play?  Frustrating to play?  Too good?  Not good enough? (not likely)  About right?

Thanks for playtesting!  I really appreciate the feedback.

gull2112

• Administrator
  • From the RUSH faction
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 11:17:26 AM »
game #1
Hawkshold - longbowmen/ Spearmen/swordsmen/?

I don't remember now what all I had, but it was 3 or four infantry around the Longbowmen and they just killed everything. Partially due to really poor courage rolls by the Vlachold. The knights were simply taken out over two or three turns before they could reach any Hawkshold. This was with no terrain.

In game 2 the Knights were really fun and, as I was not using command cards, got a lot of action out of their blood powers. I didn't feel like I had any extra CA's, so I can just imagine if you were trying to run Vlachold blood powers and buy cards. A lot of tough decisions!

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 12:44:44 PM »
Did you feel the Knights were too strong at D:3/3?

gull2112

• Administrator
  • From the RUSH faction
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 04:38:02 PM »
No. Orcs are tough hombres, they weren't overwhelmed by toughness 3. It felt right. You really want Pow6 or some card love, but that is what you should want with heavy knights. Lashed AxeOrcs had their hands full, but weren't completely overpowered.