Author Topic: Vlachold vs Dark Elves  (Read 602 times)

Hannibal

• Administrator
Vlachold vs Dark Elves
« on: September 05, 2014, 03:04:34 PM »
We actually played this game close to a month ago, I just never had the chance to post it before now.  We've been struggling for awhile with what to do about those Voivoide Knights, and so we wanted to experiment with them.  And with any experiment is the baseline.  We wanted to see how the Knights performed as they currently exist, against an opponent that they'd do well against.  So Scott played Vlachold and I played Dark Elves.  To further stack the deck, we played Total Warfare, which means containing those Knights would be much harder.

Dark Elves:  3 Halfblood Levy, 1 Slavetakers, 1 Lashmistresses, 2 Lords of Dusk

Vlachold:  1 Voynik Spearmen, 3 Voynik Swordsmen, 1 Tepes Lord, 2 Voivoide Knights

Vlachold units for reference:

Voynik Swordsmen - Core - 195 pts
O:(5)5/5  D:2/2  Rge:-  Cge: 12  Mv: 3.5"  3G/5Y/2R

Voynik Spearmen - Core - 217 pts
O:(6*)5*/5*  D:2/2  Rge:-  Cge: 12  Mv: 3.5"  3G/5Y/2R
O:(-1) -0/-0 when charging. O:(+0) +1/+0 vs. cavalry or large units. O:(+0) +0/+2 when holding vs. charging cavalry or large.

Tepes Lords - Standard - 304 pts
O:(5)6/6  D:2/3  Rge:-  Cge: 11  Mv: 3.5"  4G/3Y/3R
Red Harvest.  Drain:  3.5" range.  May not Drain Voivode Knights.  Blood Powers:  Blood is Life, Inhuman Frenzy, Unholy Aura. (Note:  they have 2 Blood Point boxes.)

Voivoide Knights - Elite - 436 pts
O:(6)6/5*  D:3*/3  Rge:-  Cge: 11  Mv: 6"  3G/2Y/2R
Cavalry. O:(+0)+0/+2 and D:+1/+0 when charging.  Red Harvest. Drain: 6" range.  Blood Powers:  Blood is Life, Inhuman Frenzy, Unholy Aura.  (Note: they have 3 Blood Point boxes)

Deployment

Vlachold (L->R):  Swordsmen, Swordsmen, Tepes Lords (in front of Voivoide Knights), Swordsmen, Voivoide Knights (in front of Spearmen)

Dark Elves (L->R):  Spearmen, [gap], Spearmen, Lashmistresses, Lords of Dusk & Lords of Dusk (in front of Slavetakers), Spearmen

My whole plan was to use the Lashmistresses to pull him out of position while the Lords of Dusk blew a hole in his line.  A standard DE stand & shoot build.  His plan was a clear "stars & scrubs" plan where the Knights & Tepes Lords smash into my line while the Voyniks held out.

Dark Elf Shooting

The Vlachold line advances, and the Lords of Dusk shooting has put the Voynik Swordsmen into the Yellow.  They fail their check, going Disrupted, but this actually helps Vlachold in a weird way.  Now the Voivoide Knights behind the Tepes Lords can slide out to engage my line without having to spend a CA.

Note, all but he Voivoide Knights on the right are avoiding the hedges.  This is because hedges are one of the few terrain pieces that are not ignored with People of the Borderlands.

Cannibalized Voyniks

On his turn, Scott slides out the Voivoide Knights into the gap that was opened but not before doing something very tricksy:  he Drained the disrupted Voyniks to death.  The Voynik Swordsmen had 8 boxes left...the Voivoide Knights had 3 blood boxes each...the Tepes Lords have 2 blood boxes. 

3 + 3 + 2 = 1 dead Voynik Swordsmen.

Elsewhere, my Lashmistresses ended up unable to pull the enemy out of position.  Partly it was because I missed on one of the turns I needed to hit, but partly it's because the Lashmistress ability isn't actually that hard to counter.  It functionally becomes a CA-tax.  On the next turn, Scott would simply spend a CA to un-muck his line.

On the right, my Lords of Dusk put 2 wounds on the lead Voivoide Knight.  That may not seem like a lot, but the Knights are D:3/3 cavalry, in the hedges.  Functionally, they're a 5/3.

On the far right, I begin to move out my Slavetakers to threaten the Vlachold flank.

Maneuvering

On his turn, Scott was forced to hold back his Voivoide Knights in the terrain to prevent them from getting pinched.  On the left he gave his Voynik Swordsmen the order to charge my Halfblood Spearmen and the two slugged it out.

On my turn, I DC'd my Slavetakers on the right to come around the flank of the Voynik Spearmen.  Meanwhile, my Lords of Dusk concentrated fire on the Voivoide Knights in the hedge, failing to do any damage.  In retrospect, I should've expended the CAs to change their target to the other unit of Knights.

Pureblood Cowardice

On the right, Scott does something absolutely brilliant:  he maneuvers his Voynik Spearmen so that they are simultaineously in front of Halfblood Spearmen and out of the front arc of my Slavetakers.  Meaning, I can't charge them with my Slavetakers next turn!  And my Slavetakers are out of range of the Voivoide Knights.  Very well played!  (And poorly played on my part for not seeing that last turn and moving the Slavetakers to prevent that).

Towards the center, both his units of Voivoide Knights charge home.  The one of the right heals 1 damage but fails the Terrifying check, meaning he hardly damages my Lord of Dusk.  Unfortunately, my Lord of Dusk didn't don anything in return.

But my other fight (just to the right of center) ends in disaster. I play Arrogant Spite along with my best Red card to put the Knights in the Yellow.  They then pass their check and my Lords of Dusk fail theirs, despite having a Cge 15!  Now I'm in serious trouble.

In the center, the Tepes Lords charge but fail their Fearsome check against the Lashmistresses and take 3 damage to none.  The Tepes Lords are supposed to be heavily favored in this fight, mind you.

On the far left, the Voynik Swordsmen charge my Halfblood Spearmen, are put into the Yellow, and promptly rout.  However, because they have 5 Yellow boxes, it can often be hard to force another check with those Free Strikes, which is one of the hidden strengths of the 3G/5Y/2R statline.

Voivoide Knights Pinch

On my turn, I try desperately to rout the Tepes Lords or the Voivoide Knights to save my plan, but it doesn't happen.  Instead, on my turn, my Lords of Dusk eat a pinch from the Knights and die terribly.

On the right, I move my Slavetakers around but don't charge them in.  Scott knows he's got a pinch coming, so he has the Spearmen face the Slavetakers.  At least they'll take the cavalry with them.

On the left, I made a mistake on my turn.  If I had changed my Halfblood Spearmen to Close, I would have charged the routing Voynik Swordsmen and destroyed them.  I opted not to, and it would actually cost me later in the game.  On his turn, Scott let them run to get some distance.

Pinches & Counter-Pinches

This is taken a couple of turns later, so bear with me.

On the right, my Halfblood Spearmen rear-charged the Voynik Spearmen.  They forced a check, but failed to rout them and so on his turn, Scott sent the Voivoide Knights into the flank of the Halfbloods.  The Dark Elves passed their pinch check but failed their post-combat check and were destroyed.  However, on this turn they were able to destroy the Voynik Spearmen before routing and being cut down.

Also on my turn, I DC'd the Slavetakers not to charge into the front of Spearmen-on-Hold, but instead moved up to set up a flank charge if the Voivoide Knights pinched my Halfbloods.  To counter this, the second unit of Voivoide Knights moved forward to try and block the path of the Slavetakers.  Sadly, the Voivoide Knights couldn't get into No Turning Back range or block the charge path, so my Slavetakers would be able to flank charge.

In the center, both the Lashmistresses and the Tepes Lords put each other into the Red and both routed.  He had a Cge 11, I had a Cge 13...  ::) 

Meanwhile, my Halfbloods destroyed his Voyniks just to right of center, giving me control over that flank.

Counter-Charges & Counter-Counter-Charges

Again, another couple of turns have passed, so I'll summarize.

On the left, my Slavetakers flank charged the Voivoide Knights and wiped them out.  They were then flank charged in turn by the remaining Voivoide Knights and cut down.

In the center, my unit of Halfblood Spearmen charged the Tepes Lords on Hold.  I did 1 damage, he did 3.  I failed my (Cge 12) Red check and he passed his (Cge 11) Red check, and the Halfbloods were cut down in Free Attacks.

On the far left, Scott rallied his fleeing Voynik Swordsmen, because suddenly it was going to matter having a 195pt unit in the Yellow on the table at the end of the game.

Endgame

There was actually a little action after this, but it devolved into degenerate endgame.  The Tepes Lords charge the Lashmistresses and are destroyed, leaving only the Voivoide Knights and the Voynik Swordsmen (both in the Yellow).  Since Vlachold had more than 320 pts, they could technically get a 4-2 win.

We played a few more turns, but once the Voivoide Knights were put in the Red, the game would be a draw.  I had Follow Through and Cunning in my hand, plus an Accuracy, so we decided that while might take awhile, the Knights were going to be put into the Red.  So we called it as a Draw.  If I had spent the CA to charge the fleeing Voynik Swordsmen when they initially routed, I would have been no question, but I felt that the game was basically over when my Lords of Dusk routed on the charge turn so I didn't bother.  Could'a, should'a, would'a.

Post Game Thoughts:  A couple key mistakes cost me what should have been a fairly easy win here, but I also think its interesting that the D:3/3 Voivoide Knights were fought to a draw despite that really nasty defensive statline.  And also, this is pretty much the most ideal situation for those Knights:  facing a D:x/1 enemy, so that Pow 5 isn't a liability like it is against high toughness factions. 

Between having terrain and having a key enemy unit pack it up on the charge turn, I'd say that this is darn near the idea situation for Vlachold and yet...a Draw.  Even with those really nasty Voivoide Knights.