Author Topic: Wuxing Kickstarter is now Live!  (Read 16219 times)

Hannibal

• Administrator
Re: Wuxing Kickstarter is now Live!
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2014, 03:21:39 PM »
I would have to be against healers personally, we already have them as a merc unit, and it's already been seen in tournament play that taking the merc healers is common practice with this army, so I would really want to see a unit that gives something new to the game and the Wuxing.

That's why I said Chinese "Healer Mages" in quotations.  I'd imagine them using Wuxing Medicine (herbal remedies & acupuncture come to mind, but I don't think you'd be able to do this in a battlefield context) to adjust a unit's chi and make it stronger/tougher/etc.  I was thinking that like the Monks have various stances[1], the Wuxing Doctors alter the chi a unit with X" to give them some bonus.  The bonus stays in effect until the Doctors bless a new unit or switch blessings. 

[1]In essence, the Monks learn to alter their chi without the need of doctors.

gpman

• laying low in a blood filled trench
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2014, 03:38:27 PM »
And I can add another fantasy faction for $30 total (base $20 and reinforcement $10)?

At $70 can I trade the AvP base and AvP reinforcement packs for two fantasy sets (base and reinforcement)?  Looks like $70 is the way to go if I want 2 more factions above Wuxing, right?

Chad is running the Kickstarter, but my guess is that if you want one Wuxing faction and other non-Alexander/Persia stuff, you're best off doing a $25 pledge and then getting other stuff as add-ons.  I recall that other fantasy factions (Basis + Reinforcement combined) are $20 per.  So for example if you want Wuxing plus 2 fantasy factions it'll cost you 25 + 20 + 20 = $65.

see, I get all turned around when I look at these things, my fault not yours  ;)  I think I got it now, Fantasy Faction (Basic and reinforcement)= $20; just fantasy reinforcement = $10.  When I read it I thought it was basic set for $20 and reinforcement for $10 more (=$30).  No wonder people have to explain rules to me over and over  ::).

Heck, I have to convince the wife we need a 4th faction at that price...
wack falol da rah!

Kevin

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2014, 09:26:23 PM »
Partially stealing from the Sun Wukong unit, I'm wondering if the following might work:

I basically applied the "Jade" template to the Terracotta Fu Dogs, but took away Reliable/Breakdown/Manipulate Qi and made them "strongly impulsive":

Stone Monkeys

253 points, Elite

(6) 6/4  1/3 MC5" Fearless

4g-3y-2r

+1/+0 vs. range attacks

Strongly Impulsive:  At the beginning of your turn, change this unit's orders to unmodified Close.

Inspired by the divine Monkey King, Sun Wukong, inventive animators infused their creations with monkey spirits.  Difficult to control, these units were disfavored by Wuxing commanders, but proved their worth fighting for hire.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 10:33:58 AM by Kevin »
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

elgin_j

• Playtester
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2014, 01:50:21 AM »
The way I read the campaign pledge levels is that only a $70 pledge will access the stretch goals. Correct?
toodle pip

Kevin

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2014, 08:20:19 AM »
The way I read the campaign pledge levels is that only a $70 pledge will access the stretch goals. Correct?

Nope.  If you're talking the promo cards, then if the total pledged by everyone is at least $4000 than anyone who gets Wuxing (= pledges $25+) gets the cards.  If you're talking green-lighting the Greek Mercenaries, then those get green-lighted at at higher number, but if that happens folks still will need to purchase them.
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

gpman

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2014, 10:44:19 AM »
sweet - backed $85 ($25 level + 3 more fantasy factions @$20 each)!
wack falol da rah!

Chad_YMG

• Administrator
    • Your Move Games
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2014, 07:26:02 PM »
If anyone asks or is wondering...

Wuxing and your first AvP set each cost $25.  Additional Wuxing, historical boxes or ANY fantasy faction can be added on top of that for $20 each.  So that means 33% off MSRP for Orcs, for example.
David Humphrey está todavía en la Colina 217.
      - From Spanish translation of Hill 218 rules

mjungledog

• Playtester
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2014, 05:11:18 PM »
I backed the Wuxing.  Can't wait to get them
Evil will always triumph because good is dumb!

Karasu

• Playtester
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2014, 04:17:33 AM »
Whilst I do recognise that Vlachold and Jiangshi are both 'vampires', the Chinese version is as different from eastern European ones as western and eastern dragons, and related mythology.

Another place to look may be the other Chinese 4 Great Classical Novels.  We've already mentioned Journey to the West; Romance of the 3 Kingdoms lacks much in the way of mythical monsters, but the Great Teachers of the Yellow Turbans are sometimes ascribed magical powers, being able to control weather and/or the elements;  the Red Chamber really doesn't have anything appropriate; Water Margin has 108 bandits, there might well be scope for having legendary Chinese bandits as mercenaries.

I'd also say to read Barry Hughart's novels, but I'm not sure how authentic they are, despite their excellence.

gull2112

• From the RUSH faction
    • Meditations on Brain Injury
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2014, 10:02:10 AM »
I just heard about this. I'm all in. Wuxing is a great faction! James and I have played a few games with the proxies and they are a blast! They are unique and a really fascinating faction to play with and against.
"Rules are only as good as the book they're bound in."
http://gullsbattleground.blogspot.com/

iamJMAN00793

• This is Sparta!
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2014, 04:19:11 PM »
You guys had me day 1. I'm really excited for another faction.
Every man dies. Not every man really lives. ~ Braveheart

mbcthu

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2014, 03:55:58 AM »
Hi Chad
my 2 cents:
I think that a stretch goal for 6000$ wuold be welcomed, maybe the second Wuxing special unit........in the hope to reach the damn 8000$ and finally...Greek city-states

Cheers
Mau

PS
Ambassador pledge is for only 1 copy of Wuxing army?

Karasu

• Playtester
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2014, 04:15:33 AM »
I pledged $45 from the Ambassador link, with the hope of getting 2 sets.

Karasu

Chad_YMG

• Administrator
    • Your Move Games
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2014, 08:58:29 AM »
I'm going to be adding a $6,000 stretch goal today.  ;)

And yes, Ambassador is for one copy of Wuxing -- additional copies can be added for $20 each.
David Humphrey está todavía en la Colina 217.
      - From Spanish translation of Hill 218 rules

gpman

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2014, 10:54:57 AM »
added $15 more to my pledge, convinced the wife the terrain pack was necessary and helped us get to the $4000 goal  ;D
wack falol da rah!