Author Topic: Oathbound...a new idea  (Read 7895 times)

Kevin

• Administrator
Re: Oathbound...a new idea
« Reply #105 on: February 13, 2017, 05:08:45 PM »
Nothing like a good mass-suicide to celebrate victory!  :P
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

gornhorror

• Playtester
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #106 on: February 13, 2017, 06:01:10 PM »
Nothing like a good mass-suicide to celebrate victory!  :P

My idea is to have an effect that goes along with the name of the card.  They just keep fighting because they are Oathbound to stay in there even though they are outnumbered.  After the fight they are spent and if they survive are no longer a viable fighting force.

"The few will just have to do the work of many"  Right?

As an avid High Elf player I know that there is a time in every battle where maneuver mastery has gotten you only so far and the pinching begins.  It would be nice to have a card that you could play so the unit has to be killed all the way rather than failing a pre-combat rout check or regular rout check.  Some people think a 13 courage is awesome, but I'm not sure it is as good as people think, especially in this type of army where you are always outnumbered.
For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and everyone who humbles himself will be exalted.

gornhorror

• Playtester
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #107 on: March 06, 2017, 12:49:56 PM »
Just thought of this while at work.

What if we said that Oathbound is a card that could be played after movement during the movement and command phase only.  You may choose up to two of your units: They get +3 courage for the turn and automatically pass fear or pre-combat rout checks.
For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and everyone who humbles himself will be exalted.

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #108 on: March 12, 2017, 10:56:36 PM »
In a sense, this is actually weaker than the current Oathbound in some regards while it's stronger in other.  Meaning I don't think this is broken.
"So much poison in power, the principals get left out
So much mind under matter, the spirit gets forgotten about"
-Rush, Half The World

gornhorror

• Playtester
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #109 on: March 22, 2017, 10:45:02 AM »
I'm going to play High Elves with this new idea for Oathbound.  The current Oathbound just doesn't do it for me.  I feel that in an army such as High Elves where every failed rout check usually means disaster, they need something with a little more bite and flair.  Besides, Oathbound is just Uncommon Valor with a different name, which is boring.  I'm not sure why high elves can't have a reroll card like factions with tons of cheap units or like the Dark Elves.  The High Elves need it more than they do, IMHO.

Anyways, here is the version I will work with going forward.

Oathbound:  Up to two of your units automatically pass any fear and/or pre-combat pinch checks.  ***OR***  During any courage phase you may play this card to give up to two units +2 courage for the rest of the turn.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 01:12:10 PM by gornhorror »

BubblePig

• Shoeless God of War
  • All your base are belong to us
« Reply #110 on: March 26, 2017, 06:38:47 PM »
I think that is a reasonable strength card since you have to play it pre-roll, and it has some flavor, too. You lose some flexibility from the original Oathbound, since your variant needs to be played in the M&C phase and the original can basically be played before any courage roll.

gornhorror

• Playtester
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #111 on: April 02, 2017, 11:05:05 AM »
I think that is a reasonable strength card since you have to play it pre-roll, and it has some flavor, too. You lose some flexibility from the original Oathbound, since your variant needs to be played in the M&C phase and the original can basically be played before any courage roll.

Yes, let the overall, (ahem) higher level courage of the high elves stand.  But have a card that's flavorful, goes along with it's name and lets them auto pass pre-combat rout checks and fear checks. 

Now that's Oathbound, stand in there and fight before you die!!!!!!

Ostegun

« Reply #112 on: April 20, 2017, 08:25:56 AM »
Uuuuu this sounds good will grab my elves to try it out.
The bull bears it's horns in hope. Hope to fend off those who would feed on it's love. The love of all the ones who held the wall upon which all memories have been written. Existence fussed to rip and explode the bull into the breach of threat.To scream in all the colors the essence of it's love.