Author Topic: Oathbound...a new idea  (Read 9649 times)

Kevin

• Administrator
Re: Oathbound...a new idea
« Reply #105 on: February 13, 2017, 05:08:45 PM »
Nothing like a good mass-suicide to celebrate victory!  :P
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

gornhorror

• Playtester
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #106 on: February 13, 2017, 06:01:10 PM »
Nothing like a good mass-suicide to celebrate victory!  :P

My idea is to have an effect that goes along with the name of the card.  They just keep fighting because they are Oathbound to stay in there even though they are outnumbered.  After the fight they are spent and if they survive are no longer a viable fighting force.

"The few will just have to do the work of many"  Right?

As an avid High Elf player I know that there is a time in every battle where maneuver mastery has gotten you only so far and the pinching begins.  It would be nice to have a card that you could play so the unit has to be killed all the way rather than failing a pre-combat rout check or regular rout check.  Some people think a 13 courage is awesome, but I'm not sure it is as good as people think, especially in this type of army where you are always outnumbered.
Where's this shade, that you got it made?

gornhorror

• Playtester
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #107 on: March 06, 2017, 12:49:56 PM »
Just thought of this while at work.

What if we said that Oathbound is a card that could be played after movement during the movement and command phase only.  You may choose up to two of your units: They get +3 courage for the turn and automatically pass fear or pre-combat rout checks.

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #108 on: March 12, 2017, 10:56:36 PM »
In a sense, this is actually weaker than the current Oathbound in some regards while it's stronger in other.  Meaning I don't think this is broken.
"The point of the journey is not to return... anything can happen"
-Rush, Prime Mover

gornhorror

• Playtester
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #109 on: March 22, 2017, 10:45:02 AM »
I'm going to play High Elves with this new idea for Oathbound.  The current Oathbound just doesn't do it for me.  I feel that in an army such as High Elves where every failed rout check usually means disaster, they need something with a little more bite and flair.  Besides, Oathbound is just Uncommon Valor with a different name, which is boring.  I'm not sure why high elves can't have a reroll card like factions with tons of cheap units or like the Dark Elves.  The High Elves need it more than they do, IMHO.

Anyways, here is the version I will work with going forward.

Oathbound:  Up to two of your units automatically pass any fear and/or pre-combat pinch checks.  ***OR***  During any courage phase you may play this card to give up to two units +2 courage for the rest of the turn.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 01:12:10 PM by gornhorror »

BubblePig

• Shoeless God of War
  • Playtester
  • Y'all are just hating on my steez.
« Reply #110 on: March 26, 2017, 06:38:47 PM »
I think that is a reasonable strength card since you have to play it pre-roll, and it has some flavor, too. You lose some flexibility from the original Oathbound, since your variant needs to be played in the M&C phase and the original can basically be played before any courage roll.

gornhorror

• Playtester
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #111 on: April 02, 2017, 11:05:05 AM »
I think that is a reasonable strength card since you have to play it pre-roll, and it has some flavor, too. You lose some flexibility from the original Oathbound, since your variant needs to be played in the M&C phase and the original can basically be played before any courage roll.

Yes, let the overall, (ahem) higher level courage of the high elves stand.  But have a card that's flavorful, goes along with it's name and lets them auto pass pre-combat rout checks and fear checks. 

Now that's Oathbound, stand in there and fight before you die!!!!!!

Ostegun

« Reply #112 on: April 20, 2017, 08:25:56 AM »
Uuuuu this sounds good will grab my elves to try it out.
The bull bears it's horns in hope. Hope to fend off those who would feed on it's love. The love of all the ones who held the wall upon which all memories have been written. Existence fussed to rip and explode the bull into the breach of threat.To scream in all the colors the essence of it's love.

gornhorror

• Playtester
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #113 on: November 03, 2017, 01:48:51 PM »
Here is my latest incarnation of Oathbound. 

Oathbound:  Up to two units of your choosing automatically pass any pre-combat or fear checks and get +1 courage for the turn.  OR  you may re-roll a failed courage check at a +2 courage.

GoIndy

• Playtester
« Reply #114 on: November 03, 2017, 05:06:29 PM »
Does that card have to be played in Movement Command phase, or after you failed a check?

Kevin

• Administrator
« Reply #115 on: November 04, 2017, 08:00:03 AM »
One way per function I think.  Either way, this is unambiguously more powerful than the Lizardmen Cold Blooded card, which gives a re-roll at +1 and no secondary function.
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #116 on: November 05, 2017, 04:38:35 PM »
Oathbound:  Up to two of your units automatically pass any fear and/or pre-combat pinch checks.  ***OR***  During any courage phase you may play this card to give up to two units +2 courage for the rest of the turn.

Of the ones proposed, I think this is the best one so far.
"The point of the journey is not to return... anything can happen"
-Rush, Prime Mover

gornhorror

• Playtester
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #117 on: November 06, 2017, 12:47:35 PM »

I would change the 2nd half to "During any courage phase, after one of your units routs, you may play re-roll that courage check at a +2 courage.  So two units automatically pass fear/pre-combat OR one re-roll at a +2.

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #118 on: November 06, 2017, 01:00:08 PM »

Too strong, I think.  I'd condense it down to only apply to one unit, but give the unit the Cge bump.  So it passes pre-combat checks and gets +2 Cge this turn.

I still think Oathbound works better as a card that lets you save the unit when you blow the rout check.  Damage prevention, auto-pass any follow up rout checks, and rally the unit at the end of the turn.  So a hole still opens in the HE line, but you don't have your Knights or your Celestial Guard just picked up because you boned a Cge 13 Yellow check.

I would change the 2nd half to "During any courage phase, after one of your units routs, you may play re-roll that courage check at a +2 courage.  So two units automatically pass fear/pre-combat OR one re-roll at a +2.

Waaaay overpowered.  It's outright better than Cold Blooded when it comes to a reroll and it has an additional option.  This is house rules, so you guys do whatever you'd like in your home games, but this ain't making the jump to the Rules Team forum.   8)