Author Topic: Whole lotta nerfin'  (Read 1784 times)

gull2112

• From the RUSH faction
    • Meditations on Brain Injury
Whole lotta nerfin'
« on: January 17, 2012, 10:22:27 PM »
I was going to add this to the big guy thread, but I don't want to get too far off topic. I think there is too much tweaking and nerfing. Too much too soon. To qualify for a nerf something should be to the point where people don't want to play vs. an opponent who is fielding such a unit. Other than the wall of abominations I really haven't seen anything that was that far out of line. Yes, there can be swingy things, but they balance out across all factions. The one green card limit is completely unnecessary IMHO. I prefer the Orcs and I have never used two green cards, Yes, it is incredibly deadly, but it means I have to but both my eggs in one basket and I don't care to do that. I'm not bringing this up to start a case by case debate on all the various nerfs and tweaks, what I am saying is, that I for one, think there is too much of it going on in general. I think it needlessly complicates the game with exceptions and special cases, etc. and at the same time reduces the flavor.

One of my pet peeves is the habit of removing effective tactics by changing cards or unit abilities that come about once folks are familiar with the faction. So what if certain double green cards are really effective? It is rare, not something that can be counted on, and if my opponent is building a strategy around getting a certain combo together, then that gives me time to play my own shenanigans.

I'm not trying to reverse what has already been done, its water under the bridge. What I am attempting to do is to pull in the reins on all this tweaking and nerfing. Am I alone with this sentiment?
"Rules are only as good as the book they're bound in."
http://gullsbattleground.blogspot.com/

Kevin

Re: Whole lotta nerfin'
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 10:57:49 PM »
It's been well over a month since any nerfs were seriously proposed on anything.  The "big guy thread" has been about giving them a boost (something I've generally been resisting) not a nerf.

As to double-Orc-Frenzy, I've had it happen to me, Niko had it happen to him.  IMHO few things are more annoying than spotting a problem, sounding the alarm, having absolutely nothing done about it, then, sure enough, a year later you get totally hosed and what otherwise could have been an interesting game is ruined.

Your mileage may vary, of course.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 11:10:37 PM by Kevin »
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

BubblePig

Re: Whole lotta nerfin'
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 07:36:56 PM »
What I am attempting to do is to pull in the reins on all this tweaking and nerfing. Am I alone with this sentiment?
I would like the rule set to be more static as well. But the problem should be self-correcting with no rein-pulling needed.

I am sure I stated this elsewhere, but I am of the opinion that:
'Faction creep' is (or was) real.
The tweaks and nerfs are largely justified.
We are close to parity now.
Once we achieve 'close enough' to parity, there won't be enough consensus to push through any more tweaks and nerfs unless more 'faction creep' occurs.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 07:42:12 PM by BubblePig »