Author Topic: Kickstarter is live!  (Read 8093 times)

NegativeZer0

• Playtester
Re: Kickstarter is live!
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2014, 09:47:38 PM »
Also minor suggestion:
If you have a specific KS related question (like the one above from gpman), ask it on the KS itself so chad can answer it there.  This does 2 things, 1 people get to see the question/answer, 2 active comments section boosts the placement of this project on KS website meaning more people see it.

it wasn't really a question, just a lament  8)  but if I have any questions I'll make sure to ask them on the KS page  ;)

BTW - I wasn't asking to get anything sooner, was just lamenting the wait.  I understand how this works and am grateful just to have the chance to get everything I need / want.  I'm very new to this game that seems to have been around for a long time (still don't know how I missed it all these years).

As to the wait:  the only other project I've supported was SJ Games OGRE and that was over a year late by the time we got our hands on it (that in no way is a comment on this or any other ks project - just my experience).  Well worth the wait for me but I was like a kid on Xmas Eve and dawn never came.....

Just to clarify I only mentioned this to point out that conversation on the KS is helpful.  Sorry if that came across any-other way.
Quote from: Chad_YMG
Cards are definitely good to have, but I like punching my opponent in the face, too!

Hannibal

• Administrator

Chad_YMG

• Administrator
    • Your Move Games
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2014, 02:47:29 PM »
And, not that it's a goal or anything, we've broken $5,000.

It's also interesting to note that our second most popular reward (behind "just the new faction please") is the $100 pledge, which includes both historical sets, terrain and Kingdoms.  That suggests that we're having some success at bringing in new players, although since we're letting people swap out historic for fantasy it could be existing players who are picking up AvP and then adding a couple of fantasy factions they never picked up.
David Humphrey está todavía en la Colina 217.
      - From Spanish translation of Hill 218 rules

gull2112

• Administrator
  • From the RUSH faction
    • Meditations on Brain Injury
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2014, 04:41:36 PM »
Since I already own everything, as well as multiple copies of several things, I'm hoping I can swap some for YMG dice. Everything else will go to win-the-deck tournaments. :)

Nothing says BMAB (big man about Battleground) like YMG dice!
"Rules are only as good as the book they're bound in."
http://gullsbattleground.blogspot.com/

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2014, 04:59:05 PM »
It's also interesting to note that our second most popular reward (behind "just the new faction please") is the $100 pledge, which includes both historical sets, terrain and Kingdoms.  That suggests that we're having some success at bringing in new players, although since we're letting people swap out historic for fantasy it could be existing players who are picking up AvP and then adding a couple of fantasy factions they never picked up.

Some numbers as follow up:

$45 Hypaspist (AvP Basic + reinforcement) pledge:  50% of backers, 38% of funds raised.

$45 Historian (Basic Game for Punic Wars & AvP) pledge:  5% of backers, 4% of funds raised.

$100 pledge:  20% of backers, 40% of funds raised.

I've been examining supporters as they pledge and a lot of the Historian and the $100 pledges are coming from the UK and Australia.  To my knowledge, we don't have strong communities there, so I think these are new folks jumping into the game.  And those two places tend to enjoy historical games, so I imagine that's the appeal for them.  They're pretty much accounting for a quarter of pledges and almost half of what we've raised so far.

Of course, the next biggest is the Hypaspist pledge, which is a lot of people who are into the game essentially preordering it.   ;D

Two other metrics on which we're doing very well:

1)  Video plays.  My research said that a 40-45% rate of having people finish the video is good.  We're currently at 46% and have been as high as 50%, so we've done really well there.  Especially since this is one of kickstarter's internal metrics.

2)  Views to Pledges ratio.  This is the number of people who pledge divided by the number of people who view the video.  I've heard everything from .25% is good to anything between 1-20% is good.  We're at 26%, which is pretty good by most metrics, although I think this number is artificially a bit high for a couple of reasons. 

First, I think that while the audience of gamers is small, they're more willing to spend.  Gamers are always looking for the new hotness.  Second, I think BGFW is simply an easy thing to support monetarily.  Forget about miniatures, AvP cost the same (or less) than many miniatures rulebooks!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 05:06:48 PM by Hannibal »

gull2112

• Administrator
  • From the RUSH faction
    • Meditations on Brain Injury
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2014, 09:32:46 PM »
I am curious, what do you do with all the extra money you get from KS. At this point it is pretty small potatoes, but I hear of folks who get 10X their goal or more, and I always wonder where all that unexpected money goes.

Is there a chance it will fast track another deck? Does it go into more stock to support the larger than anticipated demand? Will it pay for another run of Hawkshold so we can get those new deluxe chinese cards (expanding the definition of fine china)? Rereading this, I realize you might imagine me with a raised eyebrow and a frown, but I assure you this is not the case at all. If it means your long suffering wife finally gets some bling, good by me.  ;) I'm just curious if KS has any guidelines for unexpected windfalls, or if you have any plans for unexpected largesse?

Obviously, what I think you should do is fly Forum devotees from around the world (or at least as far away as Minnesota) to Boston for a major celebratory week long gamefest!  ::)
"Rules are only as good as the book they're bound in."
http://gullsbattleground.blogspot.com/

elgin_j

• Playtester
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2014, 12:45:54 AM »
It's probably worth noting that the picture for the campaign is considerably more colouful and better looking than many other campaigns. I suspect you draw in a lot of browsers as a result.
toodle pip

Chad_YMG

• Administrator
    • Your Move Games
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2014, 08:31:46 AM »
I am curious, what do you do with all the extra money you get from KS. At this point it is pretty small potatoes, but I hear of folks who get 10X their goal or more, and I always wonder where all that unexpected money goes.

While a Kickstarter project can be many things, at its heart it is often basically a pre-order system.  Many companies set their "ask" at the cost of producing their product; we set ours at less than that for a variety of reasons.  In any case, the "extra" money isn't really "extra".  It just means that pre-orders are more than what the company needed to go ahead.  The extra might mean a bigger print run, that another product comes out sooner, more marketing spend or just more profits.  :)  Get it?  More profits?  Like there were profits to go up?  :)

In our case, cash flow from games sets the pace for any new releases.  More cash can accelerate the next Battleground faction (perhaps vampires, perhaps Aztecs vs. Conquistadores) and/or make development of Space Flick get more serious.  If we raise enough on this particular Kickstarter we have a stretch goal (not yet revealed officially) to produce the Greek Mercenaries.

iamJMAN00793

• Playtester
  • This is Sparta!
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2014, 01:48:16 PM »
I am really looking forward to the Greek Mercs. Also we just broke $6000 on KS.
Every man dies. Not every man really lives. ~ Braveheart

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2014, 03:06:50 PM »
For all our EU brethren, Chad has just found a way to make the Alexander vs Persia kickstarter EU-Friendly.  Pass the word!

Also, we're closing in on our $9,000 stretch goal.  Soooo close.

And this coming Monday we'll have something to unveil....

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2014, 02:08:38 PM »
And here's that announcement I talked about.

Long and short:  we hit our fourth stretch goal, and if we reach $18,000 we'll be printing the Greek City-States faction!

iamJMAN00793

• Playtester
  • This is Sparta!
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2014, 05:49:38 PM »
So if we don't reach the $18000 mark are the Greek City States cancelled?
Every man dies. Not every man really lives. ~ Braveheart

Chad_YMG

• Administrator
    • Your Move Games
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2014, 09:12:23 AM »
The Greek City States were never on the roadmap.  They weren't ruled out, but basically it costs a lot to do the art, graphic design and printing of a faction so we need to have some confidence that we'll at least get that back, eventually.  $18K in this KS is enough to pull the trigger; if we don't hit that we'll still look carefully at how much AvP we do sell and make a judgment.  Still, I'd guess the odds weren't high.

As I said in the Kickstarter, Battleground is a niche product.  That's OK, but I need to be very careful about avoiding niche factions within a niche product.

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2014, 09:54:37 AM »
Corey is gonna kill me for saying this, but I'd rather see a reprint of the Hawks with new art and the updated command cards[1].  However, that cat is out of the bag already.  Maybe that would be an option if the Wuxing KS does well?

[1] - Not that the Greek City States faction isn't exciting because it is!
"Art as expression, not as market campaigns
Will still capture our imaginations"
-Rush, Natural Science

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2014, 10:27:34 AM »
As I said in the Kickstarter, Battleground is a niche product.  That's OK, but I need to be very careful about avoiding niche factions within a niche product.

And Chad is right to have such a high level of caution.  Solid data on customer preferences is really hard to come by in this industry, and so he was right to be wary of whether or not there was enough demand for a historical faction like this.  Personally, I felt that there has always been a strong desire for ancient armies, but in all honesty it was just intuition.  Putting this goal on the kickstarter was a test to see if there was the demand for it.  My hope is that if we don't make it but get close, that's enough to greenlight the project for its own kickstarter.

And as much as I hate to start down a path of "the revolution eating its children," I certainly hope that Spain vs Aztecs receives the same critical eye.  My personal intuition is that those two factions fall much more into the niche-of-a-niche category than hoplites or medieval knights.

Corey is gonna kill me for saying this, but I'd rather see a reprint of the Hawks with new art and the updated command cards[1].  However, that cat is out of the bag already.  Maybe that would be an option if the Wuxing KS does well?

[1] - Not that the Greek City States faction isn't exciting because it is!

Naw, I don't hold that sentiment against you at all.  In fact I think reprinting Hawkshold should be done, and kickstarter would be a good way to do it.  I'd actually prefer there be a Version 2 of the faction with new art, updated command cards, an additional unit, and maybe a few tweaks to existing units.

I really think that there's a place for an all purpose "BGFW v2" kickstarter.  Rather than just focus on one faction, we could have it be an escalating reprint depending on the funding level:  start with reprinting Hawkshold, then add as stretch goals reprinting all the errata cards/units, then maybe reprinting old decks using new art (e.g. different art for the Undead deck so that Strike and Force look different).  I know of a miniatures company that is right now doing something similar, where they're converting their lead to resin, and they have a "if we fund we'll convert X teams, stretch goal 1 is X+1 teams, etc.".

Anyway, this is just me spitballing ideas.  Let's get through this kickstarter first.  ;)