Author Topic: Online game error: "Splash: recv failed"  (Read 5783 times)

hipsu

Online game error: "Splash: recv failed"
« on: May 14, 2009, 11:32:48 AM »
At the startup it instantly gives me this error message and terminates. I have Windows vista 32 bit and the latest Java Version 6 Update 13. What's wrong?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 03:04:18 PM by hipsu »

andrewgr

Re: Online game error: "Splash: recv failed"
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 12:55:33 PM »
The most likely cause of this is that you have a firewall or antivirus software that is blocking java webstart.

If it is your firewall, you should be able to fix this by adding java to your trusted applications list (how to do this differs from firewall program to firewall program, but is usually straightforward).  For 32 bit, you would add C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0\bin\javaws.exe to your trusted applications (where you'll need to check on your harddrive to see exactly what should go in place of the "jre1.6.0" in that path-- on my computer, it's "jre6"-- just figure out which directory has the javaws.exe program inside of a subdirectory named "bin", and that's the path you want to use).

hipsu

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 01:06:11 PM »
Nope. For test purposes I disabled my (Comodo) firewall / antivirus completely and it didn't help. And windows firewall is disabled also. The error hits instantly after double clicking the Hill_218.jnlp so I don't think it has time to even try to connect anywhere..

And by the way, should Hill_218.jnlp really be only 836 bytes big? Seems awfully small...

andrewgr

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 01:57:47 PM »
If you've got Comodo firewall, then it's 99% likely that the problem is what I described.  If you do a google search on "Splash: recv failed", almost all of the hits have to do with this exact product.  There are very few hits for any reason other than Comodo firewall.  I think the chances of this being a coincidence-- you hitting an error that is very rarely seen, and when it's seen is almost always caused by one particular product that isn't even that ubiquitous, and you have that product on your computer-- are very, very small.  Not impossible, but small.

Can you try adding javaws.exe (with the proper path) to your Trusted Applications path and rebooting, just to humor me?

w/r/t the size of the file-- 836 bytes is the correct size.  This is a java webstart application.  The 836 byte file is a plain text file (you can look at it in notepad) that tells java where to check to see if a more recent version of the actual app is available, and if so, download it; if there's no more recent version available, or if you don't have internet connection, it will use the version cached locally.

hipsu

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 02:35:55 PM »
I added it to the Trusted list, My own safe files, everything I could think of, in addition to disabling the Comodo altogether. But it didn't work.
But I googled and I believe you since everywhere they blame Comodo.

But I got it working by adding -Xnosplash to the shortcut path (so it skips the splash) so no worries anymore.

andrewgr

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 03:11:27 PM »
Great, thanks for being so patient!