Author Topic: Greeks vs Umenzi: Key Objective, 2000 pts  (Read 1057 times)

Hannibal

• Administrator
Greeks vs Umenzi: Key Objective, 2000 pts
« on: December 19, 2013, 02:24:15 AM »
After far too long we finally got a chance to sit down and start knocking out the last playtests.  We opted to go with Greeks vs Umenzi, playing Key Objective on Map 3E.

Umenzi:  2 Atlatlmen, 2 Javelineers, 1 Possessed, 2 High Priests, 2 Giant War Elephants

Greeks:  4 Corinthian Hoplites, 2 Bithnyian Peltasts, 2 Rhodian Slingers, 1 Thracian cavalry, 1 Theban Sacred Band

Greek units for reference:

Corinthean Hoplites - Core – 295 pts
O:(7*)5*/5*  D:2/3  Rge:-  Cge: 12  Mv: 3.5"  6G/2Y/2R
Phalanx, Ponderous.

Bithnyian Peltasts – Standard - 80 pts
O:(3)5/4  D:1*/0  Rge:5”  Cge: 11  Mv: 5"  3G/1Y/2R
Skirmisher, Javelins, Impulsive (At the start of any turn Bithnyian Peltasts are within 7" of an enemy unit's center point, its orders change to Close).  No Lock Shields box.  D: +2/+0 vs ranged attacks.

Thracian Cavalry – Standard - 127 pts
O:(3)5/4*  D:2*/1  Rge: 3.5”  Cge: 12  Mv: 7"  2G/2Y/2R
Cavalry, Javelins.  No Lock Shields box.  O:(+0)+0/+1  D: +1/+0 when charging.

Rhodian Slingers – Elite - 100 pts
O:(3)5*/6*  D:1*/0  Rge: 7”  Cge: 11  Mv: 5"  2G/2Y/2R
Skirmisher.  No Lock Shields box.  D: +2/+0 vs ranged attacks.  O:(-0)-2/-3 if engaged.

Theban Sacred Band - Elite - 321 pts
O:(7*)5*/5*  D:3/2  Rge:-  Cge: 13  Mv: 3.5"  6G/2Y/3R
Phalanx, Ponderous.  If this unit marks a Green box from Deep Ranks, choose one Core unit with a Lock Shields box marked due to Deep Ranks.  That unit gets +1 Cge for the game.

My strategy was pretty simple here:  the peltasts (& slingers) would delay (and take off a few boxes from) the Giant War Elephant while my line would break his and start the pinching.

Deployment

Greeks (L->R):  Thracian cavalry, [Space], Corinthians, Corinthians, Corinthians & Sacred Band in front of Corinthians.  The Corinthians & Sacred Band were behind a skirmisher screen of Bithnyians, Rhodians, Rhodians, & Bithnyians.

Umenzi (L->R):  Possessed in front of High Priests, [Space], Javelineers in front of Atlatlmen, Javelineers in front of Atlatlmen, High Priests, two sideways facing Giant Ware Elephants (GWE).

One GWE, that I was expecting.  Two?  Not so much.  Still the plan was basically the same.  Luckily though, this meant that the Umenzi line was even shorter than I thought and I actually had the advantage in units.

The Thracians on the far left?  I took them because I had the spare points and figured any mayhem I caused was a victory for me.  As it turned out, a 123 pt unit drew off 197 pts of Umenzi.

Skirmisher Screen

By the way they were deployed, the two GWEs ended up moving up in a disjointed way and my Slingers started whittling them down.  But the Umenzi Javelins (from the javelineers and the GWE) actually forced checks on two of my skirmishers, causing the Bithnyians to Disrupt.

Elephants Delayed

The two armies met down the line.  On the left of the lake, the Thracians charged the Possessed, starting the long process of whittling them down.  On the other side of the lake, the Javelineers and Corinthians met, with the Greeks getting the better of it.  However, the Umenzi passed all their Yellow checks.

On the right the Giant War Elephants both charged skirmishers.  One unit of Rhodian Slingers failed its rout check and fled the field.  The unit of Bithnyians charged by the GWE on the far right passed its rout check, but the follow-up shooting destroyed them.  Both units of skirmishers ended up destroyed, but they'd served their purpose by holding up the Elephants for a few crucial turns.

Elephant Withdraws

Seeing that he was about to get his GWE flanked, Scott pulled back one while the other GWE moved up to engage.  In the center, the Corinthians beat on the Javelineers but they have stubbornly (and quite rudely ;D) refused to run away.  On the far side of the lake, the Possessed took a beating but refused to flee.

The Moment of Truth

On the Umenzi's next turn, the GWe's charge again: one into the Corinthians and one into the Rhodian Slingers.  In the center, the Corinthians have destroyed the Javelineers and the Atlatlmen have stepped into the fray.  With all of this, its rout checks all around:  both units of Atlatlmen, two units of Corinthians, the charging GWE, and the Rhodian slingers.

Everyone failed. 

Yes.  Everyone. EV-RY-ONE

Five Courage 12 checks.  One Courage 11 check.  Every.  Single.  One of them.  Failed.

Follow Up

With both sides dealing with cascading routs, it was a race to see who could recover.  When the GWE went crashing into the Corinthians, it found itself pinched by the Theban Sacred Band.  The combined pressure of the two units ran of the War Elephant, but they couldn't finish the job.  Meanwhile, the Corinthians pressed the advantage by charging the rallied Atlatlmen.  The Greeks had the advantage in numbers, but the T4 of the War Elephants was a steep hill to climb. 

On the far left of the hill, the Thracians had finally destroyed the Possessed and now found themselves fighting the High Priests.  The Thracians could make them test, but those Umenzi simply wouldn't run.

Second Charge

The inside GWE slammed into the flank of the Sacred Band while the outer War Elephant rallied from its ignominious flight.  In the center, the High Priest moved forward to buy time holding off the Corinthians.  The Atlatlmen passed another rout check.  Sheesh, other than one bad turn, these guys simply wouldn't quit!

Meaningless Flank Resolution

On the far left, the Thracian Cavalry destroyed the High Priests, but were Disrupted in the process.  On the far right, the outer GWE charged back in while the other routed the Theban Sacred Band (but whiffed when it came to the free attacks).  In the center, the Corinthians made quick work of the Atlatlmen and the High Priests.

Revenge of the Elephants

Only two Umenzi units were left on the field.  Unfortunately, they were the two Giant War Elephants.  One had a free run at the flank of Corinthians.  On the outside, the other Elephant crushed the Corinthians underfoot.

Lord of Death and Flatness

The GWE follows up with his flank charge by charging a unit of Corinthians on Hold.  The Corinthians failed their terrifying check and the War Elephant hit with everything, one shotting the Corinthians on the charge.

And like that it, was two battered phalanxes against two blooded Giant War Elephants.

Greek Mistake

The final unit of Corinthians flanked the GWE and I made the mistake of drawing command cards before realizing the Sacred Band would expose their flank.  The Corinthians made is especially needless by bringing down the War Elephant single handedly.

Endgame

The remaining Elephant made quick work of the Sacred Band, leaving a showdown with the Corinthians.  The phalanx was forced to charge because the Elephant controlled the objective, even passing the Terrifying check.  However, the Corinthians couldn't inflict that final red box and instead the GWE forced a rout check.  When the Corinthians failed, that was the game: the Umenzi won with one Red box left on the table!

We tallied the points:
Umenzi:  2303
Greeks:  1813

A 1.27 ratio made it a 4-2 win for the Umenzi! 

Post-Game Thoughts:  Well, that was one of the crazier games I've played in awhile.  One point.  The Umenzi won with one point left...

It proves something that I've said forever:  the Giant War Elephant is probably the best big guy.  The ability to control them for a single CA and the ability to play Command Cards on them at no penalty is simply huge.

As far as the Greeks, I actually like the way this game worked out.  I figured with lots of dice against a weak defense would make the Umenzi a walkover, and the Greeks did pretty much mince the Umenzi's infantry, but the T4 of the War Elephant was much, much harder to overcome.  Even when braced on Hold, the phalanxes have a fairly mediocre Courage against that Terrifying check.  This starts to give me hope that the phalanxes might not be broken against big guys.  We'll see when we played them against Monsters & Mercs.

NegativeZer0

• Playtester
Re: Greeks vs Umenzi: Key Objective, 2000 pts
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 02:13:54 PM »
ALL HAIL MUMAKIL, BRINGER OF DEATH AND FLATNESS!
Quote from: Chad_YMG
Cards are definitely good to have, but I like punching my opponent in the face, too!

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 12:59:41 PM »

Everyone failed. 

Five Courage 12 checks.  One Courage 11 check.  Every.  Single.  One of them.  Failed.

Sorry man, but I'm still laughing at this.

And yes indeed!  HAIL!
"I have memory and awareness - But I have no shape or form
As a disembodied spirit I am dead and yet unborn
I have passed into Olympus as was told in tales of old
To the city of Immortals, marble white, and purest gold"
-Rush, Hemispheres

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 01:44:14 PM »

Everyone failed. 

Sorry man, but I'm still laughing at this.

Don't be sorry, it was freaking hilarious.  It made what we felt was gonna be a rather dull game fairly interesting.