Author Topic: Rules re-write suggestion thread  (Read 33914 times)

wotanson

Re: Rules re-write suggestion thread
« Reply #120 on: June 10, 2011, 01:17:28 PM »
Is there actually a current version of the rules for BGFW? I'm starting to get really confused. I'm no dullard, and I even got me one of them college degrees lying around somewhere. I love this game, but the ever shifting ruleset is starting to get me more than a little PO'ed. I appreciate just how much time and effort is going into this, something I could never do, much less have the patience to start, and I salute the attempt to create a more readable and user friendly set of rules. So it safe to say that 3.0 rulebook is the "official" ruleset? And how much time before we see a 3.1 or 3.5 version?
Fuck Robert the Bruce!

Old, fat, ugly and crusty, and thems my good points.

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #121 on: June 10, 2011, 02:15:01 PM »
Yes for all the changes discussed, the official rulebook is 3.0.  I have no idea where the stuff with Chad's stamp o' approval sits.  Probably in the "not official but it will be the next time there's a ruleset."

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #122 on: June 10, 2011, 03:14:43 PM »
A point of concern is how do you deal with all of these rules changes if you are demoing BG at a convention or running an event?  Do you just stick with the 3.0 rules?
"We are young wandering the face of the Earth
Wondering what our dreams might be worth
Learning that we're only immortal for a limited time"
-Rush, Dreamline

Zelc

« Reply #123 on: June 10, 2011, 03:28:01 PM »
I would stick w/ 3.0 rules, maybe using Dave's errata file.

wotanson

« Reply #124 on: June 10, 2011, 04:21:18 PM »
Wow, I sounded really bitchy there for a minute, whoops!
Fuck Robert the Bruce!

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #125 on: June 10, 2011, 04:28:27 PM »
Not really.  There are a massive amount of rules modifications in the works and even I am not sure of the status for most of them.  I didn't follow the rules discussions to the letter, but I did at least skim over all of them.  Very confusing indeed.
"We are young wandering the face of the Earth
Wondering what our dreams might be worth
Learning that we're only immortal for a limited time"
-Rush, Dreamline

gull2112

• From the RUSH faction
    • Meditations on Brain Injury
« Reply #126 on: June 10, 2011, 05:19:05 PM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I've been sparring with Kevin trying to get him off the whole tweak-to-perfection-kick. As far as I'm concerned the official stamp of approval from Chad puts it in the hopper for the next edition of the rules. It also means that its gonna be the way the game is played in any tourney that Kevin's putting up the dough for, but if he doesn't slow down he might not have anybody showing up or at least he will end up disqualifying all the participants. ;D

My honest feeling is that beyond the corner charge issue, I don't think any of the other rules recently make a hills worth of difference to most folks. Part of the fun of this game is pulling out the massive damage attack combo and if these keep getting nerfed we might as all go take a bath in warm vanilla yogurt.
"Rules are only as good as the book they're bound in."
http://gullsbattleground.blogspot.com/

Kevin

« Reply #127 on: June 10, 2011, 11:35:51 PM »
I would recommend using the 3.0 rules unmodified for casual games, and the updated list for serious tournaments (which, so far as I can tell at the moment, means Council of 5 Nations [1] and Championship)--or if you plan to go to these and want to be used to playing by those rules.

The changes will probably all be incorporated into a new 3.1 rulebook which comes out with the next release (Alexander/Persia.  I'm not sure when that'll come out.  The first half of 2012, perhaps?)

The total number of changes between 3.0 and 3.1 rulebooks will likely be fewer than the number of changes between the 2.4 and 3.0 rulebooks.  The big difference is that the new package of changes is based more on community input (75%+ of which is from people other than me), and are mostly known ahead of time.  For some reason Gull considers this a problem. *shrug*

[1] Niko is presumably judging Council of 5 Nations, and it's of course his call on which rules to use.  Historically Niko has used all the latest rules, so I'm assuming he'll be doing that again.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 11:41:47 PM by Kevin »
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

Niko White

• Celestial Guard
  • A tíro nin, Fanuilos!
« Reply #128 on: June 10, 2011, 11:42:23 PM »

Yeah, the big difference with current rules changes is that we're hashing them out on the board rather than me and Chad sitting in Chad's attic/office figuring out the 3.0 rules.  For all official purposes, 3.0 are the current rules.  I've been using them for demoing and everything except test games to either try the new rules, or with upcoming factions that are likely to use them.

If people think it'd be more productive (and I think it might well be) we could make an invite-only "Rules Team" section, to avoid confusing newer players with all the rules change talk, sort of like the faction development subforum Corey has going on.

wotanson

« Reply #129 on: June 11, 2011, 11:01:23 AM »
Great idea!
Fuck Robert the Bruce!

Niko White

• Celestial Guard
  • A tíro nin, Fanuilos!
« Reply #130 on: June 11, 2011, 02:30:44 PM »

I've implemented it.  Please feel free to suggest moves to the new forum, or just to do it if you're an admin.  I'm multitasking with running a Magic event and need to get back to that, so I'm pretty sure I missed some threads.