Author Topic: Copy of new rules before going to print (Wuxing)  (Read 2431 times)

NegativeZer0

Copy of new rules before going to print (Wuxing)
« on: October 18, 2013, 09:22:15 AM »
Can we get a pdf of the rules (exactly as they will appear in the Wuxing rule book) BEFORE they go off to print so we can go through them.  A lot has changed and I would like to see them verified by as many people as possible not only for accuracy but for suggestions on improving readability as well.

Quote from: Chad_YMG
Cards are definitely good to have, but I like punching my opponent in the face, too!

Chad_YMG

• Administrator
    • Your Move Games
Re: Copy of new rules before going to print (Wuxing)
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 10:21:04 AM »
I like this.
David Humphrey está todavía en la Colina 217.
      - From Spanish translation of Hill 218 rules

Kevin

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 11:05:02 AM »
I posted the google doc which tracks rule changes, but that's all I've got.  Rumor has it that Corey has an updated rulebook.  Corey...care to post it publicly (in the Rules section I suppose)?
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 11:18:27 AM »
I have a version, but it hasn't been updated for the dice charge and there's a few other things that were off.  It might be better to let whomever is responsible for doing the new rulebook start from scratched (the 3.0 rules and then the changes).

Chad who is responsible for compiling the new rulebook?  Is that Kaile?  Somebody else?

Oh and on a side note, I agree with negativezero.  At the very least, some of the wording for the stamped rules could be cleaned up & made more concise.  For example, the charge bonus:
3.2.3.2.1 Charging

Charging units get (+2) +0/+0 if they have at least 4 base, engaged dice.  Otherwise they get (+1) +0/+0.

Base, engaged dice are equal to on the number of attack dice printed on a unit card, modified by any bonus dice automatically gained while engaged (e.g. crossbowmen, but not Lizardmen Blood Frenzy), and by the unit being in the yellow or red.  No other modifiers, from any source, affect units’ base dice.

I think "base, engaged" dice could be better worded.  I don't exactly know how right off the top of my head, but it can be more concise while conveying the same message.

Kevin

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 12:07:28 PM »
3.2.3.2.1 Charging

Charging units get (+2) +0/+0 if they have at least 4 base, engaged dice.  Otherwise they get (+1) +0/+0.

Base, engaged dice are equal to on the number of attack dice printed on a unit card, modified by any bonus dice automatically gained while engaged (e.g. crossbowmen, but not Lizardmen Blood Frenzy), and by the unit being in the yellow or red.  No other modifiers, from any source, affect units’ base dice.
I think "base, engaged" dice could be better worded.  I don't exactly know how right off the top of my head, but it can be more concise while conveying the same message.

For what it's worth, the quick reference card just says "4+ base dice" and "0-3 base dice", as there wasn't enough room to say "base, engaged dice."

I have a version, but it hasn't been updated for the dice charge and there's a few other things that were off.  It might be better to let whomever is responsible for doing the new rulebook start from scratched (the 3.0 rules and then the changes).

Chad who is responsible for compiling the new rulebook?  Is that Kaile?  Somebody else?

Either way.  The google doc is up to date, so whoever should have a pretty easy time putting together the new rulebook.
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

gull2112

• From the RUSH faction
    • Meditations on Brain Injury
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 02:33:59 PM »
Assuming the rules haven't gone to print yet, even though it has been at least 120 days since the last post. Here is what I propose:

Basic game. The basic game rules would just explain the basic rules without exceptions due to unit types (except those explicitly outlined on the cards), or special situations. It would include setup first turn rules and general rules like terrain.

Standard game. The standard game rules would include all the rules for unit types, including info not specified on  cards (like skirmisher rules), terrain, and special situations (and "corner cases"). One of the primary components of the Standard game would be the addition of Keyword rules.

The advantage to this is it allows for a clear explanation of a rule, like the Close Special Order rule, without the myriad exceptions (like skirmishers) that require additional clauses. Often times, as the rules evolve, this will allow central rules mechanics to remain untouched while keyword mechanics get erratted or clarified. It is much easier to modify one section than have to adjust the core rules every time.

Central to the Basic/Standard rules structure would be the explicit understanding that the Basic game rules stand unless modified by Standard game rules, i.e. Cosmic Encounters.

BTW - If the rules haven't gone to press by May, then I will volunteer to head this rewrite up. I will be finished with school by then and will be starting my retirement in earnest.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 02:36:41 PM by gull2112 »
"Rules are only as good as the book they're bound in."
http://gullsbattleground.blogspot.com/