Author Topic: Championship 2014  (Read 18317 times)

Kevin

• Administrator
Championship 2014
« on: October 16, 2013, 12:02:04 PM »
Hey everyone,

Update:  The Championship 2014 Tournament will be at Pandemonium Books & Games, Cambridge, Mass. March 22-23.

Entry fee:  $10

-------------------

Though in general the format will be similar, three things will be new.

1)  Asymmetrical Warfare!  After the success of this format at Co5N, half of the games will feature Asymmetrical Warfare, where players will bid on a "package" of boosts & nerfs.

2)  Awesome non-cash prizes!  The pure-cash prizes aren't happening this time around, but I've got some good stuff for you all, including...

- The complete set of Order of the Stick (epic fantasy webcomic) books printed to date. (7 books!)
- 12 precision-manufactured titanium dice!
- The complete set of "Age of Bronze," graphic novels about the Trojan War, published to date.  (4 books!)
- A wearable replica steel centurion helmet
- Several sword-like letter openers

Winner gets first pick, #2 gets second pick, etc.

3)  The ability to kick my ass!

Tim and others complained that winning the Championship tournament is less glorious than it could be since the winner didn't get to gut my army along the way.  So you all get your wish!  :)  My assistant will handle the real-time administrative stuff & measurements, and any rules issues in my games will be resolved by other players.  I also promise not to play any faction which I give beneficial home-rules to.  (For example, I make some High Elf units cheaper, so I won't play High Elves.)

Saturday Schedule:

Game 1:  2000 points, Ticking Clock (Battle at Dusk), Terrain.

Game 2:  2000 points, Total Warfare, Terrain, special package bid (See below.)

Game 3:  1750 (3 CAs, 3 Core, 1 Elite), Total Warfare, Open Map + Night battle. (= Secret-and-simultaneous deployment and range attacks have a maximum range of 7".)

Game 4:  2000 or 2250 points, (either way 4CAs, 4 Core, 2 Elite), Total Warfare, Terrain, Special Package bid #2 (See below.)

In game 4 players will choose 2000 or 2250 points.  If they both agree, the game is played at this level.  If they disagree, it will be determined randomly before all other pre-game determinations.

Game 5:  tiebreaker round, played only by those who went 2-2.  (See below.)

-------------
Special package bid rules:  After seeing the terrain but before army build, players secretly-and-simultaneously bid on how many army build points they will pay for the package.  The high bidder gets it, and spends a number of points equal to the average of the two bids.  These spent points are considered part of that player's army for purposes of determining which army is cheaper.

Example:  Player A player bids 203 points for a package; Player B bids bids 220 points.  Player B gets the package for 211.5 points.  Player A's army is 1982 points of units.  Player B's army consists of 1750 points of units and 1 Command Card.  Player B's cost is considered 1750 +  25 + 211.5 = 1986.5 points.   Player A is treated as having the cheaper army for purposes of determining deployment & turn order.

-------

Special packages will be announced 1 week before the tournament.

--------------------------
Special rules

- Only players will more wins than losses will advance to the finals.  Any players with a 2-2 record after the Saturday games will play each other in a fifth tiebreaker game Saturday evening.  These games normally will be mini-map. point value 950 + 1d6 * 50.  2 CAs, 2 core 1 elite.  But if both players agree then the tiebreaker game can be something larger.  (Such as 2000, terrain & condition.)

- Rachel, the assistant judge, will be available to resolve any disputed measurements.  Rules disputes will be resolved by the other players.  Kevin will have final judging power on rules disputes, except in games in which he is playing.  

- Table dice will be made available.  Players may use their own dice, but either player may request table dice for the game.

- Card covers will be provided, and are mandatory to use.  These keep the cards from bouncing around.

- One matches have been determined, players may not seek tactical or strategic advice from other players.  Players may, of course, ask about rules at any time.

- Anyone determined to be deliberately cheating will be ejected from the tournament.

As with last time, there will be an assistant judge, who will be available to play games with the "odd person out" if we have an odd number of people. [1]  This game will be a 1500-point open map battle, and it will count toward that person's record.

Special Swiss Rule, which applies to both the Championship and the Sunday Speed tournament:

When two people have the same win-loss record, ties are broken by the win-loss records of the opponents, as is standard.  However, if two people with the same win-loss record have played each other, and whoever lost that game is currently ranked above whoever won it, the person who lost is moved down in rankings to just below the person who won it.

For example, if 4 people go 3-1:  A (opponent record 11-5) B (opponent record 9-7)  C (opponent record 8-8) and D (opponent record 6-10), rankings would normally go A, B, C, D.  If C defeated A, and B defeated D, then rankings will go B, C, A, D.

If there is a "loop" or other paradox, then nobody's rank changes based on the games that formed the loop.  (For example, if in the above example  A beat B, who beat C, who beat A, nobody changes position and the ranks remain A, B, C, D.)

This rule only applies when two people has equal win-loss records.  For example 3-1 always beats 2-2, even if the person who went 2-2 defeated the person who went 3-1.
-------------------------

Other stuff:

- There will be a consolation tournament Sunday.  (a.k.a. Sunday Swiss), assuming at least two people want to play.  The winner of this tournament is treated as coming in 5th place for purpose of prizes.

- Round 1 Saturday matches will be determined randomly.  After that "swiss pairings" will be used, where players will play others with similar records.

- Some Special Rules and unit prices which will be in use.

- As with previous Championship Tournaments, many measures to ensure clean games will be practiced:  table dice, armies verified by judges, and all units are put in provided felt-backed card holders to prevent them from accidentally moving.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 09:33:16 AM by Kevin »
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

GoIndy

• Playtester
Re: Championship 2014
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 12:12:18 PM »
Sounds good, but I got a thought.  How about we pick what army you play Kevin?

I'm feeling some Wuxing love in your future, laugh.

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 04:06:00 PM »
in 2011 and 2012 we did it at Pandemonium Books & Games in Cambridge, Mass.  In 2013 we went to Totalcon gaming convention in Mansfield, Mass.  Totalcon has a lot more people wanting demos, but we ended up with only about half as many players in the tournament.  (It also was less convenient for me, though that's a minor consideration.)

Question for you all:  Do you prefer that we move back to Pandemonium, or stay at Totalcon?  Also please state how strong a preference. It's worth noting that if we do Totalcon it'll be Feb. 22-23 (the con itself goes Feb. 20-23.), while being at Pandemonium may give us more flexibility on the date.
Most Excellent!

My preference is to have it at Total Con.  It's far easier for people traveling from outside the Boston area because the convention is within the hotel itself as opposed to having to book a hotel who-know-where.  It's also easier for our group because it's closer.  In addition, I feel that it may be better for the game in general because Battleground will get far more exposure at a convention than at Pandemonium.  With that being said, the location really won't determine whether or not I come.  I would consider my thoughts on the venue to be of moderate importance.

Though in general the format will be similar, three things will be new.

1)  Asymmetrical Warfare!  After the success of this format at Co5N, half of the games will feature Asymmetrical Warfare, where players will bid on a "package" of boosts & nerfs.

2)  Awesome non-cash prizes!  The pure-cash prizes aren't happening this time around, but I've got some good stuff for you all, including...

- The complete set of Order of the Stick (epic fantasy webcomic) books printed to date.
- 12 precision-manufactured titanium dice
- The complete set of "Age of Bronze," graphic novels about the Trojan War, published to date.
- A wearable metal replica centurion helmet
- Several sword-like letter openers

Winner gets first pick, #2 gets second pick, etc.
Nifty!  The cash prizes where a really sweet bonus, but that's not why we come.  Frankly, you could award Chiclets as prizes and We'll still be there.  That being said, some of these look pretty cool.  And I'm not exactly one to say ANYTHING about the quality of prizes - LOL

And I thought the asymmetrical warfare thing was pretty interesting.  I'm not sure if having half of the games be that way would be the greatest idea, but I for one certainly won't complain about it.  Until the week after when I'm doing the write-ups and I can't recall what packages where what...

3)  The ability to kick my ass!...
Ass kicking or no, it's always great to have an opportunity to play you.
"I have memory and awareness - But I have no shape or form
As a disembodied spirit I am dead and yet unborn
I have passed into Olympus as was told in tales of old
To the city of Immortals, marble white, and purest gold"
-Rush, Hemispheres

Kevin

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 10:19:48 PM »
Sounds good, but I got a thought.  How about we pick what army you play Kevin?

I'm feeling some Wuxing love in your future, laugh.

If at least 4 players, not including myself or Jaime, tell me to play a certain faction, I'll play it.

That said, I find it absolutely hilarious that you're "threatening" to make me play Wuxing!  Most people would call it abusive for a lead developer of a faction to play his own faction in a tournament, at least within a year of when the set comes out.  And yet my reading between the lines suggests that you're thinking the abuse will go the other way!  :)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 10:23:30 PM by Kevin »
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

mjungledog

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 07:01:27 AM »
I would much prefer to play at Pandemonium, but I could do TotalCon if I had to.

Also, you should give some consideration to TempleCon, which is earlier in the month and in my home state of Rhode Island.

My preference would be 60%-40% Pandemonium...
Evil will always triumph because good is dumb!

GoIndy

• Playtester
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 08:55:12 AM »
Like Marcus, I'll probably come regardless of where it is.  However, when the hotel is attached to the convention, that is a huge plus in my book.  I'm about 7-8 hours away personally, it's a pain in the ass to have to drive around before and after. 

There is some possible conflict for me personally if done during March Madness, as I won't come if it is the first weekend of the NCAA tournament.  (Which is like March 18th thru March 22nd)  Well, unless you all plan on going to Vegas with me and my friends.

If you play the Wuxing and everyone is playing DE, Umenzi, HE, or Ravenwood.....you'll be hard to stop.  You run up against a bunch of Mercs, Dwarves, Orcs, and Lizardmen.....good luck.   

Dave-SWA

• The Schenectady Wargamers Association
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 04:42:26 PM »
I strongly prefer the TotalCon option.

I believe the TempleCon hotel is significantly more expensive than the TotalCon hotel for attendees.  Which is also one of my main objections to being at Pandemonium games.

There are also other con-related reasons why I would suggest not going with TempleCon.

-DC

p.s.  Everyone reading this might want to book rooms at the Mansfield Holiday Inn for TotalCon weekend now.  TotalCon went through a stretch of several years where attendance was down, but they are back and fully healthy again.  The hotel sold out last year.

Convention Info Link:  http://totalcon.com/

Hotel Info Link:  http://totalcon.com/HotelInformation.html

Schenectady Wargamers Association
An Adventure Gaming club serving the Capital District of upstate New York for over 40 years.
Council of Five Nations (Sept 29 - Oct 1, 2017) - this is our 40th, the Ruby Anniversary.  It will be extra special this year!
www.swa-gaming.org

Dave-SWA

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 07:44:34 PM »
I also agree with Marcus.  I don't think the asymmetrical warfare/bid on packages idea is well suited for a serious competitive tournament.  I thought it worked great for the Badlands campaign setting, but the direct competitive nature of the Championship tournament is different.

-DC
Schenectady Wargamers Association
An Adventure Gaming club serving the Capital District of upstate New York for over 40 years.
Council of Five Nations (Sept 29 - Oct 1, 2017) - this is our 40th, the Ruby Anniversary.  It will be extra special this year!
www.swa-gaming.org

wotanson

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 08:16:40 PM »
Total Con, doable. Everything else, too expensive.
Fuck Robert the Bruce!

Old, fat, ugly and crusty, and thems my good points.

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 09:32:28 PM »
I also agree with Marcus.  I don't think the asymmetrical warfare/bid on packages idea is well suited for a serious competitive tournament.  I thought it worked great for the Badlands campaign setting, but the direct competitive nature of the Championship tournament is different.

-DC
Just to be clear, I don't think there's anything wrong with the assymetrical warfare in a competative tournament.  I'm just not crazy about the idea of HALF of the games being assymetrical.  If you had say, 1 round of assymetrical warfare in the preliminary rounds and 1 round of it in the finals tree I think that would be neat.  Or something along those lines.  The good thing about that is that you won't have to cook up so many different packages.

I've also been kicking around another regionally based idea - Dessert Warfare.  Because I'm nuts that way  ;D
"I have memory and awareness - But I have no shape or form
As a disembodied spirit I am dead and yet unborn
I have passed into Olympus as was told in tales of old
To the city of Immortals, marble white, and purest gold"
-Rush, Hemispheres

Kevin

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 09:59:59 PM »
Total Con, doable. Everything else, too expensive.

Umm...you are aware that when we did Championship at Pandemonium it was free (and I & others in the area offered offered free lodging), yes?

And to be clear, the choices for this con are limited to Totalcon and Pandemonium.  

-----------
Regarding asymmetric warfare I'll have to decide if 1 or 2 games out of the first 4 should be asymmetric.  (Yeah, and one finals game--probably the semis.)  I'd say that, if anything, an asymmetric warfare game is a more "serious" tournament game, as a higher-skilled player will more accurately assess the value of a "package," and thereby put himself at a larger advantage in the played game.  In other words, relative to a standard game, an asymmetric warfare game's outcome is that much more likely to be determined by skill rather than by dice.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 10:28:56 PM by Kevin »

GoIndy

• Playtester
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 11:12:24 PM »
Ok, couple of thoughts...but I am hammered aferer watching thruday night football.

1)  I think it is more cheaper...because the hotel is cheaper.  We paid like 75 a person with 3 of us to stay 20-30 minutes away at pandemoinuim, or cheaper at point blanjk.  has nothing to do with cost of the con itself

2)  Being able to bid on the pakage is MORE strategy, and better.  If it was random, it is not...being able to bid...completely in your power, therefore, more.  What is better...less, or more?  Me and kevin played the first package deal..even though he won..I dint like it...felt like person choosing had too muh power.  It went bids after...wildly in favor.

Kevin

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 11:32:45 PM »
That was a bit hard to translate, but yes, all "asymmetric warfare" will be the type you like--both players bidding points for a pre-set package.  

I'll write up the packages beforehand, as well as restrictions for when each one should not be used.  (e.g. No packages where a unit becomes fearless if either player is playing Undead or Wuxing where most units are already fearless.)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 11:43:53 PM by Kevin »

NegativeZer0

• Playtester
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2013, 08:22:31 AM »
I'll be honest there's probably only 50% chance I would make this.  
That said I'd be more inclined to make the trip if there was other things to do (totalcon)
If it's at totalcon I will be there.

The other consideration is the next historic faction will hopefully be going up on KS sometime next year.  Playing at totalcon and gaining some more exposure will only help the KS launch.  The better that does day 1 the better the entire project does and obviously if it does well it mean new players.

If we ever want to see this evolve past the small group of players we have now I think totalcon is absolutely the superior choice.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 09:04:14 AM by NegativeZer0 »
Quote from: Chad_YMG
Cards are definitely good to have, but I like punching my opponent in the face, too!

Mexico

• Playtester
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2013, 10:09:30 AM »
NegativeZero raises a good point about kickstarter visibility.

That said, I prefer Pandemonium. We had twice as many players two years ago than we did last year. If the timing works out, we could even give away a membership to TotalCon as one of the prizes.

TotalCon has so much going on, what new or casual player will want to give up most of his weekend for the tournament?

So I guess we have some values to weigh: bigger pool of players, or greater exposure?