Author Topic: The Chad Ellis Ravenwood Review  (Read 38793 times)

gornhorror

• Playtester
  • Goony goo-goo!
Re: The Chad Ellis Ravenwood Review
« Reply #150 on: March 03, 2013, 03:38:07 PM »
He used it twice against me in the semi-finals game.  One time it helped him, the other time it didn't matter.  I believe both times he used it he just wanted the extra attack die, but ended up having to make a rout check also.
Where's this shade, that you got it made?

gull2112

• Administrator
  • From the RUSH faction
    • Meditations on Brain Injury
« Reply #151 on: August 23, 2014, 07:49:44 AM »
Technically, we're all half centaur.
"Rules are only as good as the book they're bound in."
http://gullsbattleground.blogspot.com/

gornhorror

• Playtester
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #152 on: August 25, 2014, 01:43:35 PM »
Just wanted to give some suggestions about improving the Ravenwood command deck.  I do think it is a little lack luster. 

Some changes I would make are:

Aspect of Wolverine: Keep the card as it is now except that the unit gets +2 courage if it has to make a rout check.  There was some talk about increasing the hit dice.  I did forget why that was shot down.

Aspect of Fox: Add and additional (-1) dice if the opposing unit is charging.

Aspect of Bear:  I think that this card should of been switched around giving the unit (+2) +0/+1.   The -1 to offensive skill is too steep of a price to pay with most of the units having a 5/5 offensive stat.

Aspect of Stag: Card is fine as is.  Wouldn't change a thing.

Aspect of Wolf: Card is fine as is.  Wouldn't change a thing.
Where's this shade, that you got it made?

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #153 on: August 26, 2014, 12:11:25 PM »
Aspect of Wolverine: Keep the card as it is now except that the unit gets +2 courage if it has to make a rout check.  There was some talk about increasing the hit dice.  I did forget why that was shot down.

I'm of two minds on this one.  Its an interesting card because you can still play Blue cards with it, so it makes for an interesting card to take on Fearsome units.  You may be right that it could use a little sprucing up (rimshot), but I'm not sure it rises to the level of justifying an errata.

Aspect of Fox: Add and additional (-1) dice if the opposing unit is charging.

That's an interesting take, and I could see it.  I'd actually go a little further and make it a card blocker.  After you play Aspect of the Fox, your opponent can't play any Red cards.

Aspect of Bear:  I think that this card should of been switched around giving the unit (+2) +0/+1.   The -1 to offensive skill is too steep of a price to pay with most of the units having a 5/5 offensive stat.

(+2)+0/+1 is way too good.  Its better than Cunning, and this army already has a faction specific card that is better than Cunning.  Aspect of the Bear is a situational card.  If you play it on a (5)5/5 unit attacking a D:2/2 unit, then its going to produce lackluster results.  But if you play it against a D:1/3 unit, then your Swordsmen go from 1.11 damage to 2 damage.  And if you play it against a D:1/4 unit, you go from .55 damage to 1.5 damage (i.e. 0-1 point to 1-2 points inflicted).  Against the right enemy, Aspect of the Bear is really awesome.

And the flexibility to use it as Blue card is nice.  Especially when the enemy plays Accuracy to be 4s and 4s.  You can play Aspect of the Bear to make almost entirely negate the effect.  And that's just on the D:3/1 Ravenwood units.  On the D:2/2 it's almost an extra Mettle.  And with the Treant or Bear Pack, you can essentially negate his Force card.

I think what you're struggling with is that a lot of Ravenwood cards are very situational.  And that's absolutely true.  Against High Elves, Aspect of the Bear is almost useless as a Red card.  But that's true for a lot of factions.  Dark Elves Butcher the Unworthy is basically a Strike with an extra cookie.  Well, against Dwarves & Orcs, another Strike isn't as helpful as against (say) Ravenwood or High Elves.