Author Topic: Monsters and Mercs Units and Tactics  (Read 11997 times)

GoIndy

• Playtester
Re: Repost: Monsters and Mercs Units and Tactics
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2009, 10:32:44 AM »
First off, you can't use two healers to heal them one point a turn, I tried doing that with Hydras and when I asked about it was informed I was going about it wrong.

Anyhoo...Trolls are a weird case, cause normally, I wouldn't bother healing a unit I could only do once every other turn, but because of the red to green dynamic....

You put the aura on, and you just let it sit there, even as the troll takes damage....Knowing, in the future, there is a reasonable chance to zing him back to the green. 

Might be doable.

gornhorror

• Rules Team
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2009, 01:20:10 PM »
So, I've had the Monsters and Mercenaries decks for a few months now.  I played them for the first time by themselves.  I think they are a good faction.  What I'm really impressed with are the command cards. Cards like Final Push and Ordered Retreat are freakin' awsome!!!! I played the Ancient Red Dragon the other night and even tho I didn't know what I was doing with it, it still killed a lot of my opponents' units.  The wildmen sword are pretty good for the cost, 142 points is dirt cheap for what they can do.  I might just field a Hydra the next time out because people like to damage me and it will take hardly any time before my Hydra has like 20 attack dice.   ;D

Where's this shade, that you got it made?

Quelmotz

• The berserker
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2009, 09:47:50 PM »
So, I've had the Monsters and Mercenaries decks for a few months now.  I played them for the first time by themselves.  I think they are a good faction.  What I'm really impressed with are the command cards. Cards like Final Push and Ordered Retreat are freakin' awsome!!!! I played the Ancient Red Dragon the other night and even tho I didn't know what I was doing with it, it still killed a lot of my opponents' units.  The wildmen sword are pretty good for the cost, 142 points is dirt cheap for what they can do.  I might just field a Hydra the next time out because people like to damage me and it will take hardly any time before my Hydra has like 20 attack dice.   ;D

Looks like you didn't learn from Rush's two hydras dying badly.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2009, 01:43:52 PM »
I don't think Brook will throw a fit of idiocy when setting up his Hydra army like I did.  That being said, Hydras die fast because opponents look at it and say "There is no way we are going to let that thing stick around long enough to have 12 attack dice".
"We are young wandering the face of the Earth
Wondering what our dreams might be worth
Learning that we're only immortal for a limited time"
-Rush, Dreamline

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2009, 06:07:59 PM »
You put the aura on, and you just let it sit there, even as the troll takes damage....Knowing, in the future, there is a reasonable chance to zing him back to the green.  Might be doable.

I do that a lot with my Hydra Kingdoms army.  I try to spread out the aura cleanse early on, essentially banking the healing.

When I took the healers in my HE army at Kublacon, it was the same dynamic:  the first couple of turns you spread out the love.  Then when things get rough, you heal guys either so that they're 2 more wounds away from that courage check or after they've taken the courage check and are in the yellow/red.  Nice way to bring back that lost attack.

Really fun when you're using it on Celestial Guard, for me anyway...  My opponent, not so much.   8)

gull2112

• From the RUSH faction
    • Meditations on Brain Injury
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2009, 06:40:04 PM »
Is there a specific rule that says you can't shoot your own hydra? You know, to beef him up. Kinda like revving the RPM's prior to popping the clutch.
"Rules are only as good as the book they're bound in."
http://gullsbattleground.blogspot.com/

Quelmotz

• The berserker
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2009, 08:54:08 PM »
Is there a specific rule that says you can't shoot your own hydra? You know, to beef him up. Kinda like revving the RPM's prior to popping the clutch.

Shoot at the unit engaged with the Hydra and hope bribe your opponent to play fumble.  :P
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

lazyj

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2010, 10:43:42 PM »
So after playing with these guys as a primary Faction I just want to go on the record and say Holy Crap are they fun to play.

How come I've never heard of the Faction bonus before now? You know, the one where you get two command cards in hand for each unit that doesn't have spoils? That's incredible! Because their command cards rock!

I'm a big believer in this faction as a playable army now. The potential for shenanigans is...  ;D

Viva "Ordered Retreat"!! :)

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2010, 09:02:18 AM »
I agree that the M&M command cards are pretty nifty.  Ordered Retreat is incredibly handy, Final Push can be vicious, and Cry Havoc is just pure gold IMO.  My issue with making workable armies out of M&M units is that there is such a disparity between their non-Ogre core units and their upper level units that a typical M&M build winds up being a bunch of mediocre line units with a super unit or two.  That's not to say that they're not playable as they certainly are, I just have a tougher time making a "cover all the bases" build with them than with any other faction.  Yes, the faction ability to draw 2 cards for every unit you have that doesn't have spoils rocks.  Just keep in mind that those very same units require you to drop cards to play cards on them, so you're basically getting the ability to play a card on them as per normal by virtue of drawing the extra 2.

I still believe that the Earth Elemental is one of the most underrated units in the game for what it does.  It's arguably my favorite unit in the faction!
"We are young wandering the face of the Earth
Wondering what our dreams might be worth
Learning that we're only immortal for a limited time"
-Rush, Dreamline

gull2112

• From the RUSH faction
    • Meditations on Brain Injury
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2010, 07:22:32 PM »
I still believe that the Earth Elemental is one of the most underrated units in the game for what it does.  It's arguably my favorite unit in the faction!

That is true. They are almost as underappreciated as the Crazed Goblins IMHO. Last night Lazyj's Earth Elemental got triple pinched by my Trolls and two Goblin Fanatics and it took almost two turns (four combat phases) to drop the Earth Elemental! Not to mention that it was able to eliminate one of the crazed goblins all by itself!  :o ;D
"Rules are only as good as the book they're bound in."
http://gullsbattleground.blogspot.com/

lazyj

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2010, 03:05:39 PM »
Let me add that I don't think *anything* can stand up to Trolls who are charging, part of a Triple Pinch, and getting that nasty Green Command card bonus.

That being said, the trick to the Earth Elemental is to get him on the high ground! +1 offensive skill anyone?  :)

Of course, the BIGGER trick is keeping him there, what with his perma-close orders...  :D

gornhorror

• Rules Team
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2011, 02:39:20 PM »
Well, I just played another session with my group last night.  Marcus will probably post the pictures in due time. Anyways, I have just gotta say that I think the Elementalist has to be one of the best units in the game....period.   The thing can start picking on the opponents units early because of the great range it has, and being able to play command cards on a 4 6/6 is pretty special.   I will probably be playing the monsters and mercs at this upcoming tournament.  Well, hope to see all you guys soon.
Where's this shade, that you got it made?

Carcossan

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2012, 05:41:46 PM »
Yes, the faction ability to draw 2 cards for every unit you have that doesn't have spoils rocks.  Just keep in mind that those very same units require you to drop cards to play cards on them, so you're basically getting the ability to play a card on them as per normal by virtue of drawing the extra 2.

I came back to this thread, looking specifically for a note on the extra command cards. My first read of the ability had me thinking that it was too good to be true and, while I KNEW that it wasn't some vastly overpowered thing (if only because it hasn't been errated), I was curious about how M&M faction abilities stacked up against everyone else's.

Exactly the kind of 'Ah-ha' moment I needed.