Author Topic: Taste the Lash! (Orc Units, Tactics, Etc)  (Read 31441 times)

Niko White

• Celestial Guard
  • A tíro nin, Fanuilos!
Re: Taste the Lash! (Orc Units, Tactics, Etc)
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2009, 08:47:54 AM »
Indeed, and that's why I mentioned this gambit working against a charging enemy.  But if you think the enemy is likely to hold (he's a stand and shoot, or he doesn't have a maneuvering army), than you simply deploy your main line forward and keep the Gobbos in the second line, to fill holes or create a pinching threat as you mentioned in the original unit assessment.

Giving the front line entirely to the Crazy Guys only work in some situations, but when it does, it means plenty of headaches for your opponent.

Oh yeah, agreed, I was just pointing out that because of the Lash, this is a situation where you can wait until a few units are deployed to decide, or do a mix if you need to, both of which are things I am always looking out for in this game.  It wasn't supposed to take away from your initial point, which was good.

gull2112

• From the RUSH faction
    • Meditations on Brain Injury
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2009, 04:01:03 PM »
So let me clarify this. If I have a front line with at least a half a card width between them and a unit on 'C' between and behind them, unable to pass through ordinarily, should the front units be engaged the rear unit could pass through that gap as a final rush? I've always had issues with placing a unit behind another unit for Final Rushing purposes and then had this two turn delay while I moved around into final rushing position and then final rushing the following turn.

Or more directly, If I just have a rear unit on close with less than half of the card behind the front card, then it can simply final rush to get around. Like this:     
            AA     to   Y
            XX           YAA
         YY                XX

I can't get the alignments exact in text, but you get the idea. Maybe everyone does this, but if so, it has just occurred to me, and the Orcs just got really dangerous, so Lazyj had better watch out! 8)
"Rules are only as good as the book they're bound in."
http://gullsbattleground.blogspot.com/

boltana

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2009, 07:06:10 PM »
So let me clarify this. If I have a front line with at least a half a card width between them and a unit on 'C' between and behind them, unable to pass through ordinarily, should the front units be engaged the rear unit could pass through that gap as a final rush? I've always had issues with placing a unit behind another unit for Final Rushing purposes and then had this two turn delay while I moved around into final rushing position and then final rushing the following turn.

Or more directly, If I just have a rear unit on close with less than half of the card behind the front card, then it can simply final rush to get around. Like this:     
            AA     to   Y
            XX           YAA
         YY                XX

I can't get the alignments exact in text, but you get the idea. Maybe everyone does this, but if so, it has just occurred to me, and the Orcs just got really dangerous, so Lazyj had better watch out! 8)

I think you can only have YY final rushing AA if you can draw a line from the center point of YY to any part of AA. (Assuming that YY had
sufficient MC to final rush AA)

page 27 Clearly Visible: A unit may only engage an enemy unit if the enemy unit was clearly visible at the start of the turn.
If you can draw a line from the front center point of your unit to any part of an enemy unit
(that is in your unit’s front arc) without passing through any other units or line of sight blocking
terrain, then the enemy unit is clearly visible.

page 29  A unit may only final rush an enemy (or rout to a point) if there is an open path. 
There is an open path if:
1. a straight line can be drawn from the front center point of the final rushing
(or routing) unit to any point on the enemy unit (or the point the unit is routing to)
and
2. a 2.5” wide path can be found which is clear of other units or impassable obstacles
and though which that line goes.

gornhorror

• Rules Team
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2009, 07:56:58 PM »
Well, I'm about to make a Orc army for this weekends gaming session.  I shall share my thoughts on the effectiveness of the faction at a later date.  From what I've read & seen so far, they seem pretty good. Since I like to be on the offensive most of the time, they will probably suit my style.  ;D
Where's this shade, that you got it made?

gull2112

• From the RUSH faction
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2009, 08:51:56 PM »
With my clearer understanding of the final rush rules here is my army with set up for next time James and I throw down. Yeah, I know he can see this, but I'm that sure of it! 8) This is for turn eight in Kingdoms so it is 2500 points
Spear   Spear   Sword   Spear   Spear
T            Wolves   Wolves              T
r                                                 r
o                                                o
l                                                 l
l                                                 l
s                                                s

The trolls moving sideways will be able to keep up with the rest of the army and the wolf riders can rush through in a pinch. Possible variation is to replace on of the trolls with two more wolf riders and butt the army up one side of the board.

Jaels

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2009, 09:08:00 AM »
Why not let the Trolls move forward and use the indirect path rule to keep them behind the first line?  That way, you'll be able to swing them to the flanks when necessary, and they'll have their charge bonus for hitting their enemy with the front (plus won't suffer a side attack +/- for all battles).

gull2112

• From the RUSH faction
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2009, 06:18:28 PM »
The Trolls are sideways so that if the orcs get pinched they can charge right into their flank. If they are right behind facing the same direction they first have to move out and then on the following turn final rush because you cannot final rush a unit that you couldn't see at the beginning of your turn.

I could have them facing the same way as the orcs and just put part of them behind the orcs and achieve the same effect, except then I would be exposing my side to any flanking enemy. 

ajax98

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2009, 05:55:37 AM »
Methinks you could better understand the concept of "spacing" and Dru'ahn's axiom of 'maximum impactus'.

'Maximum impactus' is the art of getting the the most dice (units) into the fray as quickly as possible. So putting all seven major combat units online with speed control on the trolls works.

Using location objectives gives better control of your units for your approach to the enemy units. Takes a bit of practice, but much better (IMO) for setting up your forces to attack.

Spacing is the art of making sure your flanks are not an easy target. I can stretch a five unit front to cover the entire width of the 36" map with no space for flanking.

With Trolls on the flanks deployed sideways in the deployment area (as in your diagram) but facing in the direction you want them to wheel, they will wheel and be in proper or desired position by the time the lines engage, as long as you direct through location objectives the units in front of them to open up.

gull2112

• From the RUSH faction
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2009, 08:18:07 AM »
With Trolls on the flanks deployed sideways in the deployment area (as in your diagram) but facing in the direction you want them to wheel, they will wheel and be in proper or desired position by the time the lines engage, as long as you direct through location objectives the units in front of them to open up.

Isn't that what I have diagramed? Or am I misunderstanding you? My trolls are facing outward so that they can Final Rush any attacks on the end units and facing out to recieve/discourage any flanking units.

ajax98

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2009, 11:22:07 PM »
If that was your intent - "trolls moving sideways"; perhaps I was a bit too literal in my interpretation.
It was not clear in my mind as to the proposed purpose. I had thought perhaps you had a method of purposely moving the trolls in side movement for some nefarious tactical plan...
 ;D

Reading back, one way to read it is that you are just standing in your deployment zone waiting for the enemy?

Tempting to hit your line Obliquely.

GoIndy

• Playtester
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2009, 09:17:04 AM »
Well, my opinion of the Orc Marauders was greatly improved this weekend.  (7)6/5 with 2/3 defense....tasty.  I did get lucky, in two different ways, but in at least one way it was hard NOT to get lucky...

1)  In both games, before the lines engaged, I drew a Might card.  (+1) 0/+1.  The extra die is spiffy and all, but adding on to the weak power die is just butter, to go along with the charge.   In both cases they were lashed going in, so the hammer got toally dropped on the opponent.  Effective (9) 7/7 is gonna bring home some pain.

2)  The Dwarven Axemen routed immediately, and were killed completely by the to the rear back attack.  The Ravenwood Swords they originally faced didn't immediately rout, but they died on my opponents turn, which is just as well...so in both cases, when it was my turn to move again, it was on like Donkey Kong.

Oooh, and the Marauders ate a charge into their flanks from the Antonion horseman, and while they were hurt badly, they held for long enough for a pinch to smash the horseman.  That 2/3 defense is nothing to sneer at.

gull2112

• From the RUSH faction
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2009, 07:38:59 PM »
Reminds me I gotta try the Marauders again. The trick, which I keep forgetting, is not to run them into the most powerful enemy unit on the board, they are a horrible waste of money for a fair fight! The trick is to run them into almost the most powerful enemy unit on the board and mop them up.

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2009, 11:10:01 AM »
What happened to my Battle Axemen sucked.  Not just that they where one-shotted with a failed courage check, but that they only did a single point of damage in return.  I expected to lose to the Marauders, but not on the turn of contact!

Concerning the Antonians, they did 5 on the charge, which was nice.  Next turn they where pinched, but they only needed to do 2 damage to force another courage check on the Marauders.  I played a Rune of Power on the Antonians needing 5s and 3s and only got a single point of damage here as well.  So the while being totally badass, the Marauders where a bit blessed that game.

Edit:  The Marauders are still one of the 5 best heavy infantry units currently in the game IMO.  And clearly the best standard (non-elite, non-core) heavy infantry.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 11:12:34 AM by RushAss »
"Chase the Sun around the World I want to look at life
In the available light"
-Rush, Available Light

gornhorror

• Rules Team
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2009, 02:50:51 PM »
Well, my opinion of the Orc Marauders was greatly improved this weekend.  (7)6/5 with 2/3 defense....tasty.  I did get lucky, in two different ways, but in at least one way it was hard NOT to get lucky...

1)  In both games, before the lines engaged, I drew a Might card.  (+1) 0/+1.  The extra die is spiffy and all, but adding on to the weak power die is just butter, to go along with the charge.   In both cases they were lashed going in, so the hammer got toally dropped on the opponent.  Effective (9) 7/7 is gonna bring home some pain.

2)  The Dwarven Axemen routed immediately, and were killed completely by the to the rear back attack.  The Ravenwood Swords they originally faced didn't immediately rout, but they died on my opponents turn, which is just as well...so in both cases, when it was my turn to move again, it was on like Donkey Kong.

Oooh, and the Marauders ate a charge into their flanks from the Antonion horseman, and while they were hurt badly, they held for long enough for a pinch to smash the horseman.  That 2/3 defense is nothing to sneer at.

Yeah, Tim beat me like a red headed step child.  He taught me how to use the Wolf riders also.  He kept running away with them until they could pinch.  Good strategy.  I will employ it the next time I play the orcs.  Thanks for the ass wooping.  :o
Where's this shade, that you got it made?

Rashak Mani

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2009, 12:01:48 AM »
I also call the Marauders "Elf Killers"... but they do attract an awful lot of arrows if there are no other elite units in your army. I`ve never had a Marauder get to the enemy front line without being shot up by archers.

Marauders are best used against medium or weak creatures that will break easily. Chose well your cards in order to really deliver a very strong punch. 2 rounds and the marauder is in. Those extra die really make cards well chosen a good investment.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel