Author Topic: Ideas from WRG's Hords of the Things  (Read 946 times)

gull2112

• From the RUSH faction
    • Meditations on Brain Injury
Ideas from WRG's Hords of the Things
« on: June 07, 2013, 08:52:07 AM »
I was looking at the HotT rules and I noted they have a class of units called 'Lurkers'. These are not placed on the board during initial set-up, but can be played by paying a 'Pip' (read Command Action) and placing them in contact with an enemy when that unit enters a certain type of terrain. This basically represents all sorts of nasty hidden things that live in the world. On subsequent turns, if the Lurker is eliminated it can be recycled for an increased CA cost. There are water lurkers that can inhabit streams or ponds, very nasty for troops trying to cross. Oh, and to somewhat limit the awesomeness, the Lurker must be played at first opportunity after an enemy unit enters said terrain.

They have another type of unit called sneakers which are just that, sneaky. They ignore friendly and enemy units while moving, they cannot be charged. The way they get into combat is when they charge, at which point they can be attacked as long as the engagement lasts. Sneakers would be considered elite troops, thus limiting the number that could be on a battlefield.

My main intent is just to provide ideas for different unit types for new factions. Of course, if you wanted to try it out you could class any unit as one of those types and give it a go. I could see calling a Hydra a Kraken and making it a water lurker. It couldn't leave the water, but if an enemy force had to cross a river...

I could also see classifying HE rangers as Sneakers, this might see them played a little more often.
"Rules are only as good as the book they're bound in."
http://gullsbattleground.blogspot.com/

leemie

• my fan made stuff
Re: Ideas from WRG's Hords of the Things
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 01:06:22 PM »
I had considered something similar to sneakers where you flip the card upside down with a command action, while it is facedown it can move but can not do anything else or be targeted in any way. You spend a command action to turn it face up again. functionally being sneaky seems similar to flying where you are more or less untargetable until you land to attack.