Author Topic: Vlachold vs Carthage: Chosen Ground, 2000 pts  (Read 953 times)

Hannibal

• Administrator
Vlachold vs Carthage: Chosen Ground, 2000 pts
« on: April 23, 2013, 10:47:42 AM »
We're experimenting with a slight tweak on Drain, where it causes rout checks in the Post Combat Courage phase when you Drain.  That way if you're one box away from taking a check, you'll drain the unit and let them take the check after they fight.

Also, I wanted to see how People of the Borderlands felt when you had the best of circumstances:  Chosen Ground.  We priced the ability to basically ignore the MC penalties for terrain on the idea that its more or less random what terrain you get.  So now we decided to see what happens when they could pick.

Carthage:  4 Libyan Foot, 2 Elephants, 1 Spanish Cavalry, 1 Carthaginian Spearmen, Foresight 3

Vlachold:  2 Voynik Spearmen, 1 Voynik Swordsmen, 1 Voynik Hillfolk, 1 Tepes Lord, 1 Werewolf Pack, 1 Kraynik Lancer, 2 Voynik Thralls

Vlachold units for reference:
Voynik Swordsmen - Core - 195 pts
O:(5)5/5  D:2/2  Rge:-  Cge: 12  Mv: 3.5"  3G/5Y/2R
The Voyniks are free peasants who own their lands.  As part of their emancipation, they serve as levied soldiers defending their home.

Voynik Spearmen - Core - 217 pts
O:(6*)5*/5*  D:2/2  Rge:-  Cge: 12  Mv: 3.5"  3G/5Y/2R
O:(-1) -0/-0 when charging. O:(+0) +1/+0 vs. cavalry or large units. O:(+0) +0/+2 when holding vs. charging cavalry or large.
Although only commoners, a lifetime of battle has honed them into able warriors.

Voynik Hillfolk - Core - 222 pts
O:(5)5/6  D:1*/2  Rge:-  Cge: 12  Mv: 5"  3G/5Y/2R
D:+1/+0 vs ranged attacks.
These peasants fled their feudal obligations, become Voynici by settling in craggy highlands considered desolate even by the standards of the Vlachold.

Tepes Lords - Standard - 304 pts
O:(5)6/6  D:2/3  Rge:-  Cge: 11  Mv: 3.5"  4G/3Y/3R
Red Harvest.  Drain:  3.5" range.  May not Drain Voivode Knights.  Blood Powers:  Blood is Life, Inhuman Frenzy, Unholy Aura. (Note:  they have 2 Blood Point boxes.)
The high peaks and mountain holds are ill-suited to cavalry, and so even the dark souled nobility of the Tepes Mountains fight on foot.

Voynik Thralls - Standard - 144 pts
O:(5)4/5  D:2/2  Rge:-  Cge: 10*  Mv: 3.5"  3G/2Y/5R
+3 Cge if within Drain range of a non-routing unit with Drain.
When faced with madness, one either is consumed by it or embraces it.

Werewolf Packs - Standard - 307 pts
O:(7)5/6  D:1/3  Rge:-  Cge: 13  Mv: 5"  5G/2Y/5R
Fearsome.  Always has the "Close" Standing Order and may not be given a Standing Order Modifier or be directly controlled.  Requires 2 Command Actions to rally.   To play a Command Card on Werewolf Pack you must first discard a Command Card.  No Perserverance box.
"Do not walk under the full moon.  When the wolf-demon spirit consumes your soul, the clawed monstrosity you become knows only hunger."

Kraynik Lancers - Standard - 242 pts
O:(6)5/5*  D:2*/2  Rge:-  Cge: 11  Mv: 7"  2G/2Y/2R
Cavalry.  O:(+0)+0/+2 and D:+1/+0 when charging.  Red Harvest. Drain:  7" range.  May not Drain Voivode Knights or Tepes Lords.  Blood Powers:  Blood is Life.  (Note: they have 1 Blood Point box)
The petty nobility of the Vlachold, these 'Border Dukes' rule conquered or reconquered lands at the pleasure of their patron lords.

Deployment

Carthage Deployment (L->R):  Libyans, Libyans (with Spanish Cav behind), Libyans, Elephants, Elephants, Libyans, Carthaginian Spear

Vlachold Deployment (L-R):  Spearmen, Spearmen & Tepes Lords (backed up by Thralls), Swordsmen & Hillfolk (backed up by Thralls), Werewolf Pack, Kraynik Lancers (facing sideways)

The most unsubtle deployment I've done in a long time.  It might have something to do with the fact that at 2100 pts, I'm just going to spam Elephants and Libyans with some spears and cavalry to protect my flank.  Between the pila and impact hits, I go boom on the charge turn and get a breakthrough somewhere.

Scott does a similar strategy, but this being Vlachold, even a solid build is a bit "champs and chumps" with only two real beat-stick units and a flanker to keep me honest.

I thought his choice of terrain placement wasn't great.  The forest gives +1 cover against my Pila and (something I don't think he realized), my elephants would go 1.75" in there.  If it were me, I would've put the hill and forest next to each other in the center and then grab the hill quickly, leaving me the option of fighting in the forest while fighting uphill.  Giving me a bowling alley like that helped me more than it helped him.

Early Moves

Our lines move forward, with Carthage's slightly offset.  I knew I wouldn't get the hill, but I figured I could make him come off it or face an inevitable pinch.  On the left side, it looks as though he's setting up for the Werewolves and the Kraynik Lancers to swap places, so his Werewolves can get on my Carthaginian Spear.  I'm confident that even fighting fast cavalry in the forest, my Libyans can start forcing checks on the Kraynik Lancers.  Also, the fight between the Hillfolk and the Elephants favors me.  Basically my plan is to crumple the right before the left flank gets trashed by those Tepes Lords.

Vlachold Distaster

The Vlachold line is actually a few millimeters out for the 3.5" movers, so Scott plays Punish their Mistake on the Tepes Lords to final rush this turn.  Elsewhere, the Hillfolk and the Werewolves charge in (Scott decides to make his stand here and not play the long game).

ahem [falsetto]mistaaaaaaaake[/falsetto] 

;D

On the right, the Libyans chuck their Pilas at the Werewolves, doing a point of damage.  But in combat, they do 4 wounds, needing 5s and 2s.  He promptly flubs a Cge 13 Yellow check and then during Free Strikes I put him the Red and he flubs a Cge 13 Red check.  Tactics don't matter when people are going to roll like that.

To the left, the Hillfolk fail their Fear check and do little damage.  The Elephants respond by putting them into the Yellow, but they auto-pass their rout check due to Fatalism.

On the far left, the Tepes Lords attack the Libyans.  Since Scott played Punish their Mistake to get into combat, nobody can play command cards.  This is actually one of the intended uses of the card:  if you have a fight that favors you, you play the card to deny him the chance to play Blue Cards.  In this case, the mistake being punished isn't exposing a flank, but for daring to fight Tepes Lords.  Also, this is a situation where he gets to start the combat a round early as well.  So not the ideal situation for this card, but definitely one of the intended uses.

The Tepes Lords put the Libyans into the Yellow, but the Libyans pass their check.  The Libyans respond by doing 4 pts, needing 4s and 2s.  I have some hot dice right here.  The Tepes Lords pass their check thankfully.

Flanked Line

This is the make or break turn for Vlachold.  It starts with my Libyans on the left pinching the Hillfolk.  I charge everywhere else down the line except for against the Spearmen on the hill.

The Hillfolk on the left fail their pinch check and are destroyed.  The Libyans have now throw their pilas twice and are done with pila chucks for the day.

In the forest, the Carthaginians charge the Kraynik Lancers and both sides do enough damage to force a check.  If I blow the check, the Kraynik Lancers will rear charge my Libyans and potentially save the line.  Both units pass their rout checks.   :-[

In the center, the Elephants charge the Voynik Swordsmen and do an astounding 7 damage.  Thankfully, they Voynik Swordsmen hold out.

The Tepes Lords fighting the Libyans manage to put them all the way into the Red, but I Roll enough have 1 box left.  The Libyans respond by doing 3 pts with 4 dice (4s and 2s mind you), but the Tepes Lords auto-pass thanks to Fatalism.  So it comes down to that rout check.  I fail and he can flank my line.

Nope.  I pass.  Without any cards to assist.  The only breaks Vlachold is getting today are the compound fractures from the elephants.   8)

On the left, my Libyans charge the Voynik Spearmen and between the pila attacks and charging, are put into the Yellow.  They pass their check.

Beginning of the End

The Tepes Lords, thanks to copious Draining and healing, manage to outlast the Libyan Foot, destroying them this turn.  But it is too little, too late.  the Elephants have pinched Voynik Swordsmen in the center, while on the hill the Voynik Swordsmen are pinched by the Spanish Cavalry.  On the right the Kraynik Lancers are killed by the Carthaginian Spearmen.

Note the Libyans by the Kraynik Lancers.  They have their pila box marked off, so they didn't get a shot this turn.  It ended up not mattering, but I thought I'd note it.

Endgame

Trying to get as many points as he could, Scott had the Tepes Lords flank and pinch the Libyans to the left rather than the Elephants in the center.  He was going to get rear charged either way, so he was going for the easy kill wherever he could get it. 

The Voyniks and Tepes Lords made short work of the Libyans, but on this turn Carthage got its revenge.  The Libyan Foot on the hill flank the Voynik Spearmen and killed them while the Elephants rear charged the Tepes Lords.

At this point we called it.  Technically Scott had a Disrupted Thralls unit, but no matter the direction it faced, it was going to get rear charged by either Elephants or Spanish Cavalry.

Post Game Thoughts:  Man what a beating.  The bottom line is this:  I rolled well (doing 3-4 pts when I should do 1) and never failed a rout check.  Scott failed about 50% of his checks.  Now, I think he could have set the terrain up much better and probably delayed things a few turns.  I also think taking 2 units of Thralls off the line wasn't a great idea, but in the end all of that had zero impact.  When I'm going to roll like that and he's going to roll like that, tactics don't matter.

As for Rudihnya thoughts, honestly, not much came up.  We never got to see Red Harvest in action, and since he did most of his Draining from back rank Thralls, the tweak to Drain didn't show up.

What is interesting is that it seems like Carthage is a faction where Rudihnya should do well (no depth and vulnerable to a breakthrough).  The Werewolves and Warriors in the Mist are tailor made to fight those Elephants.

The problem is that Foresight makes getting those matchups harder (although not impossible) and the Pila really hurts those Voyniks.  The Libyans should do 3 pts on the charge turn, forcing a check right there which can upend the game.  Now that I think about it, that's probably why Scott put those Thralls behind the lines as much as he did, because he knew I'd get a breakthrough somewhere.

The one thing I can take from this is that I really like the secondary use of Punish their Mistake.  What happened today is entirely how I saw it getting used a lot:  to deny him Blue cards or Courage cards in bad matchups.  That use is why I didn't give the card a recycle option and its good to see that bearing fruit.

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
Re: Vlachold vs Carthage: Chosen Ground, 2000 pts
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 03:32:00 PM »
Great report as always though I share your pain at the results.  Funny thing is that in my game 2 weeks ago my Werewolves did had the EXACT same thing happen to them!  Against Hawk Sowrdsmen, none the less!
"I have memory and awareness - But I have no shape or form
As a disembodied spirit I am dead and yet unborn
I have passed into Olympus as was told in tales of old
To the city of Immortals, marble white, and purest gold"
-Rush, Hemispheres