Author Topic: Vlachold vs Dark Elves: Ticking Clock, 2000 pts  (Read 636 times)

Hannibal

• Administrator
Vlachold vs Dark Elves: Ticking Clock, 2000 pts
« on: April 12, 2013, 07:42:59 PM »
Concluding the Vlachold World Tour, we played Vlachold vs Dark Elves on map 3C.  You may that we've played on this map before, and that I have a tendency to go with the refused flank.  Would I do the same, playing Dark Elves this time with a different mission (Ticking Clock, instead of Border Defense)?

Yes.  Yes, I would.

I'm playing Dark Elves, people.  I have fricken flying cavalry on a map with a giant, impassible ribbon down the middle.  If that doesn't scream "defeat in detail," I don't know what does.

Dark Elves build:  3 Lowblood Levy, 1 Slavetakers, 1 Blade Dancers, 2 Duskblades, 1 Drake Riders, 1 Standard Bearers, Premeditation 2.

Vlachold build:  2 Voynik Swordsmen, 2 Curteni Halberdiers, 2 Voynik Thralls, 2 Voivoide Knights

Heeeey, this build looks familiar.   ;D   Units for reference:

Voynik Swordsmen - Core - 195 pts
O:(5)5/5  D:2/2  Rge:-  Cge: 12  Mv: 3.5"  3G/5Y/2R
The Voynich are free peasants who own their lands.  As part of their emancipation, they serve as levied soldiers defending their home.

Curteni Halberdiers - Core - 222 pts
O:(6*)5*/6*  D:1*/3  Rge:-  Cge: 11  Mv: 2.5"  4G/4Y/2R
O:(-1) -0/-0 when charging. O:(+0) +1/+0 vs. cavalry or large units. O:(+0) +0/+2 when holding vs. charging cavalry or large.  D:+1/+0 vs ranged attacks.
The most ablebodied unfree peasants are drafted as bodyguards for the nobility, and although they receive the best training and arms, theirs is a life of constant horror.

Voynik Thralls - Standard - 144 pts
O:(5)4/5  D:2/2  Rge:-  Cge: 10*  Mv: 3.5"  3G/2Y/5R
+3 Cge if within Drain range of a non-routing unit with Drain.
When faced with madness, one either is consumed by it or embraces it.

Voivoide Knights - Elite - 436 pts
O:(6)6/5*  D:3*/3  Rge:-  Cge: 11  Mv: 6"  3G/2Y/2R
Cavalry. O:(+0)+0/+2 and D:+1/+0 when charging.  Red Harvest. Drain: 6" range.  Blood Powers:  Blood is Life, Inhuman Frenzy, Unholy Aura.  (Note: they have 3 Blood Point boxes)
The 'Great Princes' are the mightiest  of their kind, and their hunger for the souls of mortals the greatest as well.

Deployment

Vlachold (L-> R):  Voivoide Knights (face sideways), Voivoide Knights, Thrals & Swordsmen backed up by Thrall, [River], Halberdiers, Swordsmen, Halberdiers

Dark Elves (L -> R):  Duskblades (backed up by Standard Bearers & Slavetakers), Duskblades, Blade Dancers, [River], Lowbloods (with Drake Riders behind), Lowbloods, Lowbloods.

The Vlachold line was set on closing across the board whereas I had objectives all over the place.  On the right, my Lowbloods had Hold objectives to basically protect the river crossing but otherwise not engage.  This meant his slow moving Curteni wouldn't engage until turn 6.  The Drake Riders had the objective in the middle of the field while the Slavetakers had the Hold objective on the left (I didn't want them charging into trouble against those scary Knights).

Lines Advance

The Drake Riders swoop over the river while the two lines advance.  Both the Voivoide Knights drain their fill from Thralls.  He has to the DC one of the units of Knights to hold back because it's expose their flank to the Slavetakers.

Note:  most the action this game takes place on the left flank (i.e. to the left of the river).  So when I say "on the right/center/left" I'm talking about the units on the left flank.

Drakes Land

At this point Scott's goose is pretty well cooked.  Afterwards, he said he overestimated how long it would take them to get into place, based on how poorly I used them last time I played Dark Elves..  If he'd spent 2 more CAs to hold back his entire line on the left, I would've had to land them in front of his line (that was the closest spot to my objective).  Meaning, I would've changed their order, which would have prevented them from landing that turn and delaying the charge by two turns.  Or he should have turned one of the Thralls around to flank charge if I landed there.  Basically, I'm getting better at figuring these flyers out (I put their objective too far forward) and he got a crash course on how effective they can be. 

Making matters worse, my Duskblades and Bladedancers tear into his Voyniks.  The Swordsmen pass, thanks to Dogged Toughness, but the Thralls rout and are cut down.

Voivoide Knights Charge

Both Voivoide Knights charge and he uses Unholy Aura.  I roll (and fail) two checks before I remember my guys are Fearless, but I leave the yellow dice out to show how effective it can be.  On the left, the Slavetakers go all the way into the Red and flub their first check but pass thanks to Inspiration from On High.

The Voivoide Knights attacking the Dusk Blades use Inhuman Frenzy and roll 10 total dice.  Unfortunately, he rolls a bunch of 3s to hit, and I roll enough hits so that he can do a maximum of 3 wounds (with impact).  No check for me.  I've also played Arrogant Spite and so he takes a point.

In the center, the Voynik Swordsmen take enough damage and flub a rout check, meaning now the Vlachold line is in severe trouble.  On the right, the Blade Dancers are charged by the Thralls and put into the Yellow, but the Thralls pass their check.

All Over but the Shoutin'

The Voivoide Knights are triple pinched but pass their rout check.  They attack backwards at the Drake Riders and with Desperation do 2 pts.  The pinching units do enough damage to double-up the boxes he had.   8)

On the left, the Knights do one point to the Slavetakers, meaning they'll be pinned down during the Vlachold turn.  On the right, the Thralls are almost killed but manage to pass their rout check without the morale boost of a nearby vampire.

On the right side of the river, the Vlachold line is actually getting in spitting distance of the Lowbloods!   ::)

Left Bank Secured

This is taken during the Dark Elves' next turn.  The Voivoide Knights have destroyed the Slavetakers, but they end up getting pinched by the Dusk Blades and the Drake Riders.  They fail their Courage check and are promptly cut down.

Meanwhile the Blade Dancers have destroyed the Thralls and now start slogging their way across the river.  On the right side of the river, the Curteni have charged the Lowbloods and forced a rout check.  Thankfully I pass.

My plan of overloading the left flank is complete, and now I'm just trying not to take too much damage.

Running out the Clock

On the right flank, the Vlachold units charge and my poor Lowbloods are severely outmatched.  The one hope I have is the Might I played on the left forcing a check.  The Halberdiers fail their check...but so do I.  Luckily, I have my other Inspiration from On High card! 

Yeah, not so much.  A 15 still fails.  And so rather than get the pinch, my Lowbloods run from the also-fleeing-Halberdiers.

Endgame

A couple of inconclusive turns of maneuver and the game is over.  On the left, the Lowbloods succumb to the Halberdiers and then my other unit of Lowbloods get pinch and destroyed.  My Bladedancers managed to get through the river crossing and final rush the Halberdiers that rallied earlier.  They cause enough damage to force a rout check, and the Halerbiers blow up.

Dark Elves:  1550
Vlachold:  712

A 2.18 ratio, a 4-2 win for Dark Elves.  Had I been paying closer attention to the mission objectives, I could have easily got a 5-1 win by moving a unit into his DZ or claiming my river crossing with the Drake Riders ("you guys, go take a bath!").

Analysis:  After starting out hot, Scott's dice cooled pretty severely with some really poor Rout Checks.  But also, he underestimated those Drake Riders, and that pretty much sealed it for him.  At the point I got behind his line, it wasn't a question of if I was going to win, but by how much.

Vlachold Thoughts:  Not much to report, other than what I said in the previous reports, about Drain:
--Drain:  I sort of wonder if we went overboard on Drain, and have now made it too costly to use.  I didn't use heal on the Voivoide Knights this game, mainly because I didn't want to bring the Voyniks closer to taking rout checks.  I'm starting to wonder if we should give them a minor bump by having Drain peel boxes off backwards:  instead of marking damage left to right (Green->Yellow->Red) we should have them mark damage right to left (Red->Yellow->Green).

This would mean being Drained wouldn't cause rout checks on the drained unit, but not make that broken.  Because if we make it so that Drain doesn't cause rout checks, it becomes crazy good:  "Oh my Voyniks have 1 Green box left?  I just drain that box and now you have to 5 Yellow boxes to force a check."

Other than this lingering fear, I feel very good about this faction.