Author Topic: Vlachold vs Umenzi: Split Command  (Read 977 times)

Hannibal

• Administrator
Vlachold vs Umenzi: Split Command
« on: April 04, 2013, 02:48:23 AM »
The Vlachold had fought the Umenzi before, but this was back before Perseverance was changed, so we set up a rematch.  For this game, Scott took the Vlachold and I took the Umenzi.  We played Split Command, with the Vlachold getting the bonus points.  I wanted to see how they'd do in this mission.

Umenzi build:  2 Atatlmen, 2 Javelineers, 1 Berzerkers, 1 Worthy, 1 Chosen, 4 Possessed, and 2 Shamans.

Vlachold build:  5 Curtenti Halberdiers, 2 Tepes Lords, 3 Voynik Thralls

Units for reference:

Curteni Halberdiers - Core - 222 pts
O:(6*)5*/6*  D:1*/3  Rge:-  Cge: 11  Mv: 2.5"  4G/4Y/2R
O:(-1) -0/-0 when charging. O:(+0) +1/+0 vs. cavalry or large units. O:(+0) +0/+2 when holding vs. charging cavalry or large.  D:+1/+0 vs ranged attacks.
The most ablebodied unfree peasants are drafted as bodyguards for the nobility, and although they receive the best training and arms, theirs is a life of constant horror.

Tepes Lords - Standard - 304 pts
O:(5)6/6  D:2/3  Rge:-  Cge: 11  Mv: 3.5"  4G/3Y/3R
Drain:  3.5" range.  May not Drain Voivode Knights.  Blood Powers:  Blood is Life, Inhuman Frenzy, Unholy Aura, (Note:  they have 2 Blood Point boxes.)
The high peaks and mountain holds are ill-suited to cavalry, and so even the dark souled nobility of the Tepes Mountains fight on foot.

Voynik Thralls - Standard - 144 pts
O:(5)4/5  D:2/2  Rge:-  Cge: 10*  Mv: 3.5"  3G/2Y/5R
+3 Cge if within Drain range of a non-routing unit with Drain.
When faced with madness, one either is consumed by it or embraces it.

As with the last game, we played with a few tweaks:
We decided to try out the modified Unholy Aura power.  For 1 Blood Point a Tepes Lord or Voivoide Knight unit would become fearsome and force a check on any enemy unit within 3.5" (measure from the unit's front center point to the Tepes Lord/Voivoide Knight's front center point).

Also, we tweaked the Desperation card to make it:
Desperation:  Play during during an engaged attack against a non-routing unit, before you roll to hit.  Your unit gets O: (+3)+0/+1 this attack.  If it is still engaged at the end of the current Phase it takes a point of damage.  This can cause rout checks.

Deployment

Umenzi (L->R)
Front row:  Possessed, Javelineer, Javelineer, [gap], Worthy, [gap], Possessed
Middle row:  Possessed, Atlatlmen, [gap], Atlatlmen, Berzerkers, Possessed
Back row:  [gap], Shamans, [loooooooooooong gap], Shamans, Chosen

Vlachold (L->R)
Front row:  Thralls, [looooooooooooooooooooooong gap], Tepes Lords
Middle row:  Thralls, Tepes Lords, Halberdiers, Halberdiers, Halberdiers, Halberdiers, Thralls.
Back row:  [looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong gap], Halberdiers.

There's a little bit of a head-fake that went on here, because he was expecting the Giant War Elephant, but I opted to instead go with as many thumpy units as I could get my hands on.  The idea was simple:  force checks in as many places as I could, rather than try to take on his best unit and beat it.

Opening Maneuvers

The two lines widen out to cover the whole board.  The slow speed of his line and fact that they'd deployed further back meant I would get extra turns to get my lines in order but also it would be additional turns of hexing and blessing I would get to do (blue dice on his units and my units, respectively).

Ill Omens

In the center, my Atatlmen & Javelinmen perform well in putting damage on the Curteni and Tepes Lords, aided by cards and blesses.  When the Curteni charge the Worthy, I play Devotion of Corruption to force a Yellow check on a Cge 11 unit.  Its a 50-50 chance, and the Curteni come down on the wrong side of that coin flip.  In the Free Strikes, the Worthy force a Red check and the Curteni blow up, leaving a hole in the Vlachold center and its the Umenzi turn next.

Breakthrough

On the Umenzi turn, I draw not a single card.  On the right, I Direct Control to refuse that flank while in the center I use Faith Armor and spend a CA on reloading the Javelins for the charge.

Center-right, the Curteni Halberdiers are pinched by Worthy and Berzerkers in a fight that ends about as you'd expect:  the Curteni are put into the Red and fail to roll a 9 or less.  They're unceremoniously cut down by Free Strikes.

On the center-left, the Javelinmen charge  attack and then the Atlatlmen join in.  Another red check, another blow up Halberdiers unit.

To their left, the Javelinmen throw their javelins and then attack.  The Tepes Lords attack back, but between being in the Yellow (because the Javelins go first), being hexed, and the Parry that I play, they're only throwing 4 dice.  After it's all done, the Faith Armor is erased and the Javelineers take only 1 damage.  At least the Tepes Lords pass their rout check.

Pinches

On the Umenzi's next turn, its more pinches and more exploding Vlachold units.  On the left, the Javelinmen flank charge, throwing their Javelins first.  I Blessed the Javelins and dropped a card on them to do the final two points on the Tepes Lords, killing them before they could attack.

The scenario is really showing through, because throughout the game, having to ditch a card to play a card on two thirds of his units meant that Scott simply couldn't recover from the early bad luck.  For example, the Thralls on the left really outclassed the Possessed, but not playing cards meant he couldn't get that pinch that would save the Tepes Lords.  Instead, he had to slowly grind the Possessed down, by which point it was too late.

On the right, I delayed again with my Possessed while the Halberdiers were pinched by Chosen and Berzerkers.  They passed the pinch check but failed the rout check when put into the Red, and were destroyed.

Slaughter Continues

On the left, the Javelineers charge the Thralls who are destroyed under the weight of Javelins, engaged attacks, and Atlatlmen.

On the right, I'm actually outrunning my support but the Chosen charge the Halberdiers anyway to pin them down.  The Tepes Lords have finally contacted the Possessed, who shamble forward into the meat grinder.

To the Death

On the left, the last Vlachold unit is destroyed by pinching Possessed.  

On the right, the Halberdiers are flanked by the Worthy.  Between the Worthy and the Chosen, the Halberdiers don't stand a chance.

The Tepes Lords have destroyed the Possessed unit, but their back up steps forward.  This is the first Umenzi unit to be destroyed.  Mind you, the other two Possessed units on the left have 3 boxes between the 2 units, but still, this is the first Umenzi unit to come off the table.

Closing In

The Chosen smash into the flank of the Thralls while the Tepes Lords finish off the Possessed.  The rest of the Umenzi army either reorganizes or begins the long hike to the right flank.

Endgame

This is how it ends:  the Tepes Lords, triple pinched, fail a pinch check, and are then destroyed by Free Strikes.

Despite the lopsidedness of the fight, it was still a 4-2.  I think I had a little over 1600 pts on the table (need 1700 for 5-1).  Still, an ugly day for the Vlachold.

Post-Game Analysis:  Really, this game turned on a single die roll.  That first blown Courage check by the Halberdiers let me roll up his line like a carpet.  The fact that it happened on his turn meant that by the time he could even attempt to recover from it, he'd already lost a second unit to a pinch.

The other thing is that in taking the Halberdiers, his line was slowed and that let me hex and bless almost everywhere I wanted while still drawing a lot of cards into my hands.  This let me control the flow of the battle, especially because discarded at least a quarter of his cards because of the mission.

The other thing is that taking a Halberdier-heavy line inadvertently played into my hands.  He took a bunch of D:1/3 units at the same time I was taking a bunch of Pow 6 units.

In the end, I got some lucky rolls early and he got some unlucky rolls at the key moment that let me turn this into a blowout.

Vlachold thoughts:  You know, there's not a lot to add here from the previous game we played (High Elves vs Vlachold).  I like the new desperation (he used it, failed to destroy me, and ended up taking a point).  I like how drain works.  I like how the Blood Powers work (he didn't try Unholy Aura).  I like the fact that the way to beat the faction is that its got a glass jaw in that if you hit them really hard early on (say with javelins), you can create a breakthrough.  What I like about it is that it gives a role to those Thralls besides happy meal.  They can serve to plug gaps that will open if your opponent goes for that Deep Front strategy.

I will consolidate all the changes into a Fifth Draft sometime tomorrow.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 01:00:12 PM by Hannibal »

lazyj

• Playtester
Re: Rudihnya vs Umenzi: Split Command
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 09:28:11 AM »
Do you think Scott should have seen your deployment and started spamming the new Unholy Aura? Umenzi courage isn't all that great and he might have had some matchups swung in his favor with frightened opponents. Or at least maybe he could have lasted a bit longer and given the Lords a chance to punch through somewhere?

Hannibal

• Administrator
Re: Vlachold vs Umenzi: Split Command
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 02:59:03 PM »
Honestly, he forgot about it (one of the flaws of constantly making little tweaks to an army you've played twenty-something games with), but I'm not sure it would've mattered.  The Curteni Halberdiers in the center routed on the charge turn (and were out of range of Unholy Aura).  The ones facing the Javelineers might've been saved, but I actually did enough damage from the Atlatlmen that turn to force a check.  So they would've routed either way (although they may have lived through the rout and been able to get back into the fight).

It might've made a difference on the left flank, but the right flank was really sewn up by the time I got in range of Unholy Aura.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 01:04:51 PM by Hannibal »