Author Topic: "The Fey" faction  (Read 12470 times)

gornhorror

• Rules Team
  • Goony goo-goo!
Re: "The Fey" faction
« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2014, 02:15:38 PM »
Here is the latest incarnation of my faction with many of the changes after play-testing a few games.

THE FEY OF DARKWOOD

SATYRS (Core) (3) 6/5 2/1 R-10.5” C-12 M-3.5”
Stat Bar: 3/3/4
(+2) +0/+0 when engaged
Range attack is line of sight
No move and shoot penalty
Displacement

INITIATES OF SPRING (Druids) (Core) (5) 5/5 2/1 R-0 C-12 M-3.5”
Stat Bar: 3/4/3
This unit does not suffer movement penalties in any terrain.
Displacement

TREEFOLK OF SUMMER’S VOW (Core) (Druids) (4) 5/6 1/2 R-0 C-13 M-2.5”
Stat Bar: 3/4/4
This unit suffers no penalty for sideways and backwards movement.
This unit suffers no penalty for attacking to it’s rear or flank.
Units attacking Treefolk do not gain bonuses for attacking it’s rear or flank.
Displacement

WILD ELVES (Core) (5) 6/5 3/1 R-3.5” C-13 M-3.5”
Javelins
Stat Bar 4/3/3
Displacement

COOSHEE PACK(Elven Dogs) (Core) (5) 5/4 2/1 R-0 C-11 M-5”
Stat Bar: 2/2/3
This unit automatically rallies after routing at the end of the turn.
This unit gets (+2) +0/+0 against routing units.
This unit gets +2/+0 when routing.

GNOME ILLUSIONISTS (core) (*) */* 3/0 R-7” C-12 M-3.5”
Stat Bar: 2/2/3
Displacement

Phantasmal Force:  Roll a die during this units attack for the following effects. This attack can be both an engaged attack or a ranged attack.
Offensive command cards cannot be played with this attack.  If unengaged, Gnome Illusionist can choose who they attack every turn.

(6) No effect
(5) Target gets -1 courage this turn
(4) Target gets -2 courage this turn
(3) Do one damage to target
(2) Do one damage to target and target gets -1 courage this turn
(1) Do one damage to target and target gets -2 courage this turn

GRIFFON CAVALRY (4) 6/5 2/1 R-0 C-11 M-5”(Flying 10.5”)
Stat Bar: 2/3/3
Cavalry
Fearsome to cavalry
This unit gets (+0) +0/+1 +2/+0 when charging
Displacement

PIXIES (Pixie’s use skirmisher rules) (4) 4/4 3/0 R-7” C-10 M-2.5” (7” flying)
Stat Bar: 2/2/2
Pixies may use their ranged attack 3 times during a battle.
Pixies get (-1)-1/-1 when engaged.
Skirmishers
Displacement

OWLBEARS (Large/Fearsome) (5) 6/6 2/3 R-0 C-14 M-5”
Stat Bar: 4/5/3

GIANT SLUG (Large/Fearsome/Elite) (4) 3/6 1/2 R-0 C-0 M-3.5”
Stat Bar: 8/0/4
Giant Slug regenerates one damage during every movement and command phase.
You may not play command cards on Giant Slug.

ETERNAL ORDER OF AUTUMN (Druids) (Elite) (4) 4/4 2/1 R-14" C-12 M-3.5”
Stat Bar 2/2/3
See spell card below
Displacement

LIBRA, LADY OF WINTER (Druids) (Unique*) (5) 6*/6* 2/1 R-17.5” C-13 M-3.5”
Stat Bar: 3/2/2
This unit gets (-1) -1/-1 when engaged
*You can only have one of these units in any army
Range attack-Frost Blast
Displacement

FACTION ABILITY (Displacement)

Spend one command action to mark the Displacement box.  While checked, all engaged attacks made on this unit are made at a (-1) 0/0.  If two or more damage is done to this unit during either an engaged attack or a ranged attack you may choose to erase the mark to prevent a point of damage. Erasing this mark counts as playing a command card.  A unit that is routing may not use this ability.

COMMAND CARDS

Ambush:(green card x2) Play during any movement and command phase.  Give one of your charging units (+1) +0/+0 and +1 courage until end of turn.  If cast on your turn target also receives +1 MC.  

Barkskin: (green card x2) Play during any movement and command phase.  Give target engaged unit +0/+2, passes all courage checks and makes no attacks this turn.  No other command cards can be played on this unit this turn.

Nature's Guidance: (red card x2) Play on an attack after you roll to damage.  You may lower one die to a 1.  If this attack causes a rout check the defending unit gets -1 courage.

Nature's Resolve: (red card x2) Play on an attacking unit that is not being charged or charging.  One of your engaged units gets (0) +1/+0 or (0) +0/+1 for the remainder of this engagement.  You may not play any other offensive command cards on this unit while this is in effect.

Chameleon: (blue card x2) Target attacking creature gets (-2) +0/+0 this attack.  If this unit has any impact hits it gets an additional  (-1) +0/+0.

Druid Spell Card:

Wall of Wind: During your movement and command phase put a counter on one of your units.   The next time this unit is attacked with ranged fire, remove a counter to give that unit +2/+0 vs. ranged until end of turn.  A unit can never have more than one counter on it at any given time. Range 14"

Call lightning: If unengaged, druids may make a ranged attack at a (4) 5/6. Range 14"

Entanglement: During your movement and command phase, put a counter on target enemy unit.  The next time that unit moves remove the counter and assign one damage to that unit unless it moves at -2 MC. Range 14"
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 03:35:13 PM by gornhorror »
Where's this shade, that you got it made?

gornhorror

• Rules Team
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #76 on: June 20, 2014, 12:01:35 PM »
Marcus,

I know we've been discussing the Pixies unit.  I still have some questions.

What if we made the pixies ranged shot like pila?  What I mean, how about 2 shots and then you must use a command action to get another one?

I added the engagement penalty to (-1)-1/-1.

Question?

Do units with pila suffer a move and shoot when they move a 3.5" shoot the enemy and then engage?  If they don't, then I would like to consider the Pixies getting "no penalty for moving and shooting" otherwise, they will pretty much always be shooting at a (4) 3/4 because they are flying at a 7"MC.  Does the formula take that into consideration?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 01:54:53 PM by gornhorror »

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #77 on: June 20, 2014, 02:25:21 PM »
What if we made the pixies ranged shot like pila?  What I mean, how about 2 shots and then you must use a command action to get another one?

They go up to 83 points.  Keep in mind that the discount I gave them for having only 3 shots was pretty much a guess. 

Do units with pila suffer a move and shoot when they move a 3.5" shoot the enemy and then engage?  If they don't, then I would like to consider the Pixies getting "no penalty for moving and shooting" otherwise, they will pretty much always be shooting at a (4) 3/4 because they are flying at a 7"MC.  Does the formula take that into consideration?
Well, Pila are a sub set of the Javelin rule and Javelins don't suffer a move and shoot.  There is a general surcharge for Skirmishers in the formula and my thought is that the whole "no move and shoot penalty" thing is rolled into that.

Somebody better versed in the formula would know this for sure. 
"Chase the Sun around the World I want to look at life
In the available light"
-Rush, Available Light

gornhorror

• Rules Team
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #78 on: June 20, 2014, 03:06:11 PM »
Ok, I guess they are 83 points then.

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #79 on: June 20, 2014, 03:54:21 PM »
The question that really needs to be asked here is if anybody would bother to spend a command action to get a (4) 4/4 attack.
"Chase the Sun around the World I want to look at life
In the available light"
-Rush, Available Light

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #80 on: June 20, 2014, 04:04:06 PM »
Well, Pila are a sub set of the Javelin rule and Javelins don't suffer a move and shoot.  There is a general surcharge for Skirmishers in the formula and my thought is that the whole "no move and shoot penalty" thing is rolled into that.

Actually, its included in the "turns at range." 

Marcus, if the unit would get 3 attacks at no penalty for moving, then you put 3.0 in Line 36.  In most cases for Javelins you put in 1.3 in Line 36, signifying that most times the unit will get 1 javelin throw, but that sometimes you'll get 2 javelins shots (because the unit routs the enemy and so gets another round of shooting when it flank/pinch/charges the new enemy).

With a unit that follows the skirmisher rules, or that flies, you have to assume it'll pretty much always get both attacks.  So you'd put 2.0 in Line 36.

The question that really needs to be asked here is if anybody would bother to spend a command action to get a (4) 4/4 attack.

The best case scenario you can hope for is that you'd be attacking some D:2/1 or D:1/2 enemy, in which case you'd get 2/3 of a hit on average.  Is it worth spending 1 CA for 2/3 of a hit?  Well, that's basically like spending Precision on HE Chariots under the dice charge.  If spending a CA for 2/3 of a hit is worth it, then yes.

IMO, the answer is usually going to be no.  Which is why I wouldn't charge anything for the unit getting another throw for a CA.  The CA spent is payment enough.

GoIndy

• Playtester
« Reply #81 on: June 21, 2014, 01:05:24 PM »
They mentioned this pixie change to me and I hated the idea of being able to reload.  If the enemy has no ranged, pixie's are immortal, and will over time kill everything.

10 T-Rex's versus 1 pixie....Pixie wins.  That seems like an issue to me.

I thought the Slugs were too good, so I took them this week and proved the hell out of it, laugh.  I think Marcus has some pics of me getting my Fey on.

gornhorror

• Rules Team
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #82 on: June 23, 2014, 01:17:19 PM »
So after playing some playtest games this past weekend some changes were made to the faction.

Slugs are changed to:

GIANT SLUG (Large/Fearsome/Elite) (4) 3/6 1/2 R-0 C-0 M-3.5”
Stat Bar: 5/5/2
Giant Slug regenerates one damage during every movement and command phase.
You may not play command cards on Giant Slug.

The Druid Lightning Bolt attack now has a long range penalty.

Pixies only get 3 shots, no reloads.

Routing units may not use Displacement

« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 01:18:52 PM by gornhorror »