Author Topic: Fan Faction: The Northern Cammonian Empire  (Read 1958 times)

wariorpoet

Fan Faction: The Northern Cammonian Empire
« on: March 23, 2013, 05:27:05 PM »
This in the same realm as Albion (http://yourmovegames.com/forum/index.php/topic,5867.0.html)
There are four different Cammonian Empires, so their is gonna be some spillover
 Brief History: The Northern Empire was once part of the Cammonian Empire before the death of Nero II and the breaking of the Empire into four parts. The Northern Empire was the weakest of the successor empires, but managed to survive through the skillful leadership of Julius Rasius, who became Julius I. The Northern Empire has faced the thirteen hundred year struggle with minimal losses in territory compared to the other successor empires, losing only a small foothold in the Northlands and Freesia. They stand strong and ready for a new era, mixing the classic Cammonian and Germanic styles of fighting, and embracing chivalry like no other successor empire.
Theme Later Romans supported by Germainic knights and barbarians.
The Army
Cammonian Core
205 Comitetenses
A 5/5/5 D 2/2 R3.5” C12 M3.5” 4G/4Y/3R
Core
Pila
Equipment: Gladius, pila, scrutum, chainmail
The standard troops of the Cammonian legions. They are well trained and appear in prodigious numbers. The stand strong for who they believe is the rightful emperor.

Auxilia
A 6/5/5 D2/1 R- C12 M3.5” 4G/2Y/5R
Core
Spear bonus/penalties
Equipment: Spear, brigandine armor, chainmail, scrutum
Troops raised from local peoples, Auxilia guard key points and bolster armies, following local lords. They provide a strong force to any commander.

Auxilia Archers
A 4/5/5 D2/1 R14” C12 M3.5” 4G/ 2Y/3R
Core
This unit is A-0/2/2 when engaged
Equipment: Self bow, brigandine armor, knife
Archers drawn from native troops, they are just as well equipped as auxilia. They provide ranged support for the legions.

Light Auxilia
3/5/6 D2/0 R5” C11 M5” 3G/2Y/2R
Core
This unit is A-0/0/1 when engaged
Javelins
This unit may maneuver for free when under direct control
Equipment: Armor piercing javelins, short sword, small shield,
Light javelineers recruited from the local populace. They screen the legion, kill other light troops, recon-in-force and launch deadly ambushes.

Dart Throwers
A 3/6/4 D2/2 R 7” C13 M 3.5” 4G/4Y/3R  
Javelins
This unit is A+ 2/0/1 when engaged
Equipment: Gladius, war-darts, chainmail, scrutum
Specialized Comitenses, they use darts that can be thrown much farther than a pilum, but with less damage potential. Because using the darts requires more training, Dart Throwers are rarer and of superior quality compared to Comitenses.

Lancerii
A 4/5/5 D2/2 R- C12 M6” 3G/3Y/1R
Cavalry
This unit gets A+0/0/1 and D+1/0 when it charges
Equipment: Spear, spatha, scrutum, warhorse
Medium cavalry drawn from the landed classes. Lancerii run down lighter troops, fight other cavalry and generally allow the heavy infantry do its job without getting harrased by the enemy.

Feudal Troops
Cammonian Settlers
A 5/4/5 D1/2 R- C11 M3.5” 3G/3Y/4R
Equipment: Sword, scrutum, chailmail
Native Cammonians, Cammonian Settlers are rich middle class people. They rarely have to fight except in defense of their homes, but they are well equipped because of their wealth.  

Town Pikemen
A 7/4/5 D1/2 R- C12 M3.5” 4G/4Y/3R
Core
Phalanx
Spear bonus/penalties
Equipment: Pikes, chainmail
The soldiers that are usually levied by nobles, Town Pikemen fight in the pike formations of old. Each town sends its own separate regiment.

Zweihander Line Breakers
A 5/6/6 D1/2 C12 M3.5” 4G/3Y/2R
Knight  
This unit gets A+1/0/0 when attacking a Phalanx unit
Equipment: Two-handed sword, chainmail,
Knights of the lowest wealth and status are still able to afford massive swords from the Iron Prince. They train specifically at breaking the pike walls of The Southern Cammonian Empire, but if given enough time they will hack through anything.

Imperial Knights
6/5/6 D2/3 C13 M5” 3G/2Y/3R
Knight
Impulsive
This unit gets A+0/1/0 when engaged with a unit that does not have the Knight keyword
This unit gets A+0/0/1 and D+1/0 when it charges
Equipment: Lances, platemail, maces, shields,
Classic knights who have a powerful charge and are well armored. They are extremely arrogant towards the peasants, but they must remember that a peasant with a crossbow, gun or pike can still kill them.

Halbbrudder
A 6/5/6 D1/3 C13 M2.5” 4G/4Y/1R
Elite
Knight
Impulsive
Spear bonus/penalties
Equipment: Halberd, platemail
The outer guard of governors, nobles, and the emperor, these knights are “half brothers” to the person they protect. They are a powerful asset on the battlefield.

Brudder
A 6/6/6 D2/3 C13 M5” 4G/2Y/2R
Elite
Cavalry
Knight
Fearsome
This unit gets A+0/0/1 when it charges.
All other Knights within 5” are Fearsome
Equipment: Lances, blood red swords, shields, platemail, horned helmets, blood stained robes,
The personnel guards of high status nobles and the emperor are dangerous and terrifying opponents. They are frightful to opponents and inspire other knights around them to be just as fearsome. They are the brothers of powerful nobles. They should not be risked lightly.
Barbarian Troops
Hill Axemen
A 5/5/6 D2/1 R- C13 M3.5” 3G/4Y/2R
Core
Impulsive
 This unit does is not penalized when walking through forests.
Equipment: Axe, shield
Though the Cammonian culture and chivalry have inhabited the Northern Empire, some of the ancient culture has survived. They bring an untamed fighting spirit to any battle.

Champions
A 7/5/6 D1/4 R3.5” C- M5” 5G/2Y/2R
Elite
Javelins  
This unit may not rout
This unit is always on C and that may not be changed or modified.
If at some point in the game you try and issue a standing order to this unit, or state that you intend to, this unit immediately becomes hostile to all units, except other champions.
Equipment: Longsword, javelins
They have wrestled with bears. They have run with wolves. They have slain dragons and stared down the gods themselves. Don’t cramp their style. Or get on their bad side.

Hill Slingers
A 5/5/5 D1/1 R 10.5” C11 M 3.5” 3G/3Y/3R
Ranged attack is Direct Fire
This unit is A-0/2/2 when engaged
Equipment: Sling
The sling is a simple weapon, but simple doesn’t mean ineffective. Slings are used by members of barbarian tribes since they could walk. They know how to kill somebody with one.

Army Ability:
                       Dark Forests: All units in a forest are Fearsome.
                       Imperial Courage: During your movement and command phase, you may spend a command action to mark a unit’s Imperial Courage box. That unit gets C+2. When a unit with its Imperial Courage box mark passes a courage check by 2 or more, you may erase the mark to heal 1 point of damage. When a unit with its Imperial Courage box marked routs, erase the mark for no benefit.

Command Cards
Imperial Will: Play before you roll to hit. Your unit gets A+1/1/0 and if it fails to do damage before damage prevention effects, it does 1 damage. ×2
Survivors: Play after your opponent rolls to damage. Prevent 1 damage and that unit is C+1. ×2
Barbaric Frenzy: Play on a unit, before it rolls to hit. That unit gets A 2/0/0 and if it does at least 1 point of damage, add another point of damage×2
Barbaric Strength: Play on a unit, before it rolls to damage. That unit gets A+0/0/1 and your roll to damage may not be effected by command cards after it is rolled (i.e. Fumble).
Favor: Play on a unit. This unit gets A+1/0/0 and D+1/0 until it routs or is not engaged.×2
Northern Trust: Play before an opponent rolls to hit. The defending unit gains D+0/1 and C+1.

Again, I welcome any suggestions/contructive criticism. I don't have the point formula (which I will bet money is a good thing) so I would be grateful if somebody figured out the point cost of this fan faction and Albion. Thanks!

I have completly changed the faction ability, and weakened/changed the command cards.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 03:25:01 PM by wariorpoet »
"Here stand my unbreakable Celestial Guard. They are invincible. They will destroy you. Do your worst."
-Opponent places down an Ancient Red Dragon-
"Dang"

iamJMAN00793

• This is Sparta!
Re: Fan Faction: The Northern Cammonian Empire
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 06:40:33 PM »
This army sounds really cool. I like the mix of units. Just one suggestion after my initial reading. It sounds like you want the Light Auxilia to act as skirmishers. However, they don't have the skirmisher key word. I can see that hampering there usefulness.
Every man dies. Not every man really lives. ~ Braveheart

wariorpoet

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 09:00:49 PM »
I want the Light Auxilia to be able to skirmish sometimes, and act as fighting infantry other times. Like having the possbility of choosing to ignore the skirmisher rules, but that seems way to powerful.
"Here stand my unbreakable Celestial Guard. They are invincible. They will destroy you. Do your worst."
"Dang"

iamJMAN00793

• This is Sparta!
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 09:32:43 PM »
Okay, I get that. Do you plan on giving point values to your units?
Every man dies. Not every man really lives. ~ Braveheart

Kevin

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 10:12:17 PM »
Very nice faction flavor overall.  I'll keep my comments to the faction ability & command cards  As a rule of thumb, you want to balance the command cards first, as if they are unbalanced it becomes impossible to properly balance everything else.

When determining whether command cards are balanced, take careful note of what printed cards say, with the knowledge that about 1 card is 6 is REALLY GOOD, and 1 card is 6 is pretty lame.  Aim for the middle, and if you give your unit a really good card balance it out with a lame one.

Oh, and I notice that this faction has precious little to help its courage (2 cards gives +1 and that's it!).   Was this deliberate?   In general, courage boosters really help factions stick around and fight, and not having any makes an army kind of suck.  It's funny, I had just written up a bunch of test saying that, except for "Imperial Will" and "Barbaric Strength" these cards all were overpowered--but then I noticed that lack of courage boosters/bailout cards.  Which means that, by conventional standards, this faction's cards are both too powerful and too weak at the same time.  :P  So who knows...it just might be balanced in its own weird way.

Regarding the faction abilities...

Dark Forests: At the beginning of your movement and command phase, you may make one unit Fearsome until your opponents’ movement and command phase for every forest piece on the board.

I like the flavor, though what if instead it become "any unit in a forest is considered fearsome."  that way two tiny forests won't be more powerful than one large one. 

Imperial Strategy: During your movement and command phase, you may mark a unit’s Imperial Strategy box for one command action. During any movement and command phase afterward, you may erase the Imperial Strategy box to change that unit’s standing order and give it A+1/0/0 until the end of your turn. This does not count as playing a command card.

This actually feels rather weak.  If I'm reading this right you can't erase the unit's box on the same turn that you mark it.  If you don't make a final rush on the turn a unit's orders are changed, then the extra attack die is worthless and you're no better off than spending a CA like everyone else.  So very few untis gets real benefit...and for every one that does expect several to have to burn that box for one lousy attack die.

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

wariorpoet

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 07:32:37 AM »
Now that you mention it, Imperial Strategy is pretty weak. My idea was that you could "store" command actions for later, like when you need to change a lot of units orders and don't have enough command actions. I'll probly change it to a courage boast ability and weaken some command cards.
"Dang"

Kevin

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 08:54:33 AM »
OK I'm going to copy below what I wrote last night, which was based on the asusmption that this army had a typical amount of courage boost/bailout.  So if you make the special ability something akin to Hawkshold Bravery, the comments below reflect my opinion accurately.  If you make the special ability a lot weaker than Bravery, then IMHO you have the wiggle room to have cards be a bit stronger than what is indicated below.

-------------------------

Command Cards
Imperial Will: Play before you roll to hit. Your unit gets A+1/1/0 and if it fails to do damage before damage prevention effects, it does 1 damage. ×2
Looks good.

Survivors: Play after your opponent rolls to damage. Prevent 2 damage. ×2
Preventing 2 damage is way too strong for a Command Card.  Many units have cards which prevent one damage, while others prevent 1 damage and get a sugar cube--but that sugar cube is less good than a second point.  If you did want it to prevent two damage, it should come with a serious handicap.  For example, make it a green card:  two points on your unit are prevented, but your unit does one less damage during its attack.  (Or make it one point and give it a small sugar cube)

Barbaric Charge: Play on a non-cavalry unit that is charging, before it rolls to hit. That unit gets A 2/1/1 and 1 Impact Hit. ×2

VERY overpowered.  The Orc Frenzy Card gives you this attack bonus, but you get -1/-1 and no impact hit!   Also, this card could be "dead" if drawn too late.   I'd suggest (+0) +0/+1 and, if the unit is charging, 1 impact hit.

Barbaric Strength: Play on a unit, before it rolls to damage. That unit gets A+0/0/2.

OK from a balance perspective, but you do realize that this card is also called "Force," yes?  Let your creative juices flow.

Favor: Play on a unit. This unit gets A+1/0/0 and D+1/0 until it routs or is not engaged.×2

A bit strong, but would probably work if you tossed on a restriction.  e.g. No command cards while defending.

Northern Trust: Play before an opponent rolls to hit. The defending unit gains D+1/1 and C+1

Again, overpowered, but not so much that it couldn't work if there were a restriction, such as your unit must be in the yellow or red.  Hawkshold has a card which gives +1/+1 and no courage when the unit isn't charging or being charged.
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

Chad_YMG

• Administrator
    • Your Move Games
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 03:18:16 PM »
Now that you mention it, Imperial Strategy is pretty weak. My idea was that you could "store" command actions for later, like when you need to change a lot of units orders and don't have enough command actions. I'll probly change it to a courage boast ability and weaken some command cards.

I'm not sure how it would play, but if you want to store CAs for later use I would suggest having some sort of "central" storage ability.  That is, a faction could in theory build up a reserve of CAs that could be used to change actions later (sort of like The Plan, but weaker, but you could plan for it).  One of the problems with the ability as written is that you're committing up front to the units whose orders you'll change.
David Humphrey está todavía en la Colina 217.
      - From Spanish translation of Hill 218 rules

gull2112

• From the RUSH faction
    • Meditations on Brain Injury
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 07:06:09 PM »

Barbaric Strength: Play on a unit, before it rolls to damage. That unit gets A+0/0/2.

OK from a balance perspective, but you do realize that this card is also called "Force," yes?  Let your creative juices flow.

You could reduce it to (0)-/-/+1, but make it stackable, as in "playing this card does not count as playing a command card."
"Rules are only as good as the book they're bound in."
http://gullsbattleground.blogspot.com/