Author Topic: Special Situations Google Document  (Read 1151 times)

Kevin

• Administrator
Special Situations Google Document
« on: March 07, 2013, 10:22:25 PM »
I put the 11 Homebrew Special Situations used at Championship 2013 which anyone can download.  Most are by either myself or Corey (Hannibal).

Update: in addition to the 11 Special Situations, it has the "Tournament Ticking Clock" scenario rules--a version of Ticking Clock balanced (and successfully used) for tournament play.

Their Special Situation names:
Armored Keep
Bribery
Compressed Field
Healers  (In some rounds I took this out.)
Fog of War
Jaded Troops
Spies
Victory Surge  (In some rounds I took this out.)
Unexpected Engagement (This is a printed one, but some tweaks were added to balance it with Ticking Clock.)
War Plans
Wide Open Flank

Most of the printed Special Situations from Kingdoms were used, but some were not either because they were considered imbalanced (e.g. Muddly Field overfavoring Stand & Shoot armies), or becasue the effect on play was judged too minor to be worth doing (e.g. Battle Weary & Familiar Foe).

Here are the printed Special Situations ones which were used, in no particular order:

Assassin's War
Bloodlust
Night action (In some rounds I took this out.)
Oppressive Heat
Unexpected Engagement (tweaked version--see above)
Veteran Troops
Well Prepared.

If one Special Situation was used, 3 would be drawn, then players would each veto one and play the remaining one.  When two Special Situations were used, a similar procedure was followed, except that 4 initially were drawn.

* It's really 10 homebrew.  Number 11 is a slightly clarified version of "Unexpected Engagement."
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 07:55:01 AM by Kevin »
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

elgin_j

• Playtester
Re: Special Situations Google Document
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 02:21:05 PM »
Are these official or do they remain fan variants?
toodle pip

Kevin

• Administrator
Re: Special Situations Google Document
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 04:30:59 PM »
They were designed as "fan variants," though they've been used at at least one major tournament. 
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill