Author Topic: Historical set; The Imjin War  (Read 8490 times)

leemie

• my fan made stuff
Re: Historical set; The Imjin War
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2013, 01:00:40 PM »
how I see historical field battles going:

1. enemy forces line up and have a ranged exchange with archers and arquebus in the front.
2. when the enemy is weakened enough the command to charge was ordered. The arquebus fell behind the lines and the samurai and spearmen advanced.
3. the arquebus would then move to the flanks to fire into the enemy from the sides or move back to the next line of spearmen.

Alternative 2
1. same
2. as the enemy charges the arquebus will fall behind the lines, replaced by spearmen. Then they will draw their swords and engage.

*when landing in Korea an advanced squad of 100 arquebus landed, taking high ground and covered the landing of the rest of the men. They divided into two units of 50 one routed the Koreans and the other fired into the Koreans flank as they retreated.

so arquebus were not always covered by spearmen.

That is where the two rules came from.

"If this unit has a hold or ranged order when it becomes engaged you may have it change places with a unit backing it up. You may change that unit’s order to hold." This represents the spearmen replacing the teppo as they are charged.

"When you sound the charge you may have all of your ashigaru teppo change places with a unit that is backing them up, that unit may move after the change provided it did not move before." This represents the sounding of the charge where the spearmen and samurai would charge through the arquebus.

I could have the pike units give the riflemen the spear bonus if they back them up. Or allow the riflemen to make ranged attacks through unengaged units.

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2013, 01:37:31 PM »
how I see historical field battles going:

1. enemy forces line up and have a ranged exchange with archers and arquebus in the front.
2. when the enemy is weakened enough the command to charge was ordered. The arquebus fell behind the lines and the samurai and spearmen advanced.
3. the arquebus would then move to the flanks to fire into the enemy from the sides or move back to the next line of spearmen.

Which means they're skirmishers.  That sounds exactly like skirmishers, which is the simpler way to go about it.  The card flip you're suggesting is too good and why add a rule when there's a perfectly good one there.

*when landing in Korea an advanced squad of 100 arquebus landed, taking high ground and covered the landing of the rest of the men. They divided into two units of 50 one routed the Koreans and the other fired into the Koreans flank as they retreated.

so arquebus were not always covered by spearmen.

I highlighted an important part that you have to pay attention to.  Yes, the arquebusers weren't covered by spearmen, because they had a piece of terrain that made it so that the enemy had a hard time trudging uphill.  Yeah when the the enemy very kindly agrees to bog themselves down at short range, your arquebusers are gonna seem like gods.   ;D

Or allow the riflemen to make ranged attacks through unengaged units.

You mean like "indirect fire?"  ;D

Seriously, the best solution is probably either skirmishers and/or dual use units.

leemie

• my fan made stuff
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2013, 04:49:49 PM »
So if we go with skirmishers they gain some extra abilities like the ability to be deployed outside of the usual deployment zone do you think that would be a problem?