Author Topic: DEMOn (official and otherwise) reports  (Read 14921 times)

Chad_YMG

• Administrator
    • Your Move Games
DEMOn (official and otherwise) reports
« on: June 11, 2008, 08:55:28 AM »
Hi Guys,

If you run Battleground demos, please report your experiences here -- in particular, please note anything that would be useful to other people teaching Battleground.

Best,
Chad
David Humphrey está todavía en la Colina 217.
      - From Spanish translation of Hill 218 rules

Michael

Re: DEMOn (official and otherwise) reports
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 09:06:56 AM »
I've run a number demo's now and found the undead quick lists really good to demo with, the first few armies I generally find are good to demo with as the units and abilities are a bit more straight forward. I do find it is useful having the lizard men or high elf combat quick reference useful as it has the impact hits on it.
I only stick to the quick lists to demo with as these are very balanced and just gets things started quicker. It also allows you to ask the question "whats your playing style" and quickly pull out a force to play with. (If you have most the armies)

I don't use terrain for a first demo as a "empty field" is good for demonstrating the mechanics. I also stick to the basic rules only.

ApokalypseTest

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 10:19:51 AM »
It has been mentioned in other places before, but just to reinforce it again: Play in public. I found a lot more people interested in playing a Demo on our regular gaming nights at the store when they actually saw a few people playing the game then at the scheduled days for demos. I also have the impression they are much more likely to buy the game if they see some more people playing. For many newcomers one of the most important points (maybe even more important then the price) is actually knowing that there are people playing the game.

Especially the games with the new campaign system attracted a number of people to pick it up. I really hope the terrain sets will be available again when the campaign set comes out.

Chad_YMG

• Administrator
    • Your Move Games
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 02:07:05 PM »
The second printing of the Terrain Pack will ship in late July (i.e. arrive in our warehouse and ship out to distributors), so it will indeed arrive before Battleground: Kingdoms.

I can only echo the call to play in your local store, at your local con, in any other public place where gamers gather.  Battleground is sufficiently different from other games that it almost always draws attention from passers-by and that can often turn into new players...especially since (as AT pointed out) knowing there are people playing the game is a big draw.

Michael

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 07:43:15 AM »
We managed to generate a lot of interest by just running a few impromptu games at a spare table at a convention.

carlkay58

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 07:21:57 AM »
There are several different methods to getting people to play Battleground. The first is to expose as many people as possible to the game by playing it in public places such as game conventions, hobby stores, mall food courts, etc. The small playing area allows you to be creative in where you set up a quick game or two.

The second is to target the GW Warhamster crowd. The concepts are familiar, the rules much shorter, and much easier to build an army or two. In my case, I have been trying to get people to play since the first three sets came out. Unfortunately, my area is very active in the Warhamster arena with many people already having a purchased and painted army. Thus my attempts to interest people enough to actually purchase decks kept falling by the wayside. So then I got sneaky. With the large number of fans, there is usually a Warhamster campaign running almost continually. So I came up with some detailed campaign rules and roped in seven others to each play a faction. Everyone has been having fun and our local hobby store (where we play one night a week) will be ordering eight of each of the 2M decks. It is all about learning and adjusting to your local audience.

ApokalypseTest

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 07:30:59 AM »
Well,

with our local Warhammer crowd everything is mostly about painting and modeling. Some off them tried BG - and all complained that it would be a good game and all, but no Minis and no Fluff that explains the units. After all I can see their point, although these are exactly the points I like about it.

carlkay58

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 04:46:08 PM »
Yeah, to each their own. However it helps when Warhamster changes the rules and then you have to spring more bucks for a single unit than for a Starter and Reinforcement deck of a faction (and then the painting . . . ).

spencerthomas

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 04:07:17 PM »
Apok. One thing you can explain to the warhamsters is that with alittle work with plasticard for a base and some minis and flocking you can easily make you brick armies. Fluff, well that cant help with. :P I'm thinking if I really dig the game when it arives ( in transit, go go faster! ) I'll use Rackham Minis where I can.

-sc

bobslaughter

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 09:08:14 AM »
Apok. One thing you can explain to the warhamsters is that with alittle work with plasticard for a base and some minis and flocking you can easily make you brick armies. Fluff, well that cant help with. :P I'm thinking if I really dig the game when it arives ( in transit, go go faster! ) I'll use Rackham Minis where I can.

-sc

One "gadget" I thought might be of use with Battleground, should someone want to make it:

A hard-plastic base that functions as a card-holder. Opaque plastic on top, with a clear window to see the stats bar and unit name. It has a clear bottom, so you can flip the unit to read the back of the card. Just mount your troops to it, insert the card, and tah-dah, the best of both worlds.

Forevernyt

• Harbinger of Doom
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 10:19:02 AM »
I know this has been said before, but doesn't it defeat the idea of the game to put miniatures on top of the cards? Also, it's kind of a slap in the face to the artists involved to have their hard work covered over by minis.

If it weren’t for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable.

Chad_YMG

• Administrator
    • Your Move Games
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 10:44:38 AM »
I know this has been said before, but doesn't it defeat the idea of the game to put miniatures on top of the cards? Also, it's kind of a slap in the face to the artists involved to have their hard work covered over by minis.

I don't think it really defeats the point, since IMO the point is to give people a great tabletop gaming experience.  For most people, that will mean playing just with the cards -- or occasionally bringing out the full mini's army, a la Andrew Gross.  For others that will mean tricking them out with minis.  I also don't think it's an insult to the artists, since anyone who adds 3-d figures to their cards is essentially saying that 2-d art is the wrong category for the experience they want to create.

spencerthomas

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2008, 07:31:34 PM »
I apologize if it someone seems as an insult to the artists. Its that the industry is based as a hobby. From what I see I'll enjoy the mechanics of the game. And if I do and want to invest time and energy enjoying the game but do not have an opponent I can bits order models and make custom pieces. That investment creates attachment to the game more.

Also if two players that are abit 'old school' and want minis are playing the game at their game shop some of the other warhampsters might give it a shot. I view this as a great ramp up game. I can buy a starter army for as much as my lunch cost and get into the game. As I develop my taste I pick up another army or so that might fit my tastes the best. From there my attachment has grown that I purchase models and other things to really make an army I love in the idea that the designers have created. Then when I go on a trip with friends or famility all I have to do is pack the cards for a game in the hotel room. Its got the flexability to allow a cheap buyin vs the 'other' companies where to start and army and get it to truely playable par is 20x as much. But allow the creativity of the hobbists to make mini armies in the likeness that the artists and designers created. its win/win.

-sc

Forevernyt

• Harbinger of Doom
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2008, 06:17:32 AM »
I know, I was just being a little egotistical. Won't happen again. :P

If it weren’t for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable.

spencerthomas

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2008, 05:10:11 PM »
haha, all good. The 3d work is good stuff indeed.
BTW it arived and its good. ^^ If my local gameshop hadn't burned down awhile ago I'd be a demon for this one. ^^

-sc