Author Topic: Scenario Idea in deveopment  (Read 3599 times)

lazyj

Scenario Idea in deveopment
« on: January 28, 2009, 11:11:46 AM »
I have not had a chance to test this, but would like some feedback. I had originally written the backstory as "Umenzi vs Mercenaries" in a city, but I suppose most any faction combinations would do. I will try and post a picture of what I imagine the battlefield should look like. Overall, I'm picturing this as a street fight that ends with an open field battle before the objective. Thoughts?

Book Burning!

Outraged at the audacity of the Elementalists who dare summon powers reserved for the gods, the Umenzi High Priests have begun a crusade against the unbelievers and their monstrous spawn. After months of war and the death of multitudes, their armies have breached the inner walls of the border city of Ciercy, long a center of Elementalist learning. The streets are running with blood, but peasants do not concern the High Priests. For the faithful to consider their crusade a success, the famous Bibliotecha Elementum must burn along with the heretics and their forbidden lore. As the flames and screams rage through the pillaged city, the High Priests and their personal guard advance with a single purpose: to sacrifice the heathens before their holy flames. All that stands in their way are the Gladiae Libri, the last of the Library Guard, who will sell themselves dearly to give their revered knowledge-masters time to escape. They set their lines in the City Plaza and wait for the horde’s approach.

Scenario Rules:
Umenzi: 3000 points
Mercs (Gladiae Libri): 2000 points

The Umenzi hordes are sacking the city, and most of the army is engaged in pillage, plunder, and the slaughter of the remaining citizens. Only a comparatively few reserve units can be restrained (barely) by the High Priests for their mission. All Umenzi units (except High Priests) must take a Courage test at the start of the Movement and Command phase every turn they are not engaged with the enemy. This test is in addition to any normal tests, and all standard modifiers apply. Failing one of these extra tests reduces the unit’s Courage and Health by 1, which indicates some of the unit running off to join the pillaging. If losing the Health box forces another Courage check, it is to be taken immediately – but no penalties to Courage or Health will be assessed as a result of this roll. A routing Umenzi unit will head towards the nearest table edge, not just the starting side, but cannot rout through the Library gates.

The Gladiae Libri get an extra +1 to courage throughout the battle, and will rout towards the Library gates. No Flying Creatures. At the end of each defender turn, 200 points of valuable information is assumed to have escaped the Umenzi grasp.

The Battle commences on and around the plaza in front of the Library. All buildings consist of High Walls that block Line of Sight and cannot be entered or climbed. Streets leading into the plaza are either wide enough for 1 unit or wide enough for 2 units side by side.

The Umenzi are victorious if they destroy all defenders before 3000 points of information escapes, or if they get the High Priests inside the Library gates before 3000 points escapes. The defenders win if they prevent these conditions from happening. Marginal Victory conditions: determine how many points of information have escaped and compare it to the remaining Umenzi attackers. If the Umenzi have more unit points than points that escaped, they have a marginal victory. If more library points have escaped than remain for Umenzi army, the High Priests have suffered a marginal defeat (the gods will only tolerate the sacrifice of good troops if it achieves the objective).

gull2112

• From the RUSH faction
    • Meditations on Brain Injury
Re: Scenario Idea in deveopment
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 06:04:29 PM »
Excellent scenario. Sounds like it would be fun. I'm thinking ten turns is long enough so maybe only 2000 VP. I'd like to see the map, maybe if a terrain deck were available... ;)
I do like the concept of trying to rescue books from ravening hordes, it gives a unique feel to the battle.
"Rules are only as good as the book they're bound in."
http://gullsbattleground.blogspot.com/

lazyj

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 01:31:09 PM »
Looking back I realized that there isn't really much point to a marginal victory unless you end the game before the time limit. Hmm... will have to reconsider that.

Still working on the map. Hope to finish it up soon...

lazyj

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 04:18:54 PM »
The Umenzi are victorious if they destroy all defenders before 3000 points of information escapes, or if they get the High Priests inside the Library gates before 3000 points escapes. The defenders win if they prevent these conditions from happening. Marginal Victory conditions: determine how many points of information have escaped and compare it to the remaining Umenzi attackers. If the Umenzi have more unit points than points that escaped, they have a marginal victory. If more library points have escaped than remain for Umenzi army, the High Priests have suffered a marginal defeat (the gods will only tolerate the sacrifice of good troops if it achieves the objective).

I think it would be better to say:
Umenzi Decisive: High Priests inside Library before 2000 pts escapes
Umenzi Marginal: High Priests inside Library before 3000 pts escapes
Defender Marginal: 3000 pts escapes
Defender Decisive: All High Priests are destroyed

I'm not sure about the balance here, as the defenders could conceivably just whack the High Priests to win decisively. Thoughts?

gull2112

• From the RUSH faction
    • Meditations on Brain Injury
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 05:34:48 PM »
The points thing seems like an unecessary mechanic. Just say turns. My guess is ten turns is probably about an average game length, but we can count turns on our next few games and get an idea how much time is reasonable.

Other than that I think it is a cool concept. My best friend is a librarian, so maybe this is the scenario that will get him to take the plunge.

Actually, and this is something I hadn't considered before he brought it up, he and his fellow 40Kers and Warmachiners like the tactical one on one, finesse the combinations, flavor of those systems and they really can't get into the army vs. army feel of BG:FW. For me, that feel is exactly what I like about BG:FW and why I don't like the "Choreographed bar fight" feel of the other games.
"Rules are only as good as the book they're bound in."
http://gullsbattleground.blogspot.com/