Author Topic: (Objective based Scenario) 3 seperate armies going for same goal  (Read 3537 times)

Jtolman

Has anyone attempted a Scenario with 3 or more Un-allied armies all attempting to achieve the same goal?

It seems to me a 3 player game wouldn't need to be 2 against one or a 5 player being 2 vs 3. especially if the goal for winning wasn't just take out the other armies, but was instead to take an objective and hold it.

carlkay58

Re: (Objective based Scenario) 3 seperate armies going for same goal
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 07:12:25 AM »
I have thought about it for the campaign I am currently running but here are some of the problems that creep up:

1) Size and shape of the battlefield to make it balanced for all three armies.

2) There is a tendency among gamers in these types of situations to declare a truce between two to take out the third and then fight each other.

3) Terrain placement?

4) You really have to have the armies equal distance from each other - preferably with the same 15" separation as the normal rules - but you are then being attacked on both flanks and have to split your army to face two ways or depend on your speed to run from one and take out the other before the ignored faction can pile into you. This also has the feel of #2 above with the ignored faction having a large advantage of fresh troops vs the winner.

Overall it is a real pain to figure out. If you come up with any ideas, I would love to hear them.

wegotjoy

Re: (Objective based Scenario) 3 seperate armies going for same goal
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 07:59:25 AM »
I haven't played with 3 yet, but I've toyed with the idea of a "Vicious Circle" where each army's objective is to destroy (or take out say 70% of the points of) the army clockwise from it.  No truces should be allowed (defeats the whole object).  You deploy equidistant around an imaginary circle, 120 degrees apart.  You then have to think very hard about splitting force between the attacking wing and the defending wing.  This would probably be a good one to try with larger, maybe 3000, point armies.  You could even afford some points for the odd fast unit to play reinforcement between the wings, running to attack or defence as necessary.  A hill in the centre of the circle could add some further interest, especially if there was some bonus for being in control of it, like extra command actions - then you'd have 3 fronts to think about...