Author Topic: Kickstarter planned for Alexander set  (Read 23127 times)

Hannibal

• Administrator
Re: Kickstarter planned for Alexander set
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2013, 11:07:21 AM »
One option for Persia at least is to have a "300" version of the Immortals.  The goblin-ninjas from the movie are obviously so far from reality, that they'd qualify as a fantasy unit.

Chad_YMG

• Administrator
    • Your Move Games
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2013, 11:48:01 AM »
I think the fantasy units shouldn't be a problem if they are offered as an extra on the side and are clearly not part of the historical game.  They wouldn't be in the box; they would just come in the mail alongside the "real" product.

Adding in extra command decks seems like way too little gain for the cost; if people want to play a mirror match from one set they can do what we've been doing for years in our "win the deck" events -- share one command card deck.  That's very, very rarely a problem.

Alternate art is interesting.  I could talk with our artist about that.

I also agree completely with the suggestions for multiple copies and for adding in other Battleground stuff.  It seems pretty obvious to offer one reward tier that get Kingdoms and Terrain added in (or, alternately, just to have an "add $X" option), one that includes the Punic Wars and one that includes everything (at an attractive price), as well as options to get 3+ copies of Alexander vs. Persia at a small discount -- plus a retailer option for 6+ at a 50% discount.
David Humphrey está todavía en la Colina 217.
      - From Spanish translation of Hill 218 rules

leemie

• my fan made stuff
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2013, 12:48:20 PM »
You could add a commander promo card to other historical factions; the way that Alexander does such and such person's influence.

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2013, 02:05:28 PM »
We're hashing out the artwork right now, but depending how easy it is we could include as a stretch goal that we'd include versions of units with the generals in the unit[1]. 

So you'd have, say, 6 Companion Cavalry unit cards but if we meet the stretch goal, we'd include a unit card that has an Alexander model as one of the CGI models on the card.

Stretch Goal #1 would have:  Alexander in the Companion Cavalry, Parmenion in the Thessalian Cavalry, and Nikanor in the Hypaspistes.

Stretch Goal #2 would have:  Alexander in the Hypaspistes, Parmenion in the Companion Cavalry, and Nikanor in the Agema.

Goal #1 represents the historically correct version of where generals went (and not a bad set up game-wise either).  Goal #2 represents some of the more common occurrences.  I could see Alexander in the Thessalian Cavalry or even the Agema as something a player did, and if we wanted to include that as an additional stretch goal we could.  This of course assumes this was something doable in terms of the art, which isn't clear to me at this point.

[1] For those who don't know, the faction's army ability is that you can purchase command cards and have them represent the fact that Alexander is actually leading that unit.  So you play the card, and then mark the unit to show that Alexander is in the unit.  Then in later turns you can replay the card on the unit.  Alexander, for example, is either Strike or Might and can be replayed.  So with this stretch goal, when you indicate that Alexander is in a unit of Companion Cavalry, you could simply swap the unit card out (marking all the pertinent stuff like orders and damage).

Kevin

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2013, 03:58:29 PM »
Stretch Goal #1 would have:  Alexander in the Companion Cavalry, Parmenion in the Thessalian Cavalry, and Nikanor in the Hypaspistes.

Stretch Goal #2 would have:  Alexander in the Hypaspistes, Parmenion in the Companion Cavalry, and Nikanor in the Agema.

Very cool!   8)
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

Niko White

• Celestial Guard
  • A tíro nin, Fanuilos!
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2013, 11:12:45 PM »

I too think that'd be a sweet kickstarter perk.

iamJMAN00793

• This is Sparta!
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2013, 01:31:36 AM »
This would be an awesome kickstarter project! Any idea when it will be launched?
Every man dies. Not every man really lives. ~ Braveheart

gull2112

• From the RUSH faction
    • Meditations on Brain Injury
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2013, 08:28:32 AM »
Just for the info, here is a miniatures battlegame that is using the kickstarter model.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1471855235/torn-armor
"Rules are only as good as the book they're bound in."
http://gullsbattleground.blogspot.com/

Niko White

• Celestial Guard
  • A tíro nin, Fanuilos!
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2013, 11:48:19 AM »

My understanding is that the Kickstarter will go up when the art is done, since Chad wants a fast turnaround between the end of the Kickstarter and the arrival of the stuff.

iamJMAN00793

• This is Sparta!
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2013, 03:19:40 PM »
That is understandable. Is the art nearing completion? Are we looking at weeks, or months?

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2013, 09:02:58 AM »
I can't say exactly how far off we are, because I'm not the one doing the graphics.  I'll ask Daniel from Enupnion, who is doing the artwork, pop in if he can.  What I can say is we're hitting some of those 80/20 snags (20% of things on a project will cause 80% of the hassle).  For example, I didn't add sandals and cloaks to the item matrix for Daniel to design, figuring we could reuse them from the Punic Wars.  But it turns out there was a new version of the human model released and some of our stuff no longer fits.

Bear with us, we're trying to churn through this as quickly as possible.

Chad_YMG

• Administrator
    • Your Move Games
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2013, 11:42:15 AM »
Daniel is also new to the software he's using on the project, so he's having to learn some things as he goes.  The quality of art he produces generally is very high so I'm confident that he's going to make us happy, but it's taking him longer to do it than he'd hoped.
David Humphrey está todavía en la Colina 217.
      - From Spanish translation of Hill 218 rules

iamJMAN00793

• This is Sparta!
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2013, 05:34:35 PM »
Again, that is completely understandable. I'm just really looking forward to this set, and was wondering if you guys had any idea when it would be finished. Thanks for the quick responses.

ZiNOS

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2013, 03:37:00 AM »
Would you like a photo of me infront of this holding the carthage expansion for marketing photo?

DON'T PANIC <-------In Large Friendly Letters

gull2112

• From the RUSH faction
    • Meditations on Brain Injury
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2013, 09:06:47 AM »
Yes, I would!  8)
"Rules are only as good as the book they're bound in."
http://gullsbattleground.blogspot.com/