Author Topic: Kickstarter planned for Alexander set  (Read 17083 times)

Chad_YMG

• Administrator
    • Your Move Games
Kickstarter planned for Alexander set
« on: January 18, 2013, 04:40:25 PM »
Hi All,

In the past I've taken pre-orders here on the forums when a new set comes out, but for our second historical expansion I'm planning a Kickstarter launch.  I think Kickstarter will bring in some new players and, frankly, it won't hurt the cash flow to have some money coming in before printing rather than afterwards.  (Having a double-faction plus the modeling cost suddenly re-enter the release schedule just as we're getting ready to do Wuxing and a completely different project nears announcement time required some adjusting.)

Anyway, I wanted to let people know this was coming because I need your help.  I'm compiling a list of relevant blogs, news sites, people who have reviewed Battleground, etc., that I can give a heads-up to and hopefully get some coverage or at least a Facebook/Twitter announcement.  I'm naturally hoping that all of you will make your own announcements when the Kickstarter goes live.  Please add blogs that you think I should be in touch with (and if you know the blogger, please make a note of that so I can ask for an introduction) and let me know if you're up for a bit of promotion when the Kickstarter happens.

Thanks,
Chad
David Humphrey está todavía en la Colina 217.
      - From Spanish translation of Hill 218 rules

Thranduil

• Playtester
Re: Kickstarter planned for Alexander set
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 05:55:12 PM »
 ;D

That is all

leemie

• Playtester
    • my fan made stuff
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 06:55:44 PM »
Sounds good.

Kevin

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 11:06:33 PM »
Cool.

Just curious, will there be any "premium" packages offered in the Kickstarter?  Prints of artwork or whatever?
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

elgin_j

• Playtester
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 02:14:50 AM »
Some advice ahead of time having listened to a lot of opinion on the gaming blogs/podcasts over the past few years:

1 - Get the website in order now.  From watching the experiences of failed kickstarters the state of the website as it is currently will likely have a significant detrimental effect.

2 - You need to include stretch awards and promos to entice people to kickstarter.  Given that this option is more expensive for the average consumer than waiting for release via OLGS you need to ensure you make kickstarter competitive.  As an example, I have been a BG:FW playing since '05 and am a vocal fan on BGG.  Nonetheless, if you were to release a fantasy set on kickstarter you would need to do a lot to convince me to kickstart rather than wait for it to release via conventional distribution channels at a notable price reduction.  Once you factor in shipping for non-US based customers and discounts for large orders online the price could be less than half the kickstarter price.

3 - Ensure you have a good video specifically about this product - not about other factions in the system...  If you can embed the java tutorial system onto the website that would be a huge boost to you as well.

4 - Finally, I know there is a lot of goof stuff for BG:HW on BGG and on the forums - ensure it is linked on the kickstarter so people can see the rules, etc.

5 - Consider a competition on BGG.  These cost money and you need to get in fairly ahead of time (from what I've read) but it will help propel the product onto the BGG hot list.  It's been at least 7 years since Battleground found itself there so that would be a major visibility boost.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 05:08:53 AM by elgin_j »
toodle pip

Kevin

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 09:50:58 AM »
elgin_j sounds like he knows his stuff.  The website especially, if it's going to be upgraded sooner or later, better sooner.

On another topic, here's a minor brainstorm of premium rewards:

- a .pdf of extra special condition Kingdoms cards
- Listed as a sponsor in the rulebook.
- A 5x7 print of the artwork of your choice.
- an 8x10 print of the artwork of your choice.
- Getting your name as flavor text.
- (This would be a big one).  Letting them choose which of 3-5 proposed fantasy armies would be the next one to be released.

Disclaimer:  my wife has said I've just about used up my gaming $ quota running the Championship Tournament, so I wouldn't be going in on anything too big.  But maybe someone else would. (Perhaps even with their winnings from Championship...)

----------------

Back to the main topic.  Given that we're running the Champshionship Tournamnet at Total Convfusion, it's possible that they'd allow a link to the Kickstarter project.
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

leemie

• Playtester
    • my fan made stuff
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 11:31:07 AM »
I like promo cards.

elgin_j

• Playtester
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 02:15:10 PM »
On another topic, here's a minor brainstorm of premium rewards:

- a .pdf of extra special condition Kingdoms cards
- Listed as a sponsor in the rulebook.
- A 5x7 print of the artwork of your choice.
- an 8x10 print of the artwork of your choice.
- Getting your name as flavor text.
- (This would be a big one).  Letting them choose which of 3-5 proposed fantasy armies would be the next one to be released.

I've highlighted one of the options in bold.  This isn't a bad idea as a lot of games have done this although usually they have modelled the individuals' image as part of the card as well.  These options get charged a premium so it's a decent way to raise revenue.  The historical modules makes this a credible option, though.

Unfortunately, I don't think the others will cut the mustard too much.  The artwork would be nice but what I'm sure will really encourage people to kickstart will be promos/bonus cards.  Be wary about offering something that can't be procured elsewhere as this usually results in acquisition-disorder hissy fits online that garner negative press.  I seem to recall that you offered some monster cards as promos for pre-orders several years past.  If you were to do this with some newly designed monsters/mercenary promo cards then it would make the kickstarter considerably more attractive.  If you have copies of some of your older games knocking around unsold this might also be a good opportunity to shift them.

Regardless of how you choose to proceed I'm sure you're spending a lot of time on kickstarter and BGG learning about where campaigns have been successful and where they've not.  There are some really good case studies there, including games that failed their first campaign and then succeeded only a few months later.
toodle pip

leemie

• Playtester
    • my fan made stuff
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 05:23:47 PM »
You could have a choose a monster/unit to be in the next monster/mercs deck option. A free your move game die. Those rulers you guys had. One of each card in the set signed by the designer and/or artist. Blank dice for objectives or other objectives marker. A new terrain pack would be cool. Free clear card sleeves for the set.

Chad_YMG

• Administrator
    • Your Move Games
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 11:18:04 AM »
Here are a few of the ideas I've been considering:

Promo card versions of 2-card units.  Just like we did with the colossal units of the past, the Phalanx units of Alexander could be made into single cards and included with every Kickstarter order.  These would have no gameplay difference, so I'm less worried about upsetting people; plus, there would probably be other ways to get them.  These would presumably just be included in the order.

Create two fantasy monster cards (one Greek, one Persian) and make promo cards of them.  These would officially be Mercenary cards, rather than part of the historical factions, but would obviously tie in with them.  This could be a (modest) stretch goal.  The units could appear in a future M&M set or we might make them available in the BoardGameGeek shop.

Name of flavor text gets tricky -- I'd be cautious about doing it in an historical faction, but could certainly consider it for a fantasy one.  (Kevin already built this in to the Championship tournament.)

elgin_j

• Playtester
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 01:03:01 PM »
Create two fantasy monster cards (one Greek, one Persian) and make promo cards of them.  These would officially be Mercenary cards, rather than part of the historical factions, but would obviously tie in with them.  This could be a (modest) stretch goal.  The units could appear in a future M&M set or we might make them available in the BoardGameGeek shop.

That is a really good stretch goal and would definitely stimulate interest and the fact that you offer it later to other players later (at a cost or whatever) won't promote ill-will amongst those who prefer to wait for a more general release. 
toodle pip

Chad_YMG

• Administrator
    • Your Move Games
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 01:30:19 PM »
Another option, either as a stretch goal or as a pledge purchase, would be perfect-bound, higher quality scenario books (combining both our historical releases, potentially) and/or rulebook.  I've been looking at POD options and that looks pretty attractive.

leemie

• Playtester
    • my fan made stuff
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 04:11:08 PM »
Here are a few of the ideas I've been considering:

It would be cool to have a myths and legends promo set that would add a fantasy monster for each of the historical sets (not that there are many). Basically another M and M

Exploding Ant

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 08:16:02 AM »
 ;D
This is probably obvious but I have seen Kickstarters that miss it, Multiple copy rewards tiers.  If you do have extra inventory this is a great way to move it out as well.  I have seen several Kickstarters that include reward tiers with copies of other games by that company. However it can lead to confusion when some one wants a higher tier as well. Having the mercenaries to use for promotion is excellent. Now I just have to make sure I have enough gaming cash set aside for the push.

ZiNOS

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 09:02:49 AM »
Fantasy promo cards actually sound very nice. Any large mythological beast of either cultures could really be a nice addition to each army. Or a new unit like Centaur Cavalry for Alexander and remember that the Roc and Manticore are of Persian origin. However, this may seem alien to some of the historical players and probably lower the research and effort that has been put in this release to make it as historically accurate as possible.[/li][/list]

So, how can we remove the fantasy aspect but actually keep the promo cards?

Include a scenario with Alexander vs Indians and the cards needed to field a preconstructed Indian Army. No command cards, just some abilities that can be used if you sacrifice a command army and a lot of the same type of units since the indian army of that era was a bit uniform IIRC. Of course this requires more work from a design perspective but the backer will get 2,5 armies :)

If this is still a bit too much time consuming then the most obvious solution would be alternate art for some of the cards. A Hetairoi unit clearly led by Alexander, Hypaspistes with different coloured uniforms and stances.

And why not, a second command deck of the armies included so that you can play mirror matches.

Promo rulers and double sized cards are i think a must, so i will not discuss these.

And sorry, no chance to get backers' name into the flavor text. I am Greek, trust me :). Even my actual name cannot traslate to ancient Greek since it's origins are Christian.

Just brainstorming.
DON'T PANIC <-------In Large Friendly Letters