Author Topic: Kickstarter decks  (Read 2025 times)

gull2112

• Administrator
  • From the RUSH faction
    • Meditations on Brain Injury
Kickstarter decks
« on: January 05, 2013, 05:52:23 PM »
Have you considered using kickstarter to publish new decks. Saying that when you have x dollars you can publish the deck might be a way for those who are interested to pay a little more to get it a little sooner. I don't know the numbers, but I would think it worth looking into.
"Rules are only as good as the book they're bound in."
http://gullsbattleground.blogspot.com/

leemie

• Playtester
    • my fan made stuff
Re: Kickstarter decks
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 07:27:53 PM »
I think that kickstarter could be good advertising as well. It would be nice to update the website before doing a kickstarter and maybe have the new edition of the rules ready, but i realize that is a lot of work. Depending on the size of the kickstarter you could offer older decks, markers, sleeves, dice, terrain and more as add ons. A lot of kickstarters have stretchgoals. The initial goal could be for one deck and you could stretch goal for the reinforcement. You could also offer promos that are alternate poses or colors of the older cards. For example a green dragon or an alternate tree ent pose. People love promos.

elgin_j

• Playtester
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 03:20:09 AM »
Speak for yourselves, gents.  I'm not paying more, plus significant overseas shipping costs, just to get something potentially a few weeks/months earlier.  I'll wait until it's sold within territory and I can secure free/cheap shipping and not have to concern myself with any customs headaches.
toodle pip

leemie

• Playtester
    • my fan made stuff
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 03:48:41 PM »
Speak for yourselves, gents.  I'm not paying more, plus significant overseas shipping costs, just to get something potentially a few weeks/months earlier.  I'll wait until it's sold within territory and I can secure free/cheap shipping and not have to concern myself with any customs headaches.
True. Kickstarter tends to be much better for people in the country of origin unless they can find a distributor in other countries.

Chad_YMG

• Administrator
    • Your Move Games
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 10:57:15 AM »
Actually, we're planning on doing a Kickstarter for the Alexander vs. Persia historical release.

Doing a Battleground KS has a few issues.  The relatively low price point ($25 for a single new faction) makes it a bit less profitable than for publishers of a $40-70 game, since shipping takes up a bigger chunk of the revenue.  More significantly, there's not as much room for interesting stretch goals or rewards, although there's certainly not none.

An historical release is more promising.  For one thing, it appeals not just to Battleground players but to history buffs so we might pick up some support from people who just think it's a cool product.  People can buy either the basic set or the set plus expansion, so the natural price points aren't just $25.  (Of course, we can and will also let people buy other Battleground products.)  There's also a cool story with the historical release, since it involves hiring someone to create all the new models, and this set has a multi-national development team too.
David Humphrey está todavía en la Colina 217.
      - From Spanish translation of Hill 218 rules