Author Topic: Sci-Fi Battles  (Read 2106 times)

Tryvor

Sci-Fi Battles
« on: December 17, 2012, 07:20:29 PM »
Has there been any consideration to an armored variant to Battleground? I kinda think of battleground as my pocket version of GW’s expensive fantasy war-game. As such I’m looking for a card based version of there 6mm Si-Fi War-game. I just love the idea of Tanks, Infantry, Artillery etc. all in a convenient box in my pocket that I can whip out at a convenient table. I’ve ignored the command cards in Battleground since my children are my most accessible opponents; hence the fewer special altering considerations you apply to a unit, the more I’m interested.

You could use polyhedrons in lieu of cubes to represent the more varied unit types. And I do kinda like the mechanic of scoring hits to moral which can be reversed through leadership options. Use your angled top-down approach to graphics and We’ve got a winner.

At least I think so.

Kevin

Re: Sci-Fi Battles
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 09:48:33 PM »
Hi Tryvor,

One feature of Battleground is that every new faction is fully compatible with other factions.  So, for example, your Roman army can take on the Orcs.  I have a really hard time envisioning a tanks-and-artillery (or spaceships-and-plasma-cannons!) army being compatible with the swords-and-horses armies of Battleground.

That said, I think Your Move Games may already have something close to what you want.  Have you ever tried The Battle for Hill 218?   (Disclaimer, I haven't played it myself, but I hear it's fun.)

P.S.  FYI I'm not the person in charge.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 09:53:38 PM by Kevin »
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

elgin_j

• Playtester
Re: Sci-Fi Battles
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 02:56:03 AM »
That said, I think Your Move Games may already have something close to what you want.  Have you ever tried The Battle for Hill 218?   (Disclaimer, I haven't played it myself, but I hear it's fun.)

It is fun but is not even remotely what the OP is looking for.  There is a decent downloadable version that you can try out against an AI, though, so it's worth a punt for both of you.
toodle pip