Author Topic: New faction ability - Nimble command  (Read 3678 times)

gull2112

• Administrator
  • From the RUSH faction
    • Meditations on Brain Injury
New faction ability - Nimble command
« on: December 05, 2012, 10:39:51 PM »
During the Movement and Command phase the player may discard one card and gain a Command Action. This Command Action may be spent in any way, including to draw another card.

"Rules are only as good as the book they're bound in."
http://gullsbattleground.blogspot.com/

Chad_YMG

• Administrator
    • Your Move Games
Re: New faction ability - Nimble command
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 11:01:18 AM »
Interesting.  The one negative that jumps out at me is that it would tend to reduce the tension over command actions, since if you draw a card now you can always turn it into a CA later -- and if you're ever really tight on CAs you can ditch a card for a boost.

One interesting possibility would be to expand this slightly and say that you can also pitch one card at the start of your opponent's M&C phase to change a unit's orders (being able to rally a routing unit would be too good).  That would let you do potentially interesting things like having your Spearmen change to Hold or some other holding unit get Close, but your opponent would see it coming so they could spend a CA of their own to prevent an unfavorable engagement.
David Humphrey está todavía en la Colina 217.
      - From Spanish translation of Hill 218 rules

gull2112

• Administrator
  • From the RUSH faction
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 11:29:44 AM »
True, but it is limited to one card per turn, and when that happens it can make for interesting decision making. Say you really like the cards in your hand, like you've got a couple red cards that you want to use for some attacks and a green card that is just awesome, but you're holding it for the right moment...Now what do you do?

Those are the kind of decisions that make the game tense and fun!

Pitching a card in your opponents turn sounds like a really cool ability. If these two abilities were to be with the same faction ability it MIGHT get too powerful, I accentuate the might because I don't think it would, but I would allow that it might. It is always a tough call. It is frustrating when I use a new power in a way that works really well, not because it is inherently over-powered, but because I have husbanded my resources and spent some effort to create the ideal situation, and then have somebody say it is over-powered and get it nerfed. Thid includes many, but definitely not all, of the nerfs that have occurred.

The Dark-Elf arrogant spite card is one that definitely falls into that category, most of the time it allows you to do one damage which is nothing more than cold comfort (DE's favorite kind), however it could be devastating if played at the right moment. I feel that if my DE opponent is trying to lure me into double pinching him so he can play that card, I'll do it! Even if I suspect he has that card. Shit, sorry, I'll get off my soap-box. Played an "Arrogant Spite" on myself. :P                    :)

Kevin

• Playtester
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 12:00:48 PM »
I feel that if my DE opponent is trying to lure me into double pinching him so he can play that card, I'll do it!

Arrogant Spite was errata'd a while back to ony do damage back to the first attacker to prevent exactly that sort of hosing.

Onto the general topic, I'd rather players not be able to dump a card to draw a card.  It'll just let players spin through their decks faster to find those really awesome cards, while other fairly interesting cards would end up not getting played.  IMHO that would be subtracting from the variety of the game rather than adding to it.
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

gull2112

• Administrator
  • From the RUSH faction
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 12:46:10 PM »
I know why Arrogant Spite was erratta'd, I just happen to disagree with it, and was mentioning it to make a point about a general sentiment. Because I have pretensions to civilization I submit to the majority and contain my bilious revulsion to admittedly impotent occasional rants. :)

To the matter at hand, I don't think the allowance of a one card per turn discard equals "spinning through a deck." However, if it that does turn out to be a problem, simply prohibitting the option of drawing a card in this case, would tend to limit the problem.

And you are right about the tendency to not use some cards that are less generally useful, that is why there is an advantage to having a nimble command. At the same time, a too heavy reliance on a reduced suite of cards could have its own drawbacks.

Finally, what if the only time this could be used is during the combat phase to change a unit's SO? In the interest of "no record keeping" I would not place a limit on it. This would be done in lieu of playing a card. In game mechanic terms, the player would "play" a card to the discard pile and change the SO of "the unit that could have had a card played on it." So in the combat sub-phase where a card could be played on a unit, this mechanic happens instead.

Ideally, this faction ability would be wedded to a faction that has a unit type or types that would benefit from this. Say a faction that used a lot of pole-arms and would naturally develope tactics for receiving charges while on the march, thus allowing for the possibility of switching from C to H in a pinch.

Obviously, I'm just spit-balling here, and the play-tested version might be quite a bit different.