Author Topic: Name this faction!  (Read 3940 times)

Hannibal

• Administrator
Name this faction!
« on: October 24, 2012, 12:23:38 PM »
First things, first, here is a chance for you the BGFW gamer to name one of the next fantasy factions!

The original name "Men of the Rudihnya" is a garbled version of "Rodina" which is the Russian word for 'motherland' connoting 'Mother Russia.'  The name was chosen to express the Slavic/Eastern European nature of the faction.  It was changed to "Rudihnya" so that a person didn't read "Rodina" and think it was a faction of rat-men.

However, the faction is pretty clearly not Russian at all but more of a fantasy Dracula faction, which has roots in the old kingdoms of Wallachia (or Vlachia) and Moldavia.

What do people think of the name Men of the Rudihnya?  Does that sit well or would you prefer something else that sounds cooler?  Something based off a derivation of Wallachia/Vlachia? 

One idea I had was to formalize European-based human factions as having some name ending in "-hold."  So if Hawkshold represents the Western European medieval humans, this faction could have some name like "men of Vlachold" or something like that.

What say you?

ZiNOS

• Administrator
Re: Name this faction!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 06:03:20 AM »
Again it is a pity that you do not live in Europe.

Vlachhold will sound silly in Greece because one "tribe" living in Greece now came from Romania and the ar called Vlachi. And beleive me, there are a lot of jokes about Vlachoi. Anywaym this was just trivia but i surely like more Rudihnya than enything ending in hold. But after all i am a non native English speaker, so -hold is actually something worthy in the English language that i do not get.

BTW, Rudihnya is spoken ru-DIH-nee-a or ru-dih-NEE-a?
DON'T PANIC <-------In Large Friendly Letters

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 02:58:43 PM »
Szganyhold
"You can never break the chain - There is never love without pain
A gentle hand, a secret touch on the heart
A healing hand, as secret touch on the heart"
-Rush, Secret Touch

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 10:51:46 AM »
Vlachhold will sound silly in Greece because one "tribe" living in Greece now came from Romania and the ar called Vlachi. And beleive me, there are a lot of jokes about Vlachoi.

I think they're probably either analogous to gypsies or they're the exact same people.

Anywaym this was just trivia but i surely like more Rudihnya than enything ending in hold. But after all i am a non native English speaker, so -hold is actually something worthy in the English language that i do not get.

A "Hold" in (older) English is a fortified place.  Today we'd probably say "Stronghold," by just saying 'hold' as a noun implies something like a castle.  Helm's Deep from the Lord of the Ring's movie is a perfect example, with Minas Tirith being a good example of a stronghold that is also a city.  I'd say in Greek, the closest translation would be the original definition of Acropolis (i.e. a fortified hill that folks can go to when the city is attacked).

If its used to describe a kingdom, it implies a militarized kingdom based around a bunch of fortified castles.  So Hawkshold implies a kingdom with medieval technology level based around a series of fortified castles and/or fortified cities, populated by a militarized society.

BTW, Rudihnya is spoken ru-DIH-nee-a or ru-dih-NEE-a?

Neither.  I've pronounced it like ru-DEEN-ya

Szganyhold

Whoa, whoa, whoa with the wall of text there buddy!  I mean, your explanation was so well explained that I certainly didn't have to go look up and find out that 'szgany' was the name of the Romani who served Dracula...but still, you got a bit wordy there...   ;)

My concern there is that's really hard on the English ear.  I'm reminded of playing Vampire when I was younger and people trying to pronounce Tzimisce.  After awhile basically it became like adults in Charlie Brown.  "Okay, so we'll go out and kill the Taz-miske...Shi-misshe..., uh, the (foreign] vampire."

ZiNOS

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 07:02:30 AM »
Yeah, i know what hold means, it is just that to my ears does not sound special or grand or something.

No, they are not Gypsies, on the contrary, totally different colours (fair hair), face shape (round) and body type (stocky).

Tall dwarves with a tendency to baldness  :P
DON'T PANIC <-------In Large Friendly Letters

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 01:50:28 PM »
How meta:  thread necromancy about an undead faction.

I'm still trying to decide if this is a good name for the faction.  To me, Rudihnya doesn't sound weird, but I've been using it for like a year now.  But I really want people's thoughts on this.  Does Rudihnya sound like "rat people" to you?  What would you suggest?

The theme of this is more Wallachia or Balkan European than Russia, so I could see other names for it.  There's still something like "Vlachold" to stick with the idea of the different "Holds" of men, with Hawkshold just being one of them.  Vlach is another spelling/pronunciation for Wallachia, which is where it came from.  I could also go very in-your-face about what type of faction this is and call them "Men of Drakhold."

Another option could be combining the Wallachia name with the world Vald or Wald, which is a Germanic root word that translates into either woods or realm/property (as in your right to rule over those things).  It would connote them living in rugged country but also the dominion of the vampires over them.  Something like Vlachwald.

Thoughts?

elgin_j

• Playtester
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 03:00:31 PM »
Sounds fine to me.  My only comment would be to remove 'Men of the...' as it makes it a bit of a mouthful.
toodle pip

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 03:06:16 PM »
Sounds fine to me. 

Yes, but which do you like?   8)

My only comment would be to remove 'Men of the...' as it makes it a bit of a mouthful.

You do know that "Hawkshold" is actually "Men of Hawkshold" right?   ;D

I imagine if we called them Men of Vlacwald, people would start calling them "Vlacwald" pretty quick. 

GoIndy

• Playtester
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 09:51:44 PM »
Just name it Underworld....I must say I think the Rudiwhatthehellever name is pretty weak.

elgin_j

• Playtester
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 01:55:39 AM »
Rudihnya sounds fine.
toodle pip

gornhorror

• Playtester
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 11:08:53 AM »
How about: The Coven.
Where's this shade, that you got it made?

lazyj

• Playtester
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 11:16:04 AM »
Heh. I was actually thinking about these guys the other day, my long hiatus from the forums notwithstanding. Nice to see there is active progress being made. What about going off the geographic features of the land they're in? There's sort of a precedence in Ravenwood.

So I was thinking about the predominant regional feature corresponding to their "real" world space: the Carpathian mountains. Men of... Ardeal? Karpates? Carpati?

Or maybe more specifically, a pass through the mountains that is of special relevance to these people? Just for the name of it, I've been fond of Pasul Vulcan. Wardens of the Vulcan Pass? Guards of the Iron Gate?

Or tie it in to historical kingdoms or fiefdoms, similar to the "Wallach" approach? Kingdom of Dachya? I do like your Vlachwald suggestion too.

Not too invested in any of these, but I figured I'd toss a few brainstorms out there.

Torrg

• Playtester
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 01:19:11 PM »
There's still something like "Vlachold" to stick with the idea of the different "Holds" of men, with Hawkshold just being one of them.  Vlach is another spelling/pronunciation for Wallachia, which is where it came from. 

I could also go very in-your-face about what type of faction this is and call them "Men of Drakhold."

Another option could be combining the Wallachia name with the world Vald or Wald, which is a Germanic root word that translates into either woods or realm/property (as in your right to rule over those things).  It would connote them living in rugged country but also the dominion of the vampires over them.  Something like Vlachwald.

Thoughts?
I like all three bolded above.
"Drakhold" for Vlad being from "The order of the Dragon"
"Vlachwald" sounds more authentic to my ear and reminds me of "Tirgoviste" with the forest of  20,000 turks impaled outside of it.
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
Robert A. Heinlein

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2013, 10:26:02 AM »
Getting caught up after a weekend away.

I must say I think the Rudiwhatthehellever name is pretty weak.

I love an honest opinion.   ;D

How about: The Coven.

I like that name, but I'm not sure it fits the Eastern European theme I was going for.  It seems like a great fit for a demon faction.

So I was thinking about the predominant regional feature corresponding to their "real" world space: the Carpathian mountains. Men of... Ardeal? Karpates? Carpati?

Not a bad idea at all.  Which do you think is best?  I'll add it to a poll.

Or maybe more specifically, a pass through the mountains that is of special relevance to these people? Just for the name of it, I've been fond of Pasul Vulcan. Wardens of the Vulcan Pass? Guards of the Iron Gate?

I want to avoid this because it brings back a Greco-Roman theme (Vulkan and all).

Or tie it in to historical kingdoms or fiefdoms, similar to the "Wallach" approach? Kingdom of Dachya?

Couldn't find Dachya with google.  Kept referring me to dacha, which is a Russian summer resort.  Not at all the idea I want to evoke.  Sunbathing vampires would make for a lame faction.   ;D

I'm going to start a poll on this so folks can vote.  Right now the options I have are:

Men/Lords of the Rudihnya
Men/Lords of Drakhold
Men/Lords of Vlachwald
Men/Lords of Vlachold
Men/Lords of Karpates (or something else if lazyj has a better idea)
Men/Lords of Tirgoviste

Since this faction has evolved into the vampires taking a more prominent role, another option I'll add is ditch the "Men of" and go with "Lords of" to bring the vampires into a more prominent position.

If people have other suggestions, toss them out.  I'll put up the poll tomorrow sometime.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 10:30:36 AM by Hannibal »

GoIndy

• Playtester
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2013, 01:57:31 PM »
Nonstakeholders of Vlachwald

Nonstakeholders...heh heh.