Author Topic: Championship Tournament at TotalCon (Feb. 23-24 2013, Mass.) Big Prizes!  (Read 24246 times)

Kevin

Championship 2013 will be happening in February 23-24 at Total Confusion, Mansfield Mass.

Registration is Now Open!  Go to the Total Confusion Website.

The format will be pretty simliar to that of Championship 2012, with a few tweaks (See below).

Cash prizes will remain the same, but instead of medals, we'll be going with something more useful.  Feast your eyes!

1st place, Championship:  $500 cash and a blue dice bag with 12 gold-plated dice!  :o
2nd Place, Championship:  $250 cash and a red dice bag with 12 silver-plated dice!   ;D
3rd Place, Championship:  $175 cash and a green dice bag with 12 copper-plated dice!  :)
4th Place, Championship:  $100 cash

1st Place, Sunday Speed Swiss:  $100 cash and a blue dice bag with 12 blue dice.
2nd Place, Sunday Speed Swiss:  $50 cash and a red dice bag with 12 red dice.
3rd Place, Sunday Speed Swiss:  $35 cash and a green dice bag with 12 yellow dice.
4th Place, Sunday Speed Swiss:  $20 cash

1st place new/casual:  a free faction ($30 value)
2nd place new/casual:  a free deck ($15 value)
3rd place new/casual:  a free deck ($15 value)
4th place new/casual:  a free deck ($15 value)
Note:  new/casual players are eligible to win these in addition to the prizes above.

Only the best for my Champions.   8)

-----------------------------

New players and folks from far away are especially welcome!  The Sunday Swiss Tournament is a chance for more casual players to win stuff, as the top players will be playing the final rounds of Championship.  We even have folks who can put up travelers from out out town.  And it's a great time for everyone!

Tournament details below:

Saturday Schedule

10:00 AM - tournament registration opens
10:14 AM - tournament registration closes and people are paired for round 1.

10:15 AM start of round 1:  2000 Points, Total Warfare, Open Map.
Games completed & reported by 1:20  (I expect most games to finish much earlier than that, and folks to grab a bite to eat after this game.)

1:30 PM - start of round 2 - 1500 Points, Ticking Clock, Terrain, Special Condition.
Games completed & reported by 3:35.

3:45 PM - start of round 3 - 2000 Points, Total Warfare, Open Map, Secret-and-Simultaneous Deployment, Two Special Conditions.  
Games completed and reported by 7:05.  (I expect most games to finish much earlier than that, and folks to grab a bite to eat after this game.)

7:15PM - start of round 4 - 2000 points, Ticking Clock, Terrain, Special Condition.
Games completed and reported by 9:35.

Only people with more wins than losses make the final rounds:  Everyone who goes 4-0 or 3-1 is automatically advanced to the final rounds.  People who go 2-2 play in a "tie breaker" round, where those who win also get into the final rounds.  (If we get over 16 people some people who go 2-2 might have to play two tie breakers.  Last year we had 15 people.)

9:45PM - start of the tie-breaker speed round (played by only a few people).  This will start earlier if possible.  1200 points, Open Reduced Map, Breaking Point.   (Under special circumstances this game can be played early Sunday morning.)

----------------
Sunday Schedule

Quarterfinals at 10:00 AM.  2000 Points, Ticking Clock, Terrain, Special Condition.

Semifinals:  2000 Points, Ticking Clock, Terrain, Special Condition.

Finals:  2000 Points, Total Warfare, Terrain.

(There will be finals games to determine both first place and third place.)

Sunday Speed Swiss:

3 or 4 rounds, starting 10:00 AM Sunday.  Most rounds will be on open "half-maps," with games taking 90 minutes or less.  Most games will be Total Warfare with a special condition; points will vary.  Most games will have special rules or some other twist.  For example, a piece of terrain may be auctioned off to the highest bidder, who then places it wherever desired; or a border may be extra wide.

People who get knocked out of the quarterfinals will be able to play in the Speed Swiss, though they may end up playing one less game than others.  (Placing is determined by net victories broken by the Special Swiss Rule below.)

----------------------

As with last time, there will be an assistant judge, who will be available to play games with the "odd person out" if we have an odd number of people. [1]  This game will count toward that person's record.

Special Swiss Rule, which applies to both the Championship and the Sunday Speed tournament:

When two people have the same win-loss record, ties are broken by the win-loss records of the opponents, as is standard.  However, if two people with the same win-loss record have played each other, and whoever lost that game is currently ranked above whoever won it, the person who lost is moved down in rankings to just below the person who won it.

For example, if 4 people go 3-1:  A (opponent record 11-5) B (opponent record 9-7)  C (opponent record 8-8) and D (opponent record 6-10), rankings would normally go A, B, C, D.  If C defeated A, and B defeated D, then rankings will go B, C, A, D.

If there is a "loop" or other paradox, then nobody's rank changes based on the games that formed the loop.  (For example, if in the above example  A beat B, who beat C, who beat A, nobody changes position and the ranks remain A, B, C, D.)

This rule only applies when two people has equal win-loss records.  For example 3-1 always beats 2-2, even if the person who went 2-2 defeated the person who went 3-1.
-------------------------

Other stuff:

- Foam Brain Games will be selling Battleground products at the con.

- As with previous Championship Tournaments, many measures to ensure clean games will be practiced:  table dice, armies verified by judges, and all units are put in provided felt-backed card holders to prevent them from accidentally moving.

- Also as with previous Championship Tournaments, the judge (= me) is considered the final arbiter of both rules and measurements.  The judge should be called over immediately to resolve any disagreement or ambiguity related to rules or measurements.

- In addition to the official rules, a small number of special rules will be in used.  You can see the special rules here.

-------

[1] Rachel sadly is in Texas these days, but I've found a new assistant, Blakely, who will be properly trained by the time we all start.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 01:23:36 PM by Kevin »
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

Niko White

• Celestial Guard
  • A tíro nin, Fanuilos!
Re: Championship Tournament 2013 (Feb. or Mach 2013, Cambridge, Mass.)
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 12:17:47 AM »

Here's what I have so far at Pandemonium:

Feb 2nd/3rd: Magic set release (space unavailable)
Feb 16th/17th: Boskone local con (space available, but I probably couldn't come)
Mar 2nd: Magic Pro Tour Qualifier (space available, but I can't make it and likely it'll cause attrition among locals who play both games)
Mar 23rd/24th: PAX East (space available but strongly advise we don't go up against PAX East!)

That's what I've got for now.

Also I love the dice instead of medals, that's classy as heck.

Uriel Doombringer

• House of Midnight
  • High Blood Prince of Conquered Ravenwood
Re: Championship Tournament 2013 (Feb. or Mach 2013, Cambridge, Mass.)
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 08:35:11 AM »
Sweet dice!
Yours shall be the doom of the elves of Ravenwood, if you oppose the demands of the pure blood.

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
I am going to consult with my matriarchal family unit to see which of the available dates are best.
"You can never break the chain - There is never love without pain
A gentle hand, a secret touch on the heart
A healing hand, as secret touch on the heart"
-Rush, Secret Touch

Moose

• Administrator
Doesn't matter to me, my wife is working all 3 of those weekends, so whichever it turns out to be if I want to come she will have to take time off from work  :)

Mexico

I am currently free for all three weekends, but we all know that I will manage to book whichever ones you don't choose as well.

Kevin

Update.  At the moment, I'm leaning toward doing the Championsihp Tournament on Feb. 23-24, and doing at at Totalcon, a gaming con in Mansfield, Mass.  (30 miles south of Boston).

Squawk now or hold your peace.

Totalcon actually starts Thursday evening, so while Championship would be Saturday & Sunday, folks could go early & play other games.  The hotel there is also a lot cheaper, though I'd be commuting from Boston and can put folks up and/or give folks a ride.  There's also a commuter rail stop which is pretty close and I or my assistant will be able to pick people up from there.

One advantage of Totalcon:  unlike at Pandemonium Books & Games, alcohol is permitted.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 12:28:28 PM by Kevin »
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

Dave-SWA

• The Schenectady Wargamers Association
I totally support this idea.
(In the spirit of full disclosure, I lobbied for it.)

Price for a room at the TotalCon Holiday Inn = $93/night con rate.
Rooms in downtown Boston near Pandemonium: a quick Expedia search shows ranges of $150-175 for established chain hotels.  Over $300 for a more luxury option.

I also think there are a lot of benefits to being at a full gaming convention.

-DC
Schenectady Wargamers Association
An Adventure Gaming club serving the Capital District of upstate New York for over 40 years.
Council of Five Nations (Oct 5-7, 2018)
www.swa-gaming.org

Kevin

Re: Championship Tournament 2013 (Feb. or March 2013, Mass.) Big Prizes!
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 07:56:54 AM »
I've emailed Totalcon about hosting it there, though it's not too late to back out. 

Question for you guys.  It would be really good if someone could run demos there on Friday.  (Ideally all day, but at minimum in the evening.)  I probably won't be able to make it there Friday due to work.  But is someone else willing/able to do this?  Niko?  Jaime?  Marcus?

Niko White

• Celestial Guard
  • A tíro nin, Fanuilos!
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 09:06:52 AM »

I might or might not be able to do it, depending on how I need to arrange coverage for the weekend days I need off.  You should also contact Chad, just in case he doesn't see this - he's done TotalCon in the past and might well want to return if the championship will be there.

BubblePig

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 09:11:13 AM »
I would be up for running demos, but it is hard for me to know this far in advance whether I will be available on Friday.

Kevin

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 10:27:23 AM »
Good suggestion, Niko, and thanks, Ron.

I'll schedule demos for Friday evening and will trust that somebody can do it.  If I get an affirmative from someone, we'll do demos all day.

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 10:57:50 AM »
Running demos depends on whether or not I get that Friday off of work.  Since Brook and Chris (and maybe Tim or even Rob?) come up with us it would also depend upon them.  So for now I think it would be safe to day that we couldn't do it at this point though that may change.
"You can never break the chain - There is never love without pain
A gentle hand, a secret touch on the heart
A healing hand, as secret touch on the heart"
-Rush, Secret Touch

Kevin

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 01:38:50 PM »
OK Marcus the Jersey Boys are officially off the hook.   :)

Dave-SWA

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 07:47:50 PM »
I will be Chad's backup to run demos if he or someone else is not available.

I'll run my Conflict of Heroes event on Friday afternoon.

-DC
Schenectady Wargamers Association
An Adventure Gaming club serving the Capital District of upstate New York for over 40 years.
Council of Five Nations (Oct 5-7, 2018)
www.swa-gaming.org