Author Topic: Four new Faction Ideas  (Read 12241 times)

leemie

• my fan made stuff
Four new Faction Ideas
« on: August 14, 2012, 12:13:05 AM »
Army concept one: Swamp Kobolds (Kobolds of the cursed swamp)

Theme: Until recently it was believed that life could not exist in the dead forests surrounding the kingdom of Darss. For generations kings in that region have exiled those sentenced to death into the forests never to be seen again. Unknown to these kings the exiles survived and plotted revenge against the kingdom that cast them out. It was not long until they discovered that there were inhabitants of the forest, simple kobolds. They knew nothing of war and were easily manipulated, believing all that the outcasts told them. Now the outcasts have formed an army and lead the Kobolds to war.

Look: Classic Kobold

Playstyle: a horde army that fights about the same as humans when they are concentrating, but with worse courage; especially if you leave them to manage themselves.

Faction ability / trait
                    Lost Without Command: At the beginning of each of your command phases, after the first, erase a concentration box from each of your units. A unit with no concentration boxes checked suffers a (-1) -1/-0  [-1 courage] penalty and an additional -1/-0 penalty if engaged.

Whenever you direct control a unit, change its standing orders or play a command card on it, you must check all of its concentration boxes. 

generic orders: you may discard a command card to recheck all of a units concentration boxes.

Special unit type: horde: Horde units consist of two cards, similar to colossal units.  Hordes lose two attacks and courage for being in yellow and four for being in red.

Unit ideas

Core:

Kobold mob:   [  ] [  ]  (5) 5/4  1/1  -  10  3.5''  GGG-YYY-RRRR // 

Kobold horde: [  ]  (9) 5/4 1/1  -  13  3.5''  GGGGGG-YYYYY-RRRRRR // Horde

Kobold Milita: [  ] [  ] [  ]  (6) 5/5  2/1  -  11  3.5'' GGG-YYYY-RRRR //

Kobold milita horde:  [  ] [  ] (10) 5/5  2/1  -  14  3.5'' GGGGGG-YYYYYY-RRRR // horde

Kobold spearmen: [  ] [  ] [  ] (7) 5/5  2/1  -  11  3.5'' GGG-YYYY-RRRR // spear modifiers

Kobold spear horde: [  ] [  ] (11) 5/5  2/1  -  14  3.5'' GGGGGG-YYYYYY-RRRR // horde. spear modifiers

Kobold archers:  [  ] [  ] (5) 5/4  2/1  12''  11  3.5'' GGG-YYY-RR // (-0) -2/-2 in close combat

Normal:

Kobold bog guardians: [  ] [  ] [  ] (6) 5/5  2/1  -  12  3.5'' GGGG-YYY-RRRR // Do not lose concentration until they have taken damage.

Kobold owl tamers: [  ] [  ] (4) 4/4  2/1  *  12  3.5'' GGG-YY-RR // Range attack 14'' (4) 8/4 or pester: unit within 14'' takes a courage check; if it fails then it changes its orders to close with this unit as it's objective (this may add a modifier to a unit that under normal circumstances could not receive one)

Will'O'Wisps: GGGGG   (3) 6/4  3/0  7''  X  3.5''      ignores terrain, no penalty for move + shoot, autopass courage checks,
                                                                    always on range order (may be modified). Wisps do not give or receive pinch bonuses. If wisps
                                                                    would take more than 2 damage from an attack reduce it to 2 damage.

Kobold toad calvary : [  ] [  ] [  ]   (4) 5/5  2/2  3.5''*  12  5''  GGG-YY-R // cavalry. (+0) +0/+1  when charging. +1 additional impact hit.           
                                                                                                                                           *javelin(tongues)

Elite:

cutthroat outcasts: (5) 5/5 2/2  -  -  3.5'' GGGG-YYY-RRR // autopass courage checks, Does not lose attacks for being in red or yellow. 

Outcast riders: (4) 5/5  2/2  -  *  5'' GGG-YY-RR // Calvary. (+1) +0/+1 +1/+0 when charging. autopass courage checks, Does not lose attacks for being in red or yellow.

deadwood ents: (5) 5/7 1/3 -  14  5'' GGGGGGGG-YYYYYY-RRRRR // large, take one damage during each of your command phase after the first. 
                                                                                           Fearsome. Auto pass courage.

Bog wyvern (5) 5/6 2/3  -  13  3.5'' GGGG-YY-RR // 6'' fly , large

Command card ideas:
Surprising focus (blue)   +1/+0 and deal one damage to the attacking unit if it is engaged with or in range of this card.

turn to wisp: (green)when a non wisp unit of yours dies you may discard X command cards to replace the unit with a unit of will'o'wisps with 1+X Life. This unit goes in the same place as the killed unit, with the same facing but is unengaged if the defeated unit was engaged.

Concentrated effort:  (red):  (+x) +1/0 where X is amount of concentration this unit had before playing this card.

More Kobolds!:  heal  two kobold units by 1 or a horde by 2 (green)

Scatter: (Blue) Do not check boxes for playing this card. uncheck all of a units concentration: it gains +4/+0
                                                                             (-1/-0 for lost without command if engaged)

Back in line! : (green) one unit gains +1 courage this turn. draw a command card

Glance of Approval: (Red), play before rolling to hit, +1 attack, draw a command card

« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 07:07:49 PM by leemie »

leemie

• my fan made stuff
Re: Four new Faction Ideas
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 12:13:50 AM »
Army 2 :Goblins of the Frozen Plains.

Theme: Eskimo Goblins
  + 

Look: Light blue skinned goblins, with extra-long pointy ears. Common attire is dark blue cloaks with fur around the top. Many also have grey, purple, crimson red, or navy blue facial hair.

Story: no big back story here; an very northern tribe of goblins who, unlike many other northern inhabitants, refuse to migrate with the seasons. They have come to love their home and will protect its boarders from any invaders should negotiations fail.

Faction ability/ traits: keen eye. ( a check box ability) spend command action to check box. Un-check the box during an attack to give (+0) +1/+0. This is unique because it doesn't count as playing  command card, but it can only be used with raged attacks ( including javelins) or in the first round of close combat [except when fighting to the rear].

Units:
Spearmen
long spearmen
javelins
blow dart guns: 7'' range
crossbows: 12'' range, slow down non large enemies hit
scouts: 5'' move, dual weapons
yetti riders: unit of 3. large. 3.5'' move 5'' final rush.
raccoon bear cavalry: (squad of 5) centaur javelins
The lost: their minds are lost from decades of warfare. autopass courage checks, with large weapons such as ball and chain. large mallets, battle axes. They can always use keen eye.
Ancient raccoon bear: colossal. (5) 5/8 1/4 - *  7'' [auto pass courage.2 impact hits and +2 attacks when final rushing.] special attack chomp: each turn you may select one of your hits [non impact] to automatically wound; if you do heal this unit by one.

Chanters: they have three different chants. you may spend a command action to start a chant, you may only have one active per unit of chanter and must spend a command action to change chants. (there will be icons for the chants on front of card to circle the active one)

Chants: Blizzard:
                        passive: enemy units attacking farther than 7'' suffer may not use command cards
                        Passive (2): if 2 or more units are doing this chant: also receive (-0)-1/-0 unless they toss a command card
                        Active attack: inflict (d6) */3 hits on a unit within 17''

Foresee:
                        Passive: during your command phase look at the top x command cards where x is the # of units performing this chant. You may  
                                    put one of these cards on the bottom of the deck. Put the rest on top of your deck in any order.
                        Active: draw a card
           Call of the hunt:
                        Passive: your units ignore terrain penalties.
                        Passive (2): if 2 or more are chanting your units gain +1MC when final rushing.
                        Active: mark a keen eye box.

Command card ideas:
  1. Chill: green. select an enemy unit. it moves at -1mc next turn
  2. Precise eye: (+0) +1/+0 or (+0) +3/+0 if used at the same time as keen eye

« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 04:33:53 PM by leemie »

leemie

• my fan made stuff
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 12:14:43 AM »
Guardians of Asera Pass

Theme: Egyptian style naga (half snakes) (different units have different scale patterns)

Background: Many armies have tried to take the shortcut through the Niath mountains which runs across the center of the continent. Merchants and traders have long considered the pass to be cursed and for as long as written history has existed in Hawkshold, no army has ever emerged from the pass alive. However, the new king of Hawkshold has declared that the time to open the pass has come. A great war is brewing.

Army special rules:
Quick sand: are special command cards with only a picture of sand and -2mc on the face. Placing these cards takes one command action. You may place these anywhere that is not in a deployment zone. the placement is permanent and gives -2mc terrain in the area.

Snake: a unit type

Sphinx: are rare may only include 1 at 1000pts, 2 at 1500pts, 3 at 2000pts
          Sphinx may use one the following powers each turn (ancient sphinx may use 2)
1. riddle: target a unit in 14'' it may not have cards played on it. can remove the riddle by ditching a command card. A unit may have up to 2 riddles on it at one time.
2. search your deck for a quicksand card and put it in your hand
3. unmake: uncheck a box on an enemy unit.
4. gaze of absolution: range 5'', 2 impact hits, the target may not move or make a ranged attack next turn. [only on untis of same size or smaller]

units
naga swordsmen (5) 5/5 2/1 - 12 5''  // +1/+0 vs range, one impact hit
naga spearmen (6) 5/5 2/1 - 12 5'' // +1/+0 vs range,  +spear modifiers
naga sword and shield (5) 5/5 3/1 -  12  5''  // +1/+0 vs range,
naga dual swords  (6) 6/5  2/2  -  13  5''     (four arms) // one impact hit, +1/+0 vs range
naga bow (5) 5/5  2/1  12'' 12  5''  // +1/+0 vs range,   (-1) -1/-1 in cc
Lamia (http://www.wildlife-fantasy.com/artwork/lamia.jpg) (5) 5/4 1/1 - 13 6''  /  (+1) +2/+2 when attacking flank or rear. Infiltrate. cavalry.
Sphinx: (4) 6/6  1/3 -  14  5''  // fly, large. counts as regular size when being shot at.
ancient sphinx: (4) 7/7  1/3  -   -  5''  /  colossal, fly. enemies may not play cards against. counts as regular size when being shot at.
Side winders: (unit of 2)  (5) 5/7  2/3  -   14  6'' // large, no penalty for moving sideways. flanks count as front for all reasons. Fearsome. (look like rattlers)
Vipers: (female bright green, geisha style with fans) (4) 6/X  3/0  -  12  6'' // +1/+0 vs range, all hits auto wound.
snake swarm: (6) 4/4  2/0  -  -  5''  // auto pass courage, auto close.
Naga Hatchlings: (small naga with hand weapons)  (6) 5/4 1/1  -  11  5''// +1/+0 vs range

*all units besides lamia and sphinx are snakes [certain cards can only be played on snakes]

command card ideas:
4x quick sand cards
2x coiled strike: +2.5 movement for a final rush and/or (+1) +0/+0 (Green/Red)  snake only
2x shed skin: heal a snake unit by 2
2x constrict: green: play when an enemy unit would rout from close combat with a snake: instead the unit takes 3 impact hits and turns so that its rear is touching your unit (if possible).
2x They're still moving! : a snake unit counts as being in green for this turn and gets (+0) +1/+0 . (green/red) can't play other command cards on.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 02:00:18 PM by leemie »

leemie

• my fan made stuff
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 12:15:54 AM »
The Storm Gifted (Norse Werewolves)

look: snow vikings / armored werewolves but with some lightning jumping around their fur/ claws.

Background: Many in the tribe change during storms, the most experienced change at will, but some were born without the gift, and others have found that they may not revert back. The nomadic tribes of the southern islet refer to them as The Gifted. The Gifted do not change with the moon but in the presence of storm clouds, they believe to be sent by their gods. Their howls are thunder and their claws are lightning; when storm clouds appear on the horizon the southern tribes run north for shelter, it is not the rain they fear...

Special ability/ faction trait
                 You may spend a command action to check a gift of the gods box on a unit. You may uncheck the box to perform either a lightning surge or a thunderclap.
                  Lightning surge: inflict an power 5 impact hit on a unit within 3.5'' (auto hit javelin) no command cards can be played by either side
                  Thunder clap: Change a die to a 2 when wounding in close combat. (doesn't count as command card)
Transform: several units have a ! for a courage value. Units with this value transform whenever they take a courage check for any reason, unless they roll lower than 5 for their check. When transforming to another unit; simply replace the the unit card with the new unit card; the new unit starts with the same damage, orders, and boxes checked.

Unit ideas:
Wolf pack (just wolves): (5) 5/4  1/1  -  -  5''  auto close, no command cards, auto pass courage
Giant wolf cavalry: (great warriors not given the gift ride giant wolves to battle)
Initiates:  (5)  5/5  2/1  -  !  3.5''   (swords)   transform to werewolves
spear initiates:  (6) 5/5  2/1  -  !  3.5''  // spear modifiers, transform to werewolves
[  ]  [  ] Storm bringers (mages)   //  transform to close combat werewolves surrounded by lightning who have a free lightning surge each turn
[  ]  Trackers  (ranged scouts)  // transform to werewolves with wolverine style claws
[  ]  White wolves (giant werewolves unit of 2)  (4)7/6   2/3  -  -  3.5''  // large, autopass courage
[X]  [  ] werewolves with 2 handed hammers: (5) 6/6  2/3  -  - 3.5''  //  autopass courage, free thunderclap once per turn
[  ]  werewolves with battle axes: (5) 5/7  2/2  -  -  3.5'' //  autopass courage
[  ]  Guardians (kite shield werewolves, no weapons):  (4)  5/6  3/2  -  14  3.5''
[  ]  [  ] Snow oxen chariot (one giant snow oxen with werewolf riders): (4) 5/8  0/5  -  12  3.5'' // 5'' and (+0)+2/+1 final rush, stupid, colossal, 3 impact hits, [has LOTS of life]

Transformed cards:
[  ]  Werewolves: (6)5/6  2/1  -  - 5'' // auto close, autopass courage
[X] [  ] Werewolves (from mages)
[  ] Werewolves from trackers

Army design: more of an elite army with fewer units on the field.

command card ideas:
1. Howl of thunder: (green) up to 3 units may thunder clap for free this turn (in addition to normal thunderclaps).  or check a box
2. chain lightning: (red) a lightning surge does 3 impact hits at power 6 instead or check a box
3. Hunt: (green) May shift 3 of your unengaged units by 1.5" ( a colossal counts as 2 units)
4. Gifts of the gods: check 2 boxes
5. overcharge: red : (+3) +1/+0 roll a d6 on a 1-3 take 1 damage, 4-5 take 2, 6 take 3

« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 12:15:44 AM by leemie »

Kevin

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 07:05:33 AM »
I like the kobold concept a lot, and "Lost Without Command" is really fresh!  Somewhat iffy on their larger units, and you'd still want a way to differentiate them from goblins while keeping them viable.
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

gornhorror

• Rules Team
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 12:58:47 PM »
I like the Naga army.  It has some really good ideas.  I like the Lamia and the Viper units.   Very cool.  You could do a lot with this faction.  I also like the Egyptian feel. 
Where's this shade, that you got it made?

Kevin

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 01:29:31 PM »
I like the Naga army.  It has some really good ideas.  I like the Lamia and the Viper units.   Very cool.  You could do a lot with this faction.  I also like the Egyptian feel.

The Egyptian feel is cool, and I could definitely see a fantasy Egypt army happening down the road.  That said, the playabilty of the units as presented wouldn't work well.  Units tilted too heavily toward the offense get slaughtered by stand-and-shoot and/or induce feelings of despair in the oponent (Cavalry getting +1/+0 vs. ranged helps, but not enough.) 

Meanwhile, making all of your Core units cavalry means your opponent will load up on spearmen and you get owned.
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

leemie

• my fan made stuff
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 06:31:16 PM »

The Egyptian feel is cool, and I could definitely see a fantasy Egypt army happening down the road.  That said, the playabilty of the units as presented wouldn't work well.  Units tilted too heavily toward the offense get slaughtered by stand-and-shoot and/or induce feelings of despair in the oponent (Cavalry getting +1/+0 vs. ranged helps, but not enough.) 

Meanwhile, making all of your Core units cavalry means your opponent will load up on spearmen and you get owned.
the +1/+0 would help vs range, and even though they are easy to wound they could always have more life boxes than average, but they would need an answer for armies taking too many spearmen...they are quite fast and have a flying unit, so flanking is always an option. Also keep in mind these are very rough drafts; I had some time on a long train ride and nothing but pen and paper so all this was just off the top of my head.

Kevin

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 07:08:14 PM »
Don't let me squash any ideas.  While I do think spears would be an intractable problem for an all-core-cav army, a 1/1 defense statline could be viable in a game sense if you compensated by giving the units tons of hit points. (about 13 if you wanted to make it like a typical 2/1, and around 17 if you wanted to make it like a typical 2/2).
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 07:20:09 PM by Kevin »

leemie

• my fan made stuff
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 10:59:04 PM »
updated naga army, and added the wolf army

Mexico

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 03:30:56 AM »
Let me add my vote to the Kobold army. It's got a lot of awesome flavor and I too dig the army ability. Not so much an ability as a weakness, but that translates to a favorable point discount.

I'm REALLY not a fan of the Giant Sloth, and not particularly enamored of the armored kobolds, but I like what you're doing with the Will o' the Wisps.

I like the concept of the Will o the Wisp command card, too. Not sure how it would work in practice but it's a neat idea.  What's the point of the card that makes your own units rout? As it stands all you'll get is  a lot of dead kobolds.

leemie

• my fan made stuff
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 01:44:17 PM »
Kobolds now have unit stats draft 1

Chad_YMG

• Administrator
    • Your Move Games
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 04:36:51 PM »
The Kobold theme is really cool.  I've played around with the idea of a horde-based army but never came up with something I really liked.  Most of my ideas centered around numbers (e.g. units whose power/morale was based on the number of units in play) but this tends to lead to very swingy games.  Your concept of gradual deterioration through "Lost Without Command" is a really cool idea -- the  potentially annoying bookkeeping step aside.  :)  I like how it gives you a nice mechanism for distinguishing between levels of training too.

In terms of how to price Lost Without Command, smaller units may deserve MORE of a discount (usually crappy units get less of a discount) because while the penalty for getting Lost is not as big, cheap units means more units which means more marks disappearing.  (This is on top of the cheaper units typically having fewer boxes.)

A few other thoughts: 

I think Lost Without Command might be better if it started after the first engagement.  It's hard to judge without testing, but this army feels like it could be very vulnerable to stand-and-shoot builds.

I think it would be interesting to explore some other ways your army may deteriorate over time.

For the faction-specific command cards you may want to exploit the fact that just playing a card on a unit is valuable.  A card that gives +1 attack to two units and counts as playing a card on them, for example, might be a fine green card.  You could also have really mediocre cards that are cantrips -- e.g. Glance of Approval, Red, play before rolling to hit, +1 attack, draw a command card.

Concentrated Effort is interesting.  Normally when you play a card you check all the boxes, so technically this card should either always give the full bonus (if the checking happens before the card effect) or it should give a good bonus with no penalty (if the checking happens after).  Is your intent that it wouldn't do the normal checking?
David Humphrey está todavía en la Colina 217.
      - From Spanish translation of Hill 218 rules

leemie

• my fan made stuff
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 06:06:37 PM »
Yes the intent would be instead of checking boxes you could uncheck boxes, or a different way would be it checks all the boxes, then you have the option to uncheck some for a bonus.

BubblePig

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 08:32:29 PM »
I like the kobolds, too. Interesting CA mechanic.