Author Topic: Alexander vs Persia: an update  (Read 29994 times)

Kevin

• Administrator
Re: Alexander vs Persia: an update
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2013, 01:12:52 PM »
The breastplate seems rather...anatomical.  Were they really like that?  I suppose it someone was going to do that, it would be the Greekis, but spare us the armored codpiece.  :P
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2013, 01:22:04 PM »
What have you got against codpieces Kevin?

"Art as expression, not as market campaigns
Will still capture our imaginations"
-Rush, Natural Science

Enupnion

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2013, 01:32:27 PM »
The breastplate seems rather...anatomical.  Were they really like that?  I suppose it someone was going to do that, it would be the Greekis, but spare us the armored codpiece.  :P

Yes, they were. Here are a few screen shots:

Kevin

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2013, 01:39:46 PM »
Well OK then!   :)
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2013, 03:23:27 PM »
BTW - welcome to the forum Enupnion!
"Art as expression, not as market campaigns
Will still capture our imaginations"
-Rush, Natural Science

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2013, 04:05:38 PM »
but spare us the armored codpiece.  :P

Yeaaaaaah, no worries of that.  Mainly because many Greek hoplites left the regions between the greaves and breastplate as, um, "untamed lands."  They figured if the shield was enough to protect the man-bits, why bother with a tunic.  Guess we know where they stood in the 'boxers vs briefs' arguments...

(Daniel is putting a tunic on all the Greeks, btw)

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2013, 10:27:22 AM »
Another picture, one of the aspsis shields used by the Persian Kardakes:

Wikipedia sums up the Persian Kardakes pretty well: 
The Cardaces (or kardakes) were a unit of the Persian Achaemenid army. They were formed some time before the Macedonian invasion as a professional heavy infantry unit, intended probably to supplement the Greek mercenaries the Persian armies became heavily dependent upon.

The Cardaces took part in the battles of Issus and Gaugamela, without much success.

There is much debate among the historians about the armament and mode of operation of the Cardaces.

In the game, the Kardakes will be:

Kardakes - 170 pts - Core
O:(6*)5*/5* D:2/1  Rge:n/a  Cge: 12  Mv:3.5"  4G/3Y/2R
Spears: (-1)-0/-0 when charging.  (+0)+1/+0 vs Large or cavalry.  (+0)+0/+2 vs when holding vs charging Large or Cavalry units.

It was the opinion of the design team that the Kardakes were almost certainly an attempt at a creating 'Persian hoplites.' We determined the Kardakes would have the large Greek hoplite shield (the aspis) and the spear (the dory), but be lightly armored as that was both the trend of hoplites of the era but also due tot he relative warmth of several parts of the Ancient Near East.  However, we determined that they lacked the ability to fight in depth and the esprit de corps that were the hallmarks of phalanxes, and so we represented them as more traditional spearmen.

Chad_YMG

• Administrator
    • Your Move Games
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2013, 02:58:11 PM »
I love how the Greek army designed their equipment to make authentic 21st century movies about them more marketable.
David Humphrey está todavía en la Colina 217.
      - From Spanish translation of Hill 218 rules

ZiNOS

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2013, 09:25:20 AM »
Sorry for not contacting earlier. Just got fired on Friday, looking for a job now :)

The Kopis looks excellent!

And about the man bits hanging around, actually the idea was that it was heroic to fight naked, so they depicted the heroes naked (and barefoot) on the drawings. They were not actually like this.  :)

And believe me, you do not want to walk naked and barefoot in Greece. Too many rocks, thornbushes, and stuff for your body.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 09:26:56 AM by ZiNOS »
DON'T PANIC <-------In Large Friendly Letters

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2013, 06:01:09 PM »
I know its been awhile since the last update, but there has been a lot of activity.  Most of it has been that unglamorous learning curve type of activity where you do a lot of work with little to show for it.

Currently, Daniel and I are working very closely on getting the poses and dimensions right.  So far, the Companion Cavalry & the Thessalian Cavalry are finished and the Sarissaphoroi are being touched up as we speak.  I just sent Daniel some notes on the Allied Greek Cavalry.  I wouldn't be surprised if he's finished with them by tomorrow.  That's a quarter of the faction done.

Why is that impressive?  Well, because 4 days ago, the only thing we had approved was the Companion Cavalry.  I think it's pretty impressive to go from one unit to four units in less than a week.  I think he's banging out all the cavalry at once, so we may switch to Persian cavalry units after this, I don't know.

Obviously, the pace will slow down a bit when he starts working on a new unit type.  We have phalanxes, skirmishers, normal infantry, and medium infantry (think HE Rangers), and each one of these requires some time on the learning curve.  But once we get that out, the units seem to fly out to completion.

If I can get Chad's approval, I'll post one or two of the images we have.  (Chad:  hint, hint)

Chad_YMG

• Administrator
    • Your Move Games
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2013, 10:13:30 AM »
Go for it!  :)
David Humphrey está todavía en la Colina 217.
      - From Spanish translation of Hill 218 rules

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2013, 11:54:47 AM »
Here's the art that'll go on the back of the card:

Obviously this is way blown up for you guys to take a look.  The actual size will be something like:

And here's a rough version of the front of the unit (the top down view):

Mind you these are just images provided to me as jpegs so I can comment & approve.  When Daniel hands them over to Kaille, she'll work some more graphic design magic to produce the final artwork for the cards.

One thing I tried very hard to do is give every unit a different color as its theme.  Companions have yellow cloaks, Thessalians have red cloaks, Sarissaphoroi will have blue, Persian Cavalry will have purple, Satrapal Cavalry will have a russet orange, etc.  The idea is that each unit will have a dominant color or shield design (be they cavalry or infantry), so that both players can identify the different units from across the table.  Once people have played a few times, they will know that Kardakes are blue and Sparabara are yellow, and so on.

leemie

• Playtester
    • my fan made stuff
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2013, 01:04:55 PM »
Very nice! I'm excited for the release.

iamJMAN00793

• Playtester
  • This is Sparta!
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2013, 08:43:18 PM »
Looking good guys. I'm really excited for this release.
Every man dies. Not every man really lives. ~ Braveheart

Kevin

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2013, 07:37:16 AM »
Very nice.

BTW, I'd suggest encouraging Kaile to do the stat boxes for the units sooner rather than later.  (The one you just posted is obviously using a recycled stat box.) Then proofread very carefully, multiple times for errors.  (I found/corrected a few stat box typos in Wuxing, and as we know a stat box error slipped through in both Carthage and Dark Elves.)