Author Topic: Alexander vs Persia: an update  (Read 38141 times)

Hannibal

• Administrator
Alexander vs Persia: an update
« on: July 16, 2012, 07:51:19 PM »
First, the bad news that many of you know or have guessed:  the artwork development for Alexander & Persia has hit some serious roadblocks that have delayed its publication.  I can't speak beyond that, because that is the extent of my knowledge on the subject.

However, with the bad news comes good news.  We have decided to see this extra time that is afforded Alexander vs Persia to partially reopen development of those two factions.  Why, you may ask?  To make them even better!  I'm a better BGFW player and designer than I was three years ago, and I'm sure I speak for the rest of the team as well.  And while I'm proud of the work we did and the product could go out as is, there are a few units and command cards that would benefit from taking a fresh look at them.

Zinos, the original project lead for Alexander vs Persia, has unfortunately become too busy and so Chad has asked me to head up this effort.  My goal is to stay true as possible to the original vision Zinos, myself, and the others crafted when we designed these factions.

Soon I will be creating a sub-forum for Alexander vs Persia, similar to the Wuxing forums.  I think Kevin is really onto something with the semi-open development process so that even forum guests can see progress without having to see the ugly side of the sausage-making.  This forum will automatically be open to any playtesters, should they wish to participate.

As a little bit more silver lining, Chad has tentatively agreed to another Classical era historical faction:  Greek mercenaries!  Tentatively named BGHW: The King's Peace 404 - 356 BC (Greek City-States), this is a single faction set of historical Greek units from the end of the Peloponnesean War until the rise of Macedon.  This faction will  be a mercenary faction like Monsters & Mercenaries.  Other armies will be able to field individual units of Spartan Hoplites, Thracian Cavalry, and Rhodian Slingers, but also this faction will be able to be fielded as its own force, representing an alliance of various Greek city-states.

Finally, I'll leave you with a little teaser of the Macedonian pike phalanx, the Foot Companions:

Foot Companions - Core - 286 pts
O:(8*)5*/5*  D:3/1   Cge: 12*  Mv: 3.5"  8G/3Y/3R
Phalanx. O:(-1) -0/-0 while Charging. O:(+0) +1/+0 vs. Cavalry and/or Large units. O:(+0) +0/+2 while Holding vs. Charging Cavalry and/or Charging Large units.

O:(-1) -0/-0 if in MC affecting terrain (cumulative with other penalties).  O:(-2) -0/-0 penalty if attacking to flank/rear (cumulative with other penalties).   If on Close or Hold with Terrain Objective, takes 2 CAs to change standing order or Direct Control. 

To play a Red Command Card on this unit, you must first discard a Command Card.   [Edit:  forgot to add this the first time, good catch, Kevin!]

+1 Cge if a side center-point is within 1.25" of the side center-point of a Foot Companion unit that is not routing, not in MC-penalizing terrain, and not engaged on the side/rear.

This is a Colossal-sized card.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 10:34:09 AM by Hannibal »

Kevin

Re: Alexander vs Persia: an update
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 08:27:12 PM »
FCs also became pitch-to-play on cards while attacking, yes?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 06:21:15 AM by Kevin »
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 09:30:19 AM »
I think Kevin is really onto something with the semi-open development process so that even forum guests can see progress without having to see the ugly side of the sausage-making.
I'm all about the ugly side of the sausage making.

This is good news!
"We are young wandering the face of the Earth
Wondering what our dreams might be worth
Learning that we're only immortal for a limited time"
-Rush, Dreamline

gull2112

• From the RUSH faction
    • Meditations on Brain Injury
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 10:14:46 AM »
So am I as different playtest groups can have very different styles and experiences. You get away from the whole "We always do it like this" thing.
"Rules are only as good as the book they're bound in."
http://gullsbattleground.blogspot.com/

Mexico

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 01:27:57 PM »
I suppose I'm game if the rest of you are!

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 12:05:50 AM »
An update and some Very Good News:

Update:  Those of you paying attention to the sub-forum know that development of Alexander and Persia has advanced steadily.  I'm personally very proud of the current state of affairs, but haven't closed development yet because I'd like to invite anyone who wishes to test them out and provide feedback to do so.  However, the window of opportunity to do that will soon be closing because...

Very Good News:  Your Move Games has partnered with Enupnion, to design the CGI models needed to make Alexander and Persia a reality! 

Currently Enupnion is working on the models for period clothes, armor, equipment, and weapons.  This has been the major holdup, because there isn't a great variety of historical CGI models.  Once these are done we can get down to the work of creating the units and making this release a reality.

As a final teaser, here a couple of works-in-progress:

Rhomphaia:  a two-handed sword used by the Thracians

Kopis:  the cavalry saber used by Greek cavalry

Kevin

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 08:37:01 AM »
Huzzah!

Which side of the Rhomphaia was used in cutting?  The outside (convex side) or inside (concave side) of the blade?
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

gull2112

• From the RUSH faction
    • Meditations on Brain Injury
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 09:51:43 AM »
Excellent, I for one, am very excited to see the results. I have a few friends that are on the fence about trying the game out, mainly because they are minis buffs, so physical presentation is central, and good art-work closes that gap.

Way to go!
"Rules are only as good as the book they're bound in."
http://gullsbattleground.blogspot.com/

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 10:41:15 AM »
Which side of the Rhomphaia was used in cutting?  The outside (convex side) or inside (concave side) of the blade?

Concave.  It's a sickle-like weapon.  The point could also be used for thrusting.

For those who don't know the Rhomphaia is used by the Thracian Peltasts, a Core unit in the Alexander faction.  Their stats are nearly identical to Carthage's Caetrati, except that they are (3)5/5 when engaged, due to the Rhomphaia.  The extra Pow is granted by this beast of a blade you see above.  And it makes Thracian Peltasts pretty scary dudes:  they'll mulch most other skirmishers and if they get on a flank can do some decent damage.

Excellent, I for one, am very excited to see the results. I have a few friends that are on the fence about trying the game out, mainly because they are minis buffs, so physical presentation is central, and good art-work closes that gap.

Way to go!

Yes, Daniel from Enupnion is really talented and has been a true professional to work with.  He's said he'll get the CGI models done in two weeks, which would be pretty astounding.

leemie

• my fan made stuff
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 05:26:54 PM »
From what I gather artwork has been the limiting factor on getting out more factions. Will Enupnion be working on other sets as well?

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 05:17:21 PM »
From what I gather artwork has been the limiting factor on getting out more factions. Will Enupnion be working on other sets as well?

That's certainly the hope.  Enupnion's role has expanded from just doing the CGI models to doing the CGI models and then doing all the artwork for Alexander & Persia.  I've talked with Daniel about further projects and he seems interested. 

Oh and here's your Friday teaser:

All the equipment models ready for texturing.  They are all correctly sized for the human models that will be used (and to each other).  A much bigger picture here.

Left to right, they are: 
"violin" shield (used by Immortals and Royal Guard)
spara shield (used by Persian Sparabara)
pelte/taka shield (used by Greek peltasts and Persian Takabara)
Hoplite shield (inside)
Corinthean helmet
Hoplite shield (outside)
Sagis axe (used by most Persians)
Rhomphaia
Kopis saber
Javelin
Persian spear (note the rounded butt on the bottom)
Greek Hoplite spear (note the butt-spike)
Macedonian Xyston (used by the Companion Cavalry and Sarrisophoroi)
Macedonian Sarissa (used by the famed Foot Companion pikemen)

ZiNOS

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 09:32:58 AM »
Persian Spear with a round butt at the bottom, calles an apple by the Greeks, thus they were called Milophori (apple bearers).

What was the dimension of the Sarissa that was used for the modelling? (note: the sarissa continued to grow in size up until after the succesors wars. It stopped being used as a weapon after the defeat of Pirros of Ipiros by the Romans IIRC).
DON'T PANIC <-------In Large Friendly Letters

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 10:05:19 AM »
Well, the Xyston lance (to the left of the Sarissa) is 12 feet long and the Dory (to the left of the Xyston) is 10 feet.  So the difference between the Xyston and Dory is 2 feet, and the difference between the Xyston and Sarissa appears to be more than the difference than that Dory and the Xyston. 

So I'd wager a guess that the Sarissa is about 15 ft.

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, 07:53:49 PM »
More pictures! 

Daniel finished texturing the greaves and muscle cuirass equipment.

Just about any non-Persian model with a Toughness 2 will wear the greaves and either this cuirass or a linothorax.

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 01:05:32 PM »
Another textured image:

The Kopis, a cavalry saber used by Greeks (and sometimes Persian cavalry).