Author Topic: New Command Cards  (Read 11091 times)

craniac

Re: New Command Cards
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2013, 01:17:35 AM »
Print on demand would be just fine.  If you threw in the latest ruleset with integrated errata I'd be in heaven.  If the game ever ceases to be financially viable I hope you'll creative commons it so it'll survive in some form.

iamJMAN00793

• This is Sparta!
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2013, 10:40:54 PM »
I have a question about the revised Hawkshold "The Plan" card. I am not sure what change this has on the game. I can already circle bravery on one of my units for a command point. Why would I waste a card on it? I may be missing something, and if so sorry.
Every man dies. Not every man really lives. ~ Braveheart

Kevin

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2013, 07:33:50 AM »
I have a question about the revised Hawkshold "The Plan" card. I am not sure what change this has on the game. I can already circle bravery on one of my units for a command point. Why would I waste a card on it? I may be missing something, and if so sorry.

Without the Bravery option, "The Plan" sometimes would be a "dead card".  For example, if you draw it after the lines have hit and everyone is engaged and unmodified Close is as good as anything, the only use of the card would be as a lucky pitch with "Follow Through" or "Roll with the Blow."

The Bravery option allows you at least not to waste the command action.  We could have said "or draw a card" instead, but "mark Bravery" seemed more flavorful.
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

Chad_YMG

• Administrator
    • Your Move Games
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2013, 08:08:55 AM »

What Kevin said.  I didn't like this change, mainly because I think The Plan is one of the most powerful CCs in the game so I was willing to live with the very rare chance that it would be dead.  Ironically, this actually came up in the second round of the Championship and I used it to give a unit a courage circle.
David Humphrey está todavía en la Colina 217.
      - From Spanish translation of Hill 218 rules

iamJMAN00793

• This is Sparta!
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2013, 09:15:40 AM »
So can I use it on an opponents turn to circle bravery?
Every man dies. Not every man really lives. ~ Braveheart

Niko White

• Celestial Guard
  • A tíro nin, Fanuilos!
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2013, 12:54:15 PM »

It still gives you Command Actions, which you can then use to circle Bravery.  You can't have CA's on an opponent's turn, so no.

Kevin

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2013, 02:52:46 PM »
Agreed with Niko, but for a different reason:  the card reads, "Play during your Movement and Command Phase..."
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2013, 02:57:08 PM »
It still gives you Command Actions, which you can then use to circle Bravery.  You can't have CA's on an opponent's turn, so no.

Technically it says: 

Play during your Movement and Command Phase. Choose one:

Gain four Command Actions. Spend these actions only to change standing orders.

Mark Bravery on one of your units.

No mention of Command Actions in there.  As Kevin pointed out it's moot, but if there's a subplot in a tournament or something like that which affects CAs, that might be relevant.

Niko White

• Celestial Guard
  • A tíro nin, Fanuilos!
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2013, 06:25:26 PM »
I hate when wordings change and make me look dumb :p

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2013, 11:27:06 PM »
Could we get the google doc here updated with some of the older card errata?  The Hardened for the first three factions and the two Ravenwood cards.  That way this is one master list of updates.

Kevin

« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2013, 08:39:27 AM »
Could we get the google doc here updated with some of the older card errata?  The Hardened for the first three factions and the two Ravenwood cards.  That way this is one master list of updates.

I can do that within a week.

Joe Kundlak

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2015, 04:48:03 AM »
Until a real-world decision is made reg. the Command cards, I could knock out a PDF in Inkscape with just the labels (text-box sized to fit the respective card) with a plain background, if you guys want...

That way those could be printed on full-page sticker paper, cut to size and pasted onto the individual cards (of course sleeved cards would need to be used), so as to retain the shuffling possibility. And you would also retain the card graphics (except the semi-transparent text box background - but still better than the plain text replacement).

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2015, 08:36:11 AM »
Good thinking there joeyeti!
"Chase the Sun around the World I want to look at life
In the available light"
-Rush, Available Light

Joe Kundlak

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2015, 01:24:00 PM »
Started work on the card paste-ups, coming along nicely. Only hampering thing is I cannot install the original font onto my own computer, so always have to wait till I get hom to see the correct positioning... but that will only be a small part in the whole layout, so the majority of copy-pasting will be done as usual anyway. I might not make it this week as on Thursday we make a short trip till Sunday, but on Monday/Tuesday I could be ready with this (i.e. the first version, pending review from kind folk).

Joe Kundlak

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2016, 07:59:26 PM »
1 year later I managed to find enough time to finish this work :)
Miraculously it fits onto a single page. A4 is ok, Letter is a bit cramped, but should still be printable at 100% without anything being chopped off.

There are two sets - A4 front + A4 back and Letter front + Letter back.

The fronts have borders (and crop marks) for easy cutting, while the backs do not have any lines. The idea is that you print the front + back on a double-sided sheet of paper, cut it all out and the back side will always tell you which card the text on the front is for (as the card names are not printed on the front). Then just slide it into a sleeve with the Command Card... Or better, print the front on a sticker sheet and stick it onto the card (being played in sleeves). I don't think the difference in thickness will be noticeable while in sleeves.

Links to the PDF files:
A4 front - https://app.box.com/s/89t6rxtaundglaon2hhxdpoqidbnh3mb
A4 back - https://app.box.com/s/4uet06eyhlkd8t9ghra4pwmkguwj9oyj
Letter front - https://app.box.com/s/vqokjvuoi38fi1kv69cugwtbg9agvc4b
Letter back - https://app.box.com/s/eugiejlpl3xzaylydxfbmcv8uk9mavqn

Screenshot example:
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 08:02:15 PM by joeyeti »