Author Topic: The Karth  (Read 2852 times)

Jatha

The Karth
« on: May 19, 2012, 02:46:25 PM »
Hey Guys! So after a long leave of absence, I've finally come aback to Battlegrounds. My college semester is wrapping up, leaving me with lots of free time to play Battlegrounds over the summer. Anyways, it seems like Battlegrounds has come a long way since I was here last, and I have decided to update my fan-faction for your consideration. I've tried to cut out all the silly stuff from the Karth, and focus on how I want the faction to play out in practice. Also, if someone could assist me with pricing my units properly, that would make play testing these guys much, much easier. I am also looking for suggestions for new unit types. In any case, please leave comments on how to improve this faction in general.

The Karth are Catfolk, a race of humanoids with cat-like traits. the race is separated into three distinct clans or tribes, each of which have very distinct play styles. In essence, I tried to capture the feeling that you where using not just one, but three different sub-factions. I also played around with the idea of certain Command Cards giving special bonuses to a specific unit or unit type (in this case, the different clans) as opposed to a generic buff (I'm not against generic buffs, I just wanted to try out a new style of CC).

Izra-
Standing 8 feet at the shoulder with a powerful jaw that sports two large sets of fangs, the Izra are perhaps the most intimidating of the three clans.

Joto-
While not as impressive as the Izra in either size or strength, a Joto nevertheless poses a formidable threat both on and off the battlefield. Perhaps the most "civilized"  of the clans, the Joto to date are the only ones to establish anything remotely resembling an ordered society.

Meni-   
As the smallest of the clans, clocking in at less than four feet tall standing on their hind legs, the Meni are quite easy to overlook, and in truth that is how they prefer it.

Command Cards

Battle Bred (2):
Play on a unit that is not Charging or being Charged. Your unit gains +1/+1. If the unit is Joto, gain an additional +0/+1.

Strength of the Tiger (2)
Play when one of your units attacks. Your unit gains (+0) +0/+2. If the unit is Izra, gain an additional (+1) +0/+0.

Quick Blade (2)
Play when one of your units attacks. Your unit gains (+0) +2/+0. If the unit is Meni, the opponent may not play a command card this attack.

Feast on the Fallen. (2)
Play during your movement and command phase. All Non-large, Non-Colossal units engaged or that become engaged with your unit must take a terror check. Heal one damage. If your unit is Feral, Heal one additional damage.
You may not play Feast on the Fallen multiple times on the same unit in the same turn.

The Thrill of the Chase (2)
Play when an enemy unit routs. You unit gains (+1) +1/+1 on its free attack.
OR
Play during the movement and command phase. Your unit gains +1 MC this turn.

Fation Abilities

Preferred Commander:

After army selection and placement, but before the first turn, count up all the points of each of the three clans. The clan with the most points is your army's "favored clan" and all units belonging to this clan may be Direct Controlled for free. All other units not belonging to this clan cost two Command Actions to Direct Control.

Izra: +2 courage while engaged
Joto: (+1) +0/+0 while engaged with non-large, non-cavalry units
Meni: +1/+0 vs. ranged attacks

Blood Scent: You may spend one command action to mark a unit's Blood Scent checkbox. Units that have this checkbox have +1 courage and final Rush at +1 MC.  If the unit routs, you may erase the mark to rally the unit.

Feral: whenever a Feral unit fails a rout check, before an enemy’s free attack, roll a (3) 7/7 attack against each enemy unit engaged with your feral unit. This attack is not affected by command cards or unit casualties, and does not cause rout checks. After this attack, your unit routs at
-2/-0

UNITS

Camp Guards: 4G/3Y/3R – Core - 182
(5) 5/5   2/2   Rng-   Crg 11   3.5”
Blood Scent
Equipment: Varies
When it comes to guarding Kit and Kin, every clan has its share of volunteers

Izra Warriors - 4G/4Y/2R - Core - 224
(5) 5/6   1/3   Rng-   Crg 10*   MC 3.5”   
Blood Scent
+2 courage while engaged
Equipment: Various Two Handed Weapons, Hide Armor

Izra Spear Throwers - 4G/4Y/2R - 245
(5) 5/5*   1/3   Rng 7”   Crg 10*   MC 3.5”
Javelin
Blood Scent
(+0) +0/+1 while engaged
+2 courage while engaged
Equipment: Throwing Spears, Hide armor
Sometimes Karth forgo their claws and fangs for weapons with a little more reach.

Joto Hunters-3G/2Y/2R - Core - 230
(4) 5/5   1/2   Rng 14”   Crg 12   MC 3.5”
Blood Scent
(+1) +0/+0 while engaged with non-large, non-cavalry units
(-0) -1/-1 While engaged
Equipment: Bows, Claws, Hide armor

Joto Spearmen- 5G/1Y/3R - Core - 240
(6*) 5/5   2/2   Rng-   Crg 12   MC 3.5”
Blood Scent
(-1) -0/-0 while charging
(+0) +1/+0 vs. Cavalry and/or Large units.
(+0) +0/+2 while Holding vs. Charging Cavalry and/or Charging Large units
Equipment: Spear, Hide armor

Meni Stalkers - 3G/2Y/3R - 253
(4) 5/4   2*/0   Rng 3.5”   Crg 12   MC 6”
Javelin
Feral
Blood Scent
+1/+0 vs. ranged
(+1) +1/+1 attacking a Flank or Rear
(+2) +0/+0 vs. routing units
Equipment: Throwing Daggers, Loincloth
These Karth have perfected the art of ambushing their prey.

Meni Bow Warriors- 3G/2Y/2R - 247
(3) 6/5   2/1   Rng 10.5”   Crg 12   MC 3.5”
Blood Scent
+1/+0 vs. ranged
(+1) -1/-0 While engaged
Equipment: Yew Bow, Claws, Hide armor

Meni Battleclaws 3G/3Y/2R - Core - 222
(4) 6/5   3/1   Rng -   Crg 12   MC 3.5”
Feral
Blood Scent
+1/+0 vs. ranged
Equipment: Honed Claws, Hide Armor
There are no better weapons then the ones you were born with.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 09:48:16 PM by Jatha »

gull2112

• From the RUSH faction
    • Meditations on Brain Injury
Re: The Karth
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 04:49:13 PM »
Excellent faction! It would be fun to play. I think some of the bonuses would change with playtesting, but that is to be expected. Make up some proxies and try it out.
"Rules are only as good as the book they're bound in."
http://gullsbattleground.blogspot.com/

Jatha

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 07:54:07 PM »
Woops, I goofed. I forgot to add design notes to the OP. Well, better late than never, I suppose.

The Karth are a Cat-like people (let the coarse jokes ensue) that are separated into three distienct clans or tribes, each of which have very distinct playstyles. In essence, I tried to capture the feeling that you where using not just one, but three different sub-factions. I also played around with the idea of certain Command Cards giving special bonuses to a specific unit or unit type (in this case, the different clans) as opposed to a generic buff (I'm not against generic buffs, I just wanted to try out a new style of CC).

Jatha

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 07:56:56 PM »
Excellent faction! It would be fun to play. I think some of the bonuses would change with playtesting, but that is to be expected. Make up some proxies and try it out.

Can you point out any bonuses in particuler? I tried to keep the abilities fairly balanced, but of course something might be way OP'd without my knowing.

gull2112

• From the RUSH faction
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 08:27:47 PM »
Predatory Instinct: You may spend one command action to mark a units Predatory Instinct checkbox. Before rolling to hit, you may erase the mark to grant the unit +(1) +0/+0, +(0) +1/+0, or (+0) +0/+1 this attack. This counts as playing a command card.

Feral: whenever a Feral unit fails a rout check, before an enemy’s free attack, roll a (3) 7/7 attack against each enemy unit engaged with your feral unit. This attack is not affected by command cards or unit casualties, and does not cause rout checks. After this attack, your unit routs at
-2/-0

Predatory instinct is too putsey IMHO. Pick one bonus and call it good. I would suggest (+0) +1/+0 as it feels most "predatory" as opposed to say frenzied or vicious .

Feral: at least dial it back to (3)6/6 or (X)-1/-1 where X is its normal attack stat - (being in the yellow or red), this makes it an intruiging possibility vs. an out right reward for failure.

Jatha

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 09:26:45 PM »
Predatory Instinct: You may spend one command action to mark a units Predatory Instinct checkbox. Before rolling to hit, you may erase the mark to grant the unit +(1) +0/+0, +(0) +1/+0, or (+0) +0/+1 this attack. This counts as playing a command card.

Predatory instinct is too putsey IMHO. Pick one bonus and call it good. I would suggest (+0) +1/+0 as it feels most "predatory" as opposed to say frenzied or vicious .

The idea behind this ability to to give the player some adaptability to the situation. While a choice the between all three attack stats may be too much, I think there should still be an either/or mechanic to the ability.

How about changing Predatory instinct to this:

You may spend one command action to mark a units Predatory Instinct checkbox. Before rolling to hit, you may erase the mark to grant the unit +(0) +1/+0 or +(0) +0/+1 this attack. This counts as playing a command card

Feral: whenever a Feral unit fails a rout check, before an enemy’s free attack, roll a (3) 7/7 attack against each enemy unit engaged with your feral unit. This attack is not affected by command cards or unit casualties, and does not cause rout checks. After this attack, your unit routs at -2/-0

Feral: at least dial it back to (3)6/6 or (X)-1/-1 where X is its normal attack stat - (being in the yellow or red), this makes it an intruiging possibility vs. an out right reward for failure.

I would argue that an attack skill/power of 7/7 is balanced, seeing how it doesn't cause rout checks. Granted, having three dice on the attack may be a bit much, but on the other hand, thanks the -2/0 defense skill while routing, the unit is nealy guaranteed to be wiped out, whereas in a normal rout scenario you at least have a chance of recovering the unit.

gull2112

• From the RUSH faction
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 02:01:35 PM »
Fair enough, we'd just have to see what playtesting reveals. :)

Jatha

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 10:17:04 PM »
Made a few changes to the faction:

Changed the Checkbox from:

To:

Blood Scent: You may spend one command action to mark a unit's Blood Scent checkbox. Units that have this checkbox have +1 courage and final Rush at 5".  If the unit routs, you may erase the mark to rally the unit.

Also

All Meni except Meni Stalkers have had their (+1) +1/+1 bonus attacking Enemy units flanks and rears removed.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 10:26:25 PM by Jatha »

Jatha

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 11:55:14 AM »
Changelog: Removed Herd Guards

Herd Guards- 4G/2Y/3R
(5) 5/6   1/2   Rng-   Crg 10*   MC 5”
Izra
Blood Scent

Added Camp Guards

Camp Guards: 4G/4Y/4R - Core
(5) 5/5   2/2   Rng-   Crg 11   3.5”
Blood Scent

A Basic Swordsmen unit, this is intended to be the player's primary damage tank. Notice the lack of clan affiliation.

Reduced Irza Units courage.

Added some VERY experimental point values to the units.

If anyone has any feedback concerning unit cost, please let me know. I'm really just spitballing here.

gull2112

• From the RUSH faction
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 02:09:14 PM »
Excellent mods! Blood scent FR of 5" is brilliant, I really like the way this provides a different feel to the faction. The Meni stalkers now feel unique and very desirable. excellent adjustments. Proxy ready I'd say. Mainly I say this because the faction has a very unique and cool feel to it without being overburdened with special rules or exagerated bonuses and/or stats.

Jatha

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 03:00:53 PM »
Excellent mods! Blood scent FR of 5" is brilliant, I really like the way this provides a different feel to the faction. The Meni stalkers now feel unique and very desirable. excellent adjustments. Proxy ready I'd say. Mainly I say this because the faction has a very unique and cool feel to it without being overburdened with special rules or exagerated bonuses and/or stats.

Thanks! I too am very happy with the adjustments. BTW, thanks for calling me out on Predatory Instinct; you were 100% correct. I ran several one-on-one tests using Joto Spearmen (Spearcats?) vs. Hawk Spearmen, giving each one one command action towards thier respctive abilities (Predatory Instinct, Bravery) with the assumption that both units were charging and had no CC. I discovered that, although the Joto had more dice on the charge and during post-charge combat, the battle was fairly balanced due to the Hawks Bravery, which allowed them to grind down the Joto, with a slight win/loss in the Joto's favor. However, I soon realized that there was little point in saving my Predatory Instinct mark for after the charge when I could just erase the mark and gain an addtional (+0) +1/+0 to Hit/Damage on 4s, which is not how I wanted the ability to feel.

Jatha

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 09:50:04 PM »
Hey Guys! So after a long leave of absence, I've finally come aback to Battlegrounds. My college semester is wrapping up, leaving me with lots of free time to play Battlegrounds over the summer. Anyways, it seems like Battlegrounds has come a long way since I was here last, and I have decided to update my fan-faction for your consideration. I've tried to cut out all the silly stuff from the Karth, and focus on how I want the faction to play out in practice. Also, if someone could assist me with pricing my units properly, that would make play testing these guys much, much easier. I am also looking for suggestions for new unit types. In any case, please leave comments on how to improve this faction in general.

The Karth are Catfolk, a race of humanoids with cat-like traits. the race is separated into three distinct clans or tribes, each of which have very distinct play styles. In essence, I tried to capture the feeling that you where using not just one, but three different sub-factions. I also played around with the idea of certain Command Cards giving special bonuses to a specific unit or unit type (in this case, the different clans) as opposed to a generic buff (I'm not against generic buffs, I just wanted to try out a new style of CC).

Izra-
Standing 8 feet at the shoulder with a powerful jaw that sports two large sets of fangs, the Izra are perhaps the most intimidating of the three clans.

Joto-
While not as impressive as the Izra in either size or strength, a Joto nevertheless poses a formidable threat both on and off the battlefield. Perhaps the most "civilized"  of the clans, the Joto to date are the only ones to establish anything remotely resembling an ordered society.

Meni-   
As the smallest of the clans, clocking in at less than four feet tall standing on their hind legs, the Meni are quite easy to overlook, and in truth that is how they prefer it.

Command Cards

Battle Bred (2):
Play on a unit that is not Charging or being Charged. Your unit gains +1/+1. If the unit is Joto, gain an additional +0/+1.

Strength of the Tiger (2)
Play when one of your units attacks. Your unit gains (+0) +0/+2. If the unit is Izra, gain an additional (+1) +0/+0.

Quick Blade (2)
Play when one of your units attacks. Your unit gains (+0) +2/+0. If the unit is Meni, the opponent may not play a command card this attack.

Feast on the Fallen. (2)
Play during your movement and command phase. All Non-large, Non-Colossal units engaged or that become engaged with your unit must take a terror check. Heal one damage. If your unit is Feral, Heal one additional damage.
You may not play Feast on the Fallen multiple times on the same unit in the same turn.

The Thrill of the Chase (2)
Play when an enemy unit routs. You unit gains (+1) +1/+1 on its free attack.
OR
Play during the movement and command phase. Your unit gains +1 MC this turn.

Fation Abilities

Preferred Commander:

After army selection and placement, but before the first turn, count up all the points of each of the three clans. The clan with the most points is your army's "favored clan" and all units belonging to this clan may be Direct Controlled for free. All other units not belonging to this clan cost two Command Actions to Direct Control.

Izra: +2 courage while engaged
Joto: (+1) +0/+0 while engaged with non-large, non-cavalry units
Meni: +1/+0 vs. ranged attacks

Blood Scent: You may spend one command action to mark a unit's Blood Scent checkbox. Units that have this checkbox have +1 courage and final Rush at +1 MC.  If the unit routs, you may erase the mark to rally the unit.

-2/-0

UNITS

Camp Guards: 4G/3Y/3R – Core - 182
(5) 5/5   2/2   Rng-   Crg 11   3.5”
Blood Scent
Equipment: Varies
When it comes to guarding Kit and Kin, every clan has its share of volunteers

Izra Warriors - 4G/4Y/2R - Core - 224
(5) 5/6   1/3   Rng-   Crg 10*   MC 3.5”   
Blood Scent
+2 courage while engaged
Equipment: Various Two Handed Weapons, Hide Armor

Izra Spear Throwers - 4G/4Y/2R - 245
(5) 5/5*   1/3   Rng 7”   Crg 10*   MC 3.5”
Javelin
Blood Scent
(+0) +0/+1 while engaged
+2 courage while engaged
Equipment: Throwing Spears, Hide armor
Sometimes Karth forgo their claws and fangs for weapons with a little more reach.

Joto Hunters-3G/2Y/2R - Core - 230
(4) 5/5   1/2   Rng 14”   Crg 12   MC 3.5”
Blood Scent
(-0) -1/-1 While engaged
Equipment: Bows, Claws, Hide armor

Joto Spearmen- 5G/1Y/3R - Core - 240
(6*) 5/5   2/2   Rng-   Crg 12   MC 3.5”
Blood Scent
(-1) -0/-0 while charging
(+0) +1/+0 vs. Cavalry and/or Large units.
(+0) +0/+2 while Holding vs. Charging Cavalry and/or Charging Large units
Equipment: Spear, Hide armor

Meni Stalkers - 3G/2Y/3R - 253
(4) 5/4   2*/0   Rng 3.5”   Crg 12   MC 6”
Javelin
Feral
Blood Scent
+1/+0 vs. ranged
(+1) +1/+1 attacking a Flank or Rear
(+2) +0/+0 vs. routing units
Equipment: Throwing Daggers, Loincloth
These Karth have perfected the art of ambushing their prey.

Meni Bow Warriors- 3G/2Y/2R - 247
(3) 6/5   2/1   Rng 10.5”   Crg 12   MC 3.5”
Blood Scent
+1/+0 vs. ranged
(+1) -1/-0 While engaged
Equipment: Yew Bow, Claws, Hide armor

Meni Battleclaws 3G/3Y/2R - Core - 222
(4) 6/5   3/1   Rng -   Crg 12   MC 3.5”
Feral
Blood Scent
+1/+0 vs. ranged
Equipment: Honed Claws, Hide Armor
There are no better weapons then the ones you were born with.

gull2112

• From the RUSH faction
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2014, 07:13:59 PM »

Yeah, that's way too much. I say 1 CA that can be used only to direct control or change orders for one of that clan's units. Even then it might be too much. Maybe instead say, "If you discard a Command Card, gain 1 CA that can be used only to direct control or change orders for one of that clan's units. Drop the penalty on the other units. Otherwise it forces strange builds to try and form a mostly one clan build.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 07:16:00 PM by gull2112 »