Author Topic: New Special Condition - Winter War!  (Read 1792 times)

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
New Special Condition - Winter War!
« on: October 17, 2011, 09:44:14 AM »
Since that time of year will be upon us soon, I figured it would be nice to have a Winter War special condition.  This is mostly for flavor since the modifiers are based upon existing terrain and condition modifiers.  We're assuming a snow covered battlefield and we can also have an optional blizzard modifier as well for those hardcore folks.  I firgured it would also give Mike an excuse to cook up an all white map :)

Movement in Snow - All units move as though they are in wet ground or sand.  A unit moving in snow gets -1 MC, or -2 MC if it is Wheeled.

Terrain features

Ice Patch - All units move as though they are in shallow water*.  A unit moving on an ice patch gets -2 MC, or -1 MC if it is large (this is NOT in addition to snow movement). Colossal units ignore ice patches.  *Wheeled units cannot turn on the ice patch but must continue straight unless they are moving at -2 or less of their maximum movement class.

Snow Drift - Units moving through a snow drift move as though they are moving over very rough ground.  A unit moving through a snow drift gets -2 MC. Snow drifts are impassable to cavalry and/or wheeled units.

Frozen Body of Water/Icy Lake - All units on a frozen body of water move as though they are on an ice patch.  If a unit spends more than 3 turns on the frozen body of water (moving or not), the ice collapses and that unit is considered to be lost.  Flip the unit over and leave it on the map.  This flipped unit represents a hole in the ice.  No other unit can have more than 1 center point on a hole or they too are considered to be lost.  Large and Colossal units will automatically cause the ice to collapse if they spend 1 turn on the ice with 2 or more center points of the unit on the ice.  Large units move at -3 MC and Colossal units move at -2 MC through a frozen body of water.  

Thought process behind this terrain feature - Ever try swimming in armor?  Ever try swimming in armor in freezing water?  Yeah, you're dead.  I know there may be a few exceptions like Bear Packs or whatever, but I'm not claiming this is a perfect rule anyways ;)

Blizzard modifier (optional) - All ranged attacks suffer a (-0) -1/-0 penalty and are limited to a range of 7.  All flying units suffer a -2 Movement Class penalty.

Faction Limitations
I know penalizing specific factions for a weather condition is a bummer, but this really needs to be done to maintain any semblance of realism.

Umenzi - All Umenzi units begin the game with 1 red box checked off.  This damage can be healed.  Also, all non-leadership units suffer a -1 penalty to their morale.

Lizard Men - Sorry folks, but Lizard Men cannot participate in Winter War activities because they are cold blooded.  They would die before battle was even joined.  Thankfully, the non-dinosaur guys are smart enough to not venture into Hawkshold or Runegard in the Winter time.

Edit: added italicized text to ice patch
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 03:05:13 PM by RushAss »
"Chase the Sun around the World I want to look at life
In the available light"
-Rush, Available Light

Mexico

Re: New Special Condition - Winter War!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 11:38:56 AM »
How about this for a twist:

Fresh Snow: Deploy 3 winter terrain pieces face down. Only uncover them when a unit crosses one center point onto the terrain. Play continues as normal from there.

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 11:42:52 AM »
I really like this idea.  Maybe create a bad weather special situation card for each season, and instead of 3 possible results use the space to describe how it affects terrain and effects that always happen.

Kevin

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 02:16:38 PM »
I like this.  Not sure is "Special Condition" is the correct phrase to describe it, as it's a much bigger deal than other "special conditions."  But that's no reason to discard it.
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill