Author Topic: Army list 2000pts.  (Read 27971 times)

gull2112

• Administrator
  • From the RUSH faction
    • Meditations on Brain Injury
Army list 2000pts.
« on: April 11, 2008, 08:18:25 PM »
Okay, so I'll start this thread. Post your 2000 point army list with any explanation you care to add.
"Rules are only as good as the book they're bound in."
http://gullsbattleground.blogspot.com/

andrewgr

Re: Army list 2000pts.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 08:33:14 PM »
Hmmm.

Some variation of the following army has won all 3 Sword Tournaments sponsored by YMG to date:

Andrew's Undead Tournament Army
----------------------------------

2 x Giant Catapult     = 1020
2 x Abominations       = 306
2 x Skeleton Bowmen = 300
4 x Zombies             = 360
                                ----
Army                      = 1986

Note that the exact army composition varied as YMG changed rules.  For example, Abominations didn't start out as Elite, so I had 3 of them one year.

A pretty boring army to play, really.  It will be a little less effective with the current missile fire rules.

ApokalypseTest

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 12:17:28 AM »
my current high elves:

4 x Cygnets        708
2 x Battle Squad  374
1 x Spearman      334
2 x Bowriders      584

2000 P

Fairly certain that they lose against the above army.

jrod10

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 05:34:31 AM »
Here is the first Battleground army that I've created and the first 2000 point High Elf army that I've created.  Hope to use it today.

Archer x2
Cygnets x3
Elder-Blade Swordsmen x1
High Elf Battlesquad x2
High Elf Rangers
Command Card

Since I'm fairly new to the game, I plan to go with a standard strategy of a nice battleline supported by the archers.  The Rangers will run a flank to cause some havok.  Since I will most likely be outnumbered, I will spread the units a bit more, but not enough to allow pinching or maybe advance in a wedge.  I'm a long-time miniature wargamer and will use known tactics. 
Please feel free to comment on my army.

gull2112

• Administrator
  • From the RUSH faction
    • Meditations on Brain Injury
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 09:44:29 PM »
Great army Andrew! Not fancy, but now I've got an army to try and beat AND that can beat other armies besides that one. It's one thing to build an army to beat a specific army, it is another to build an army that can beat everything. I know it can't really be done, but the fun is in the trying.
"Rules are only as good as the book they're bound in."
http://gullsbattleground.blogspot.com/

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 02:41:00 PM »
Dwarven Stand and shoot

2 x Balista
2 x Bowmen
2 x Crossbowmen
2 x Spearmen
1 x command card
total = 1977 pts

I've played a version of this before I got the Dwarven reinforcements deck (1 balista only) and it was doing pretty well until my units started losing critical route rolls at an alarming rate.  I have not played this exact army yet.  While only a 4 unit front, the only units tha can get pinched are the spearmen on the outside and the pinching units would have to expend a lot of movement and endure bowfire (and maybe balista fire) to achieve it.  The short front also creates the possiblility of multiple enemy units being unable to engage it, making juicy targets for balista fire.  The objective of this army is to target the front line of the enemy army with ranged fire, and then switch the balistas to unengaged units once the the enemy front line engages with the crossbowmen and spearmen.  Hopefully any units engaging the crossbowmen will already be in the yellow by the time they get there as they would be facing fire from both the crossbowmen and the balistas.  The bowmen are there to support the spearmen.  Some basic command action stuff:

Turn 1 - Rune of Uruz on all 4 front line units
Turn 2 - Draw 4 cards
Turn 3 - switch targets of balistas from any engaged units to enemy rear units.

I think this is a reasonably strong S&S army.  Maybe not on the level of Andrew's Undead shooty army, but who's is?  My chief concern is the line units failing critical rout checks, but that's what the dwarven command cardd are for!  You can also do a similar thing with the Orcs and their Bomb Chuckers, but it wouldn't be as dependable.

"Art as expression, not as market campaigns
Will still capture our imaginations"
-Rush, Natural Science

Rashak Mani

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 01:31:51 AM »
For Orcs I like what I call a Hvy Infantry Army. I went overboard with Spearmen because that extra die makes it worth it.

1 Troll
1 Orc Marauder

3 Orc Spearmen
1 Orc Swordsman

1 Goblin Wolfrider (flank protection)

I try to keep the Troll and Orc Marauder on the same flank... or in the middle. I try to charge both on the same weak enemy unit in order to destroy it faster.That usually opens up the enemy line.

The spearmen tend to keep enemy cavalry at bay on the sides... and I keep backing up the Wolfriders in order to always present a pinching menace when eventually my flanks get engaged.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 08:59:19 AM »

I try to keep the Troll and Orc Marauder on the same flank... or in the middle. I try to charge both on the same weak enemy unit in order to destroy it faster.That usually opens up the enemy line.

You could also deploy the Troll on the outside in a slightly slower but brutally effective cavalry role since the rest of your line is so solid.
"Art as expression, not as market campaigns
Will still capture our imaginations"
-Rush, Natural Science

Torrg

• Playtester
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 05:19:02 PM »
For Umenzi at 2000 points I have tried 2 games with this army and did well against a Goblin/Troll force and barley lost to an Undead Army similar to Andrews in this thread. I hope to battle again this weekend with it.

4 Shamans
4 Umenzi Atlatlmen
6 Umenzi Javelineers
1 Command Card

Everyone can support each other and the 4 shamans ensure you can limit the effect of range until close enough for you to unlease a hailstorm. The first line is the javelineers with the Atlatlmen and shamans interspersed in the second rank. Even Atlatlmen at 4/4/4 become effective in HtH on a flank.
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
Robert A. Heinlein

andrewgr

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 05:51:11 PM »
For Umenzi at 2000 points I have tried 2 games with this army and did well against a Goblin/Troll force and barley lost to an Undead Army similar to Andrews in this thread. I hope to battle again this weekend with it.

4 Shamans
4 Umenzi Atlatlmen
6 Umenzi Javelineers
1 Command Card

Everyone can support each other and the 4 shamans ensure you can limit the effect of range until close enough for you to unlease a hailstorm. The first line is the javelineers with the Atlatlmen and shamans interspersed in the second rank. Even Atlatlmen at 4/4/4 become effective in HtH on a flank.

Interesting.

If I found myself up against this army with the Undead stand & shoot army, I'd be sorely tempted to concentrate all my fire on the Shamen.  I don't have the cards in front of me at work, so I can't do the math, but my instinct is that I should come pretty close to killing all 4 of them by the time the lines are engaged.  Even if I only kill 3, the 4th one can't really cover the whole line with his leadership range.  Those rout checks are going to be pretty painful with no leaders.

ApokalypseTest

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 11:45:06 PM »
I would assume that that is a rather optimistic assessment. If you don't concentrate fire you might wound all a bit, but not too much due to faith armor. If you concentrate fire they don't need to use all their heal and can curse your troops, effectively costing you 3 dice of your 12 as long as you concentrate on one.

Nonetheless - they stand hardly a chance even after your lines collide.

Torrg

• Playtester
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 09:58:46 AM »

4 Shamans
4 Umenzi Atlatlmen
6 Umenzi Javelineers
1 Command Card

Interesting.

If I found myself up against this army with the Undead stand & shoot army, I'd be sorely tempted to concentrate all my fire on the Shamen.  I don't have the cards in front of me at work, so I can't do the math, but my instinct is that I should come pretty close to killing all 4 of them by the time the lines are engaged.  Even if I only kill 3, the 4th one can't really cover the whole line with his leadership range.  Those rout checks are going to be pretty painful with no leaders.

Hi
My battles with this army has me place them at the back edge of the deployment zone, that way the Shamans are out of range of the Giants if you line up at the front of the deployment zone (which when I fought my friend with a similar undead army to yours he did), I was able to Faith Armor up all units and curse his range units before I even moved with maybe 3 damage to my Javilineers in the frirst rank. Then I "Sound the Charge" and had the shamans keep the curse on the giants and heal what I need (he did switch fire to the shamans at that pont). I did lose two shaman units before I closed and had failed a critical rout check in the middle front rank of my line that cause all sorts of havoc. I conceded the game when we had both lost about 1/2 our units and he was healing his Giant while taunting me with undead chants not suitable to be spoken in front of children.

On a different note I purchased the series "Malazan Book of the Fallen" and I am enjoying reading them after Andrews recomendation.
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
Robert A. Heinlein

Niko White

• Celestial Guard
  • Administrator
  • A tíro nin, Fanuilos!
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 10:16:25 AM »

I might be doing my math wrong, and it is of course prone to the fickle hand of fate, but I think you only get to kill two shamans before the lines meet.  The two remaining ones should be able to hit the full line with leadership.

Also, those Javelineers do significant damage on Zombies on the charge turn, to the tune of 3 damage -- I can see this one having a chance, though agreed the squishyness of the leaders is a concern.  I feel like if you're mostly concerned with the undead stand and shoot, you can do better than atlatls. 

ApokalypseTest

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 10:32:40 AM »
Yup,

the biggest problem is definitely the fact that the umenzi have more or less no strength 6 Units. The zombies and abominations are tough 3 and the giants 4 even.

The umezi deal hardly enough damage to beat their opponents in time. In addition to that, even with shamans the leadership is mediocre at best. Taking into account that half of the undead army is fearsome that poses a REAL problem.

Niko White

• Celestial Guard
  • Administrator
  • A tíro nin, Fanuilos!
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2008, 10:56:55 AM »

If you clear out the zombies, in my experience, you're usually fine if you have a few guys left to get through to the back row, though you need to have enough to pinch GCs.

And Berserkers, Chosen, and Worthy are all strength 6 -- the Umenzi have a lot easier time getting high strength than some armies.  Though Worthy are...meh.

Anyway, all their basic guys have str 6 if they're pinching, which is the hope if you can bring down some zombies.