Author Topic: The Conquest of Riverrun  (Read 2760 times)

elgin_j

• Playtester
The Conquest of Riverrun
« on: July 10, 2011, 07:49:19 AM »
I've been meaning to design my own campaign for a while now and finally got around to it last week.  This is untested at the moment but I plan to play it through with David (my erstwhile opponent) in August and thought you all might like to get sight of it in advance.  If anyone does play it please post some feedback.

In case you were wondering I've recently been watching, and reading, The Game of Thrones and liked the name of one of the locales to base this campaign on.

http://www.4shared.com/document/-clOd-Lw/THE_CONQUEST_OF_RIVERRUN.html
toodle pip

Kevin

Re: The Conquest of Riverrun
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 12:44:10 PM »
Let us know how it goes!

I'm curious as to whether the game will reach the end, or for that matter will reach the halfway point.  At first glance like if you lose battle #1 you end up restricted on your choice of units to field, and the opponent gets to pick terrain and a free card, putting you at a disadvantage for battle #2.  Then if you get thrashed in the battle #2 you won't be able to field an army of sufficient size for battle #3 so that one gets forfeited and you're not facing an nearly insurmountable point deficit, with battle #4 an uphill one like battle #2.  

But I could be wrong; looking forward to hearing how it plays out!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 12:46:30 PM by Kevin »
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

elgin_j

• Playtester
Re: The Conquest of Riverrun
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 01:10:39 PM »
At first glance like if you lose battle #1 you end up restricted on your choice of units to field, and the opponent gets to pick terrain and a free card, putting you at a disadvantage for battle #2.  

Perhaps I didn't write the campaign rules very clearly.  There's no reason why you'd be resticted in your choice of unit selection in battles significantly more than your opponent if you lose unless you get thrashed.  If you get thrashed consistently then you're doomed anyway. 

What I'm trying to do is introduce small bonuses for victory that won't allow the opponent to snowball their way to victory while introducing the friction of campaign attrition.  I welcome any suggestions.
toodle pip