Author Topic: New unit sizes  (Read 3409 times)

Shadow_Hawk2h

New unit sizes
« on: June 14, 2007, 12:52:42 PM »
Hello.
I was wondering. Since you have released a unit that takes two cards, would it be possible to create units, such as skirmishers, sleeves, forlorn hopes, whatever, that would take less than a whole card? For example two light units that might be printed together as a single card and then cut into two separate units(half L for small rectangular units, cohorts maybe? Half S for skirmishing missile units, slingers, javelin throwers perhaps?)? Would this pose any major problem concerning printing?

Another thing that I believe would be nice to have are more units with the front side being an S side instead of af an L side, like the Goblin Bomb-Chucker, monsters, maybe cavalry units too?

My guess is that it would add a lot of tactical possibilities to the game.

Chad_YMG

• Administrator
    • Your Move Games
Re: New unit sizes
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 02:12:45 PM »
Hi.

I have to admit, when I first read this post I was pretty sure that it was written by either Darwin or Robert (i.e. by someone on the Battleground development team) to mess with me.  Let me explain.

When we first developed Battleground, cavalry units were oriented so that their front was one of the short sides of their cards for precisely the reasons you give here.  Unfortunately it just causes too many practical problems because of the way we represent units being in combat.  That same problem applies to pretty much any unit that is expected to advance and fight -- we can get away with it with Bombchuckers and Ballistae because they don't.

We've also considered half-sized cards...in fact, one of our original thoughts for the Science Fiction/Modern Warfare version of Battleground would have used half-cards extensively.  There are a few problems with this, perhaps the main one being that the stat bar takes up too much space on a half-card.

So, basically...you've pretty much read our minds in terms of cool ideas but so far we've moved away from them in development.

Regards,
Chad
David Humphrey está todavía en la Colina 217.
      - From Spanish translation of Hill 218 rules

Kaile_YMG

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 10:31:31 AM »
And of course..... FOR THE LOVE OF ART! Leave me and the team of YMG artists lots of room to tantalize your visual senses.

*winces* Half cards..... say it won't be so!

Shadow_Hawk2h

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 11:21:14 AM »
/SIGH/...
What a pity then...
I realized that the stat bars would take a lot of space, but being small units they would be quite small too and the same would go for the art(way less soldiers per card, not ranked...). I had that idea when I saw the balista and thought it would be cool if I could have individual ones between my units(with reduced firepower and damage squares, of course).