Author Topic: Dwarves in a campaign  (Read 2329 times)

lazyj

• Playtester
Dwarves in a campaign
« on: May 23, 2011, 11:22:00 AM »
I was reading a couple of session reports and thinking about my own experience recently with Runeguard. There has been a lot of talk recently about slowness in general, and specifically how Dwarves in general seem to have problems when the field gets filled with Terrain.

I wonder if one of the solutions is to apply the "Dwarves get no penalty for moving through hills" rule to more terrain types? Would it break the game if Dwarves had no terrain movement penalties at any time? Obviously impassable terrain would remain that way, and maybe set it so Dwarves in any terrain couldn't sprint. But I wonder if it would make their low MC a little easier to handle if the terrain didn't significantly affect them.

Anyway, just throwing that out there for discussion. I certainly don't feel that Dwarves are in need of a massive fix to anything, so this is just me avoiding any actual work. ;)

gull2112

• Administrator
  • From the RUSH faction
    • Meditations on Brain Injury
Re: Dwarves in a campaign
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 08:56:08 PM »
I was thinking of responding with "How about everything but woods...Oh, and shallow water, but leave in brush and rough terrain..." at which point it is easier to leave as is or leave universal as you suggest. I'm inclined to go with your universal, kind of thinking they are like low gear on a tranny. Maybe saying that they ingnore the first -1 MC of terrain penalty.

BTW James, my weekend is full up. :'(
"Rules are only as good as the book they're bound in."
http://gullsbattleground.blogspot.com/

lazyj

• Playtester
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 09:20:55 PM »
Hey no worries. I forgot to mention I'll be in New Orleans anyway. No BG in the Big Easy...  ;)

I was thinking the only terrain that would affect them would be "impassable" and defensive structures (walls, hedges, stakes). It would go the other way too - no road bonuses for them either.

I'd be interested in trying this out sometime if you're up for it. Either of us can play the stumpy dudes and then we'll load up on a nasty terrain map and see what happens.

gull2112

• Administrator
  • From the RUSH faction
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 09:32:12 PM »
Sounds like fun, maybe I'll try my Demonologists.

BTW, my parents live in New Orleans, so say hi. ;)

gull2112

• Administrator
  • From the RUSH faction
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 09:35:18 PM »
Dwarves in a campaign...It kind of has a "Snakes on a plane" ring to it.

I think they should make a sequel to snakes on a plane and call it
 "Snakes on a Plane II:Non-Euclidean Snakes" ;)