Author Topic: "Stormy Weather" - hampers Spell Attacks?  (Read 2760 times)

lazyj

"Stormy Weather" - hampers Spell Attacks?
« on: April 18, 2011, 09:38:23 AM »
Mike and I recently played a Kingdoms scenario with "Stormy Weather" special condition. The exact wording escapes me, but it essentially said all Ranged Attacks are limited to 14" and Indirect Fire is treated as Direct Fire.

The question became: for ranged attacks that are treated as spells, does that special condition apply?

Ironically Mike said Yes (and thus nerfed his Dark Elf Army) while I said No (apparently asking for additional beatings). In the end, since it would only hurt him and not really affect me I let him have his way. But I wonder. I can see it applying both ways.

Niko White

• Celestial Guard
  • A tíro nin, Fanuilos!
Re: "Stormy Weather" - hampers Spell Attacks?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 03:12:41 PM »
Mike and I recently played a Kingdoms scenario with "Stormy Weather" special condition. The exact wording escapes me, but it essentially said all Ranged Attacks are limited to 14" and Indirect Fire is treated as Direct Fire.

The question became: for ranged attacks that are treated as spells, does that special condition apply?

Ironically Mike said Yes (and thus nerfed his Dark Elf Army) while I said No (apparently asking for additional beatings). In the end, since it would only hurt him and not really affect me I let him have his way. But I wonder. I can see it applying both ways.

It applies to any ranged attack, including spells with the attack keyword that behave like other attacks.  There are several statements in the "spells" section of the rules that support this.  The most important: "The attack profile is listed in the spell description; if a range is listed, the spell is a ranged attack".  That means that any attack spell that lists a range is a ranged attack, and would be influenced by Stormy Weather.  This certainly applies to all the Dark Elves units.  I believe, though we could justify changing this, since they predate the exact rule, that as written it also means Death Curse (Umenzi High Priest) loses the ability to indirectly fire in Stormy Weather.

lazyj

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 03:18:38 PM »
Hmmm... that could have changed the game.

I used the Death Curse once, to great effect. In fact it made one of his guys rout and freed me up to take an unopposed run at his Lord of Dusk. I don't remember if it was "indirect" or not - it would have been close either way.

Probably would have been the fair application of the rule though, since his Lord was heavily affected by the condition. Mike made up for it by gaining a hill top with the LoD and blasting away anyway.

gull2112

• From the RUSH faction
    • Meditations on Brain Injury
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 07:53:03 PM »
James, you're too charitable. The point of Stormy Weather is there is no way to see at that range and if you have a spotter, there is no way for him to communicate his intelligence to you unless you're postulating Battleground FM technology (no static at all, no static at all, FM!!!). ;)
"Rules are only as good as the book they're bound in."
http://gullsbattleground.blogspot.com/

gull2112

• From the RUSH faction
    • Meditations on Brain Injury
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 07:55:56 PM »
One thing we did do wrong however is not letting my LM see the GWE. They should have seen it and pulled it in for a pinchy pinchy party. However, I was mentally beaten by that time so I did not want there to be a possibility of me saving the situation, and you needed to get back to "she who must be obeyed" or you might never return. :o
"Rules are only as good as the book they're bound in."
http://gullsbattleground.blogspot.com/

BubblePig

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 01:41:09 AM »
Wow, nice 'Rumpole' reference!  :D