Author Topic: The Best of the Worst - Tournament Format  (Read 2669 times)

Dave-SWA

• The Schenectady Wargamers Association
The Best of the Worst - Tournament Format
« on: March 15, 2011, 11:09:24 PM »
Continued from the Pandemonium tournament thread...

Mr Zelc started things off by saying:
There's always the 28 Peasant Mob + 1 Command Card build.  Requires Starter + 5 Reinforcement Decks Smiley.  Although random question: for builds which require more than 1x Starter and 1x Reinforcement deck, would proxies be allowed?

Maybe we can have a "Best of the Worst" tournament on Sunday for a specially printed Brownie Pack Cheesy.  Brownie pack comes with 10 copies of each sub-100 point unit.

EDIT: I should probably clarify that I understand the Brownie Pack idea is almost 100% infeasible and was mostly joking, but a "Best of the Worst" tournament could be a lot of fun.

BubblePig:
How about 9 Lowbloods, 4 Pain Touch, and 30 Command Cards?

Me:
28 Peasant Mob might not be good for victory, but one starter + 5 reinforcement decks sure sounds good for YMG!

I kinda like the idea of the Best of the Worst tournament...

Kevin:
Folks are free to organize one for Sunday.

Here's how I'd do it:

You get 1 starter & 1 reinforcement deck.  You build your opponent's army.  Army must meet all standard army requirements (core, etc.).  Max. 1 command card.
Schenectady Wargamers Association
An Adventure Gaming club serving the Capital District of upstate New York for over 40 years.
Council of Five Nations (Oct 5-7, 2018)
www.swa-gaming.org

Dave-SWA

Re: The Best of the Worst - Tournament Format
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 11:12:14 PM »
Nah, that sounds good in its own way, but it has a totally different vibe than the "Best of the Worst".

I've given this 5 minutes of thought.  Maybe the "Best of the Worst" format is taking the 3 or 4 cheapest units from each faction, and limiting your army build to just those troops.

1500 point builds seems better than 2000 pt builds.

Which faction do you think would come out the best on this?
Schenectady Wargamers Association
An Adventure Gaming club serving the Capital District of upstate New York for over 40 years.
Council of Five Nations (Oct 5-7, 2018)
www.swa-gaming.org

Zelc

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 06:49:10 AM »
 :o

When I said "Best of the Worst", I meant the people who didn't make the cut into the final bracket could play a tournament as well on Sunday.  I guess this is another way to look at it though, lol!

The only problem with building your opponent's deck is it might take too long to play out if both armies are terrible.  Maybe lower it to a 1200 point game?

BubblePig

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 12:24:14 PM »
Wondering how bad it would hurt Carthage that the 3 cheapest are all skirmishers. Like High Elf and Dark Elf and M&M.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 12:26:14 PM by BubblePig »

Kevin

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 05:57:09 PM »
As to the Best of the Worst, here's how new/casual players get to win prizes at the Championship Tournament (Details on the prizes, and eligibility, are visible on the tournament thread):

If one new/casual player makes it further in the final rounds than any other new/casual player, that player wins.

If two new/casual players make it equally far, then they have a playoff game for the prize.

If more than two new-casual players make it equally far, then the two with the best Saturday records have a playoff game for the prize.

--------

I do hope that there's some gaming Sunday.  Not sure how much you want to formalize it.  Folks might be in the mood to do a New-Jersey-Style megagame.  Some folks may be interested in watching the finals live.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 10:55:53 AM by Kevin »
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

gull2112

• From the RUSH faction
    • Meditations on Brain Injury
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 05:46:54 PM »
I was thinking about the best of the worst scenario where your opponent buys your army. Realistically, I think it would work best like this:

Rather than have a maximum point limit, you would have a minimum point limit, i.e. you must spend 2000 points.

You could by cards but only if the amount spent on cards was less than the value of the cheapest unit in the army. So you couldn't buy four cards if the army had a 96 point unit, even if there was no more 96 point units available.
"Rules are only as good as the book they're bound in."
http://gullsbattleground.blogspot.com/