Author Topic: DIY Unit Graphics  (Read 24102 times)

Chad_YMG

• Administrator
    • Your Move Games
Re: DIY Unit Graphics
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2008, 02:43:50 PM »
That's not all...Kaile is also a published author!

http://www.amazon.com/Everything-Love-Spells-Book-Incantations/dp/1598693921

In addition to documenting another of Kaile's multi-dimensional skills, this book should hopefully put to rest some of the complaints that Battleground doesn't have a magic system.  It does, you just have to buy Kaile's book and then apply the spells to real life.  :)
David Humphrey está todavía en la Colina 217.
      - From Spanish translation of Hill 218 rules

Kenntak

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2008, 02:56:11 PM »
OMG... lol.  I love you guys. Hehheheheh  *hugs her boys*  MWUAH MMMMMWUAH! 

Yes yes... I am indeed multi-faceted.  Designer and Fine Artist by day...(yes I draw, paint, sculpt and do photography when time allows)....Rock Star by night. (Female front person and vocalist)

If curiosity now has you, I do have an online portfolio with some of my work.

*mwuah!*

Curiousity has me, I would like to see some of your work.

Barronmore

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2008, 08:42:43 PM »
WoW.  You have quite the skill set there!  I had no idea that the arts department was so full at YMG.

I have to agree with everyone...you do a great job.  Looking forward to seeing all your new stuff when it gets out.

ZiNOS

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2008, 02:20:12 AM »
Kaile Dutton is an Eclectic Solitary Practitioner and Certified Usui Reiki Master Teacher. She has found great success in healing and accepting love through energy work and the craft and is dedicated to the ways of reiki, magick, and being spiritually connected. Aside from continuously pursuing her spiritual path, she works as a fine artist, graphic designer, and aspiring singer/musician and performer.

WHOA!

I bet you are a super heroine also but you have to hide your identity.  ;D
DON'T PANIC <-------In Large Friendly Letters

Torrg

• Playtester
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2008, 07:35:37 PM »
Hello
I would like to have an idea how to do the points calculation too, or barring that Chad and/or YourMoveGames, is there a chance I can submit a unit type and ask what you would give as an estimated points value? I refer back a year or so ago when you asked people to contribute something towards the 3m eerrr 2m army. I had submitted an idea of dwarf slayers which I would like to have just for in house games. Also I agree with a previous post about artwork I would agree to having a huge watermark or something similar on any unit cards so as not to infringe on YourMoveGames copy rights.

Example of Slayers   
Slayers   (5) 5/5,   2/2   Range N/A   Courage 12   Move 2.5       Damage 4/4/4      Subject to Frenzy (Once in HtH, has close orders for rest of game, or upon failing a   …2 Hand Weapons   (+2) 0/0,   +1/-1                                                                                      route check to rallly with only close orders [you wound a dog and gets pissed])   
…Double Handed Axes (0) 0/+2, -1/+1      

Thank you
Scott
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
Robert A. Heinlein

Chad_YMG

• Administrator
    • Your Move Games
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2008, 11:36:53 AM »
Hey Scott,

I'm not entirely sure how the Frenzy ability works.  Is it that once the unit becomes engaged it can gets the Close order for the rest of the game and, if routed, rallies on Close as well?

Also, are the two-weapon and two-handed-axe different versions of the same basic unit or options that unit has?

Best,
Chad

Torrg

• Playtester
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2008, 12:47:12 PM »
Hello Chad
Sorry about that, let me try and give a better explanation. Yes you are correct, my thought was exactly as you state in your reply and I believe clarified below in the explanation(although, since I am a novice at best I am open to suggestions from a master game designer hint, hint), and my thought on the weapons is that the dwarves carry a variety of axes and will have to choose one option when they receive the "Close" order and I thought because of the frenzy they would have to choose one option for the rest of the game (plus I believe it would be too powerful and slow the game down if the dwarves general got to choose a different option each fight encounter)

Example of Slayers   
Slayers   (5) 5/5,   2/2   Range N/A   Courage 12   Move 2.5       Damage 4/4/4     
…2 Hand Weapons   (+2) 0/0,   +1/-1   
…Double Handed Axes (0) 0/+2, -1/+1

Subject to Frenzy (Once in HtH either by charging or when charged, the unit has close orders for rest of game, or upon failing a route check and when rallied, it will rally with close orders [you wound a dog and gets pissed])   

Chad I wish to thank you for reviewing this for me, I really appreciate all the hard work/dedication you and YourMoveGames has placed in BGFW for us gamers/consumers.
Scott
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
Robert A. Heinlein

Chad_YMG

• Administrator
    • Your Move Games
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2008, 03:43:51 PM »
Hey Scott,

OK, I still need to clarify a bit more.  If this unit routs, does it rally automatically at end of turn (e.g. like Wolfkin from Elves of Ravenwood) or do you still rally it as normal (spending a command action) but it does so on Close?

Once they go on Close, can they be directly controlled?

Best,
Chad

Torrg

• Playtester
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2008, 01:30:07 PM »
Hi Chad
I think it should take a command action to rally them, my thinking was the dwarf general having to go remind the lads as to their slayer oaths and the shame of routing, that lead me to the "close" order. after being rallied I wanted them to act more like the crazed goblins, so I dont think they should be directly controlled (unless I misread the goblin card), except command cards can still be played on the slayers.

I realize now I did not fully contemplate the courage check. I dont want them on a "Close" order from the start of the game, only as a "somewhat" medium benifit to the dwarf general and I envisioned them only routing because of missle fire before being engaged in HtH (is there other ways they could rout outside of HtH combat?). Once they become engaged in HtH combat or are rallied the first time (by spending a command action), they will be on "Close" for the rest of the game and pass all Courage Checks just as the Crazed Goblins.

I dont have my decks in front of me, but my knowledge of the other units that have "close" only orders (Rats, Crazed Goblins, etc) was they could not be directly controlled. Am I mistaken about that? If so I have greatly mis-used the crazed goblins and rats so far (I have not used the Umenzi Bezerkers, or T-Rex in battle yet)

Scott
Robert A. Heinlein

andrewgr

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2008, 01:44:36 PM »
Here's a different idea for the Slayers:

Give them a Courage number as normal.

That Courage number is used as normal for Fear checks.

For rout checks, it works as follows:

If a Slayers unit passes a rout check, nothing happens.
If a Slayers unit fails a rout check, instead of routing, its orders are immediately changed to Close with the unit that caused the rout check.  This order can't be changed.

So, in melee, this would basically mean it couldn't fail rout checks.
But, if shot at by missile troops, or hit with a magic spell that caused it to take a rout check, or breathed on by a Dragon, there would be a chance they would disobey orders and go charging after the unit that had the temerity to mess with them.

The big benefit of not being able to fail rout checks in melee would then be at least partially offset by the chance that an opponent might be able to force them to go charging willy-nilly across the table chasing after a dragon or a unit of bowriders or whatever.

Just a thought.

Torrg

• Playtester
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2008, 11:48:11 AM »
Hello
Thank you Andrew (once again) ;D, after reviewing your post I think you have a great solution.

Chad can you please review based off of his post? His solution I believe strikes a balance and need less review during game play then what I was envisioning in mine.
Robert A. Heinlein

Karasu

• Playtester
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2008, 04:28:55 AM »
On a slightly related note, what is YMG's policy on people posting unit suggestions with stats on the forum?  I know that AEG had (has) a strict policy which says that any specific card mechanic ideas that get posted publically will /never/ get used in the game (some sort of IP issue).

I know that you've previously done a competition (I submitted some entries), but what is your opinion on unsolicited ideas in a public are?

Roderick

Chad_YMG

• Administrator
    • Your Move Games
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2008, 08:23:14 AM »
Chad can you please review based off of his post? His solution I believe strikes a balance and need less review during game play then what I was envisioning in mine.

What a shock that Andrew has worked out a cool mechanic!  :)  (Andrew's "stupid" mechanic is being used for two Monsters and Mercenaries units and is on my short list for favorite unit mechanics of all time.)

I need to think a bit about how that might score as a bonus (it seems like it's clearly better than not having it at all, but not as good as having infinite courage) and I'll get back to you with a reasonable point range.

Chad_YMG

• Administrator
    • Your Move Games
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2008, 08:36:40 AM »
On a slightly related note, what is YMG's policy on people posting unit suggestions with stats on the forum?  I know that AEG had (has) a strict policy which says that any specific card mechanic ideas that get posted publically will /never/ get used in the game (some sort of IP issue).

I'm not a lawyer but a policy like that strikes me as rather absurd.  In the unit design contest we specified up front that all units, mechanics, etc. that were submitted were legally ours to use (as I think virtually all companies do in such contests).  Another thing to consider is that a lot of unit ideas and mechanics are going to occur to multiple people at any point in time.  Your mercenary mounted archers (I'm right that you submitted that entry?) are going to appear in 2M almost exactly as you proposed them...but no one would think that the notion of mounted archers was something only one person had considered.  Similarly, we've had a few ideas (both our own and suggested) for a sort of triggered beserker unit like Torrg's Slayers.  The world of game design is full of simultaneous development of ideas and also inspiration taken from the ideas of others.

Sooooo...I think it's time for a new unit design contest, but even without that I think it's cool for players to post their ideas here, so long as they are happy with us adopting those ideas (with or without modification).

conklins

« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2008, 02:50:12 PM »
I have a request:

I would like YMG to make an electronic file available that has the basic card fonts/graphics used to create the stat line of a unit, including the health bars.

Back to the original request.  I also would love to see this if at all possible...

I think the point was made that someone will eventually do a hack-job of this anyway....might as well do an official one and put a watermark, etc to differentiate official from un-official.

What say ye?