Author Topic: DIY Unit Graphics  (Read 27319 times)

andrewgr

DIY Unit Graphics
« on: November 01, 2007, 01:11:49 AM »
I have a request:

I would like YMG to make an electronic file available that has the basic card fonts/graphics used to create the stat line of a unit, including the health bars.

(I would be requesting that you publish the formula for calculating point costs, but I know you've already said that's not going to happen, so I won't bother. :-) I'm only mentioning it here in case other people join this thread, since it would be one of the first things that would occur to someone to ask for.)

I can fake it by scanning the cards and cutting & pasting the resultant graphics, but it wouldn't look nearly as nice as if we had the original graphics to work with.

I have two primary reasons for wanting this:

(1) I want to design cards for some miniatures I have.  For example, I've got Goblin Wolf Archers, which don't have a counterpart in the Orc army.  I'd like to use them, so I want to create a card for them.

(2) It would be helpful for documents like my strategy guide.  I'd like to be able to just insert the sword, shield, and boot symbols in the appropriate places. 

Thanks!

Chad_YMG

• Administrator
    • Your Move Games
Re: DIY Unit Graphics
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 01:14:18 PM »
Hey Andrew,

Interesting idea -- we're talking about it here, but in the meantime I'd be curious to know how many other people are excited about this idea.

Best,
Chad
David Humphrey está todavía en la Colina 217.
      - From Spanish translation of Hill 218 rules

Tom_F

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 03:02:20 PM »
I'd like to have this available just for the purposes of renaming units to give em some extra flavor.  I think it'd be fun to rename a unit to something that reflects there being a command character or a hero being present.  I'd like to be able to rename a unit of Death Knights to something like 'Lord of Despair' to represent to me at least that there is a significant personality on the field.  I'm pretty sure that I could do that now without having access to the unit graphic stat lines, but it would make it more seamless looking.   

ZiNOS

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 11:04:47 AM »
I would like to find the time and convert the sons of cronos army from chronopia in bgfw...

...once i find the time......and once we have the rules for chariots.
DON'T PANIC <-------In Large Friendly Letters

ZiNOS

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 04:05:39 AM »
So, any news on these graphics? I have a draft for the SoK army (no chariot... :-[) and i will like to play some test games.

But i will need the graphics just to make the mock ups easier to use.

Thnx.
DON'T PANIC <-------In Large Friendly Letters

Chad_YMG

• Administrator
    • Your Move Games
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 10:00:48 AM »
There's a bit of in-house paranoia about making it easier to create seemingly authorized unit cards.  The discussion is still ongoing, but for the moment there's a hold on this.

Sorry to disappoint.  :(
David Humphrey está todavía en la Colina 217.
      - From Spanish translation of Hill 218 rules

Barronmore

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 08:53:52 PM »
Can you put some big ole watermark on it or something that would show that it's an unofficial card.  As long as the mark is obvious then it shouldn't be a problem.  The other alternative is just to wait until battlegrounds gets big enough that a really slick graphic artists make a card template for people to download and make custom units like they do for Heroscape.  Personally I rather get the file from you guys and know that your approval has been given but I totally understand why you would not want to release a template file for homemade cards.

Kaile_YMG

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 11:32:02 AM »
The other alternative is just to wait until battlegrounds gets big enough that a really slick graphic artists make a card template for people to download and make custom units like they do for Heroscape.

Did someone say slick graphic artist???  I wonder who could do that! >:p 

Barronmore

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 11:21:58 AM »
We'll, I was meaning someone in the community, not the company...but if your willing to do it... ;D

Kaile_YMG, what art are you working on?  Are there two graphic artists at YMG now?

Forevernyt

• Harbinger of Doom
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 12:14:10 PM »
Let me see if I can help clear things up. There are two "artists" me and David. Kaile is the graphic artist. Which means she takes what we do and turns them into masterpieces. :P She'll take the raw art and makes posters, the actual cards, the set up for the boxes etc. Another fine example, would be my shiny new sig animation. :P

You Rock Kaile!

If it weren’t for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable.

Forevernyt

• Harbinger of Doom
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 12:15:45 PM »
Oh and she probably does a whole lot more that I'm unaware of, so let's give it up for Kaile, eh?

darwin_YMG

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 12:55:39 PM »
hear hear! I've worked with several graphic designers now and Kaile is by far the most fantabulous!  ;D

andrewgr

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 01:53:00 PM »
Oh and she probably does a whole lot more that I'm unaware of, so let's give it up for Kaile, eh?

Being a Graphic Designer is just Kaile's secret identity.  When not under cover, she's actually a Rock Star.

Forevernyt

• Harbinger of Doom
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2008, 01:59:08 PM »
Indeed...

Behind the innocent looking facade of her Mac, Kaile Dutton, AKA ROCKSTAR GIRL, plans her most elaborate show yet.

FLIP TOP HEAD!

;D

Kaile_YMG

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2008, 02:39:10 PM »
OMG... lol.  I love you guys. Hehheheheh  *hugs her boys*  MWUAH MMMMMWUAH! 

Yes yes... I am indeed multi-faceted.  Designer and Fine Artist by day...(yes I draw, paint, sculpt and do photography when time allows)....Rock Star by night. (Female front person and vocalist)

If curiosity now has you, I do have an online portfolio with some of my work.

*mwuah!*