Author Topic: Special place for rules Errata, Addenda, and Clarifications  (Read 12469 times)

Dave-SWA

• The Schenectady Wargamers Association
Special place for rules Errata, Addenda, and Clarifications
« on: February 16, 2011, 08:22:26 PM »
I suggest a new forum heading on the main Forum page.  It would be in the "Battleground: Fantasy and Historical Warfare" section.  I suggest it appear between "Battleground: Kingdoms" and "Rules".

Official Rules Errata, Addenda and Clarifications
No product is 100% flawless when published, but we always strive to improve.  Only site admins can post here, so you know that everything is official.

As it says, only the site admins should be allowed to post in this section.  No discussions in this section, just finalized rulings, so they are easy to find in one spot.

Thank you.
Schenectady Wargamers Association
An Adventure Gaming club serving the Capital District of upstate New York for over 40 years.
Council of Five Nations (Sept 29 - Oct 1, 2017) - this is our 40th, the Ruby Anniversary.  It will be extra special this year!
www.swa-gaming.org

Dave-SWA

Re: Special place for rules Errata, Addenda, and Clarifications
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 07:27:38 PM »
If an Admin posts the material here, I volunteer to transfer it to a document available for download in PDF & MS Word formats. 
I'll maintain the document too.
An Adventure Gaming club serving the Capital District of upstate New York for over 40 years.
Council of Five Nations (Sept 29 - Oct 1, 2017) - this is our 40th, the Ruby Anniversary.  It will be extra special this year!
www.swa-gaming.org

ajax98

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 03:40:02 PM »
Yeah, I was looking at this.
I will need to reedit 'Herald's Call' for just the official stuff and find some references for the forum rulings.

The real question is where to start. I have been all inclusive with 'Herald's Call', but not chronological.

gull2112

• Administrator
  • From the RUSH faction
    • Meditations on Brain Injury
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 04:34:00 PM »
Yeah, I was looking at this.
I will need to reedit 'Herald's Call' for just the official stuff and find some references for the forum rulings.

The real question is where to start. I have been all inclusive with 'Herald's Call', but not chronological.

IMHO chronological isn't necessary, but what would be appropriate for our purposes here is not the rules clarifications per se, but the actual rules changes and so forth that folks need to be appraised about. Changes to cards or abilities that are actually official. There are a few, but not so many as you might think by reading all the flurry of discussion that can go on. :P
"Rules are only as good as the book they're bound in."
http://gullsbattleground.blogspot.com/

ajax98

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 05:12:51 PM »
A matter of perspective. :)

I would assume that there exists a person that has in their possession and play with only Orcs and Hawkshold, using version 1 of the rules and associated info cards.

I wasn't even thinking of the 'clarifications' as that was the reason behind 'Herald's Call'.

HOWEVER, as I was just looking things over, many of the major points of Triarii are in the 'clarifications'.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 06:01:50 PM by ajax98 »

ajax98

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 10:32:17 PM »
My first go through, presently without proper citations. (added DE / Kingdoms notes on 110222)(DE Card errata 110307)

110221 Official Errata and notes

Assumption is that all previously published official changes and errata (particularly Unit Card) from the YMG website is not needed in this brief.

First part is the declaration of “official errata”.

General Errata Conditions:
Shaken (new update)& Fear Checks:
A unit that normally “Passes all Courage Checks”, “Passes all Fear Checks” or has no Courage level number does not become ‘Shaken’ nor roll for Fear.

Fear Check
“Shaken” affects Range strikes when the unit affected is challenged in the ‘Pre-Combat Courage Phase’.

Officially Noted, Not published yet-
Carthage Numidian Cavalry - Keyword "Cavalry" erroneously missing.

Dark Elves Lowblood Levy (Spears)   (6*)4*/5*  (not the printed 6-5-5)

Undead Skeletons (not yet officially defined, as there are 5 Skeleton units)
One extra yellow box is official.
(Definitely assume Horde and Spear; I contend that Cav was mentioned and Bows are by formula in the same category.)

Command Card Errata
Undead - Wave of Terror ( - proposed by Chad)
All affected units will roll for the card effects to apply. There is no ‘automatic’ Shaken effect.

Orc - Frenzy ( - proposed by Chad) [Ok, this is my biggest 'reading' of Tea Leaves; it is supported by the citation in second part.]
Only one of this specific card may be played on a unit at one particular time; they are exclusive of each other (as there are two in the deck.)

Dark Elves -Seize the Day ( -  Niko)
the line "units can't be affected by more than one [this card] per turn" was inadvertently left off Seize the Day in the Dark Elf deck

Army Faction errata-
Carthage - Determination - Special Ability only effects Melee (Hand to Hand) Combat; not rangestriking.

Roman Replacement army ability (-proposed by Chad, the following functions unchallenged)
Roman Replacement army ability may only be used IF Neither unit may move or have moved this turn.

Unit Card Errata-
Units that have preprinted the “Close” Standing Order may not be given a Standing Order Modifier or be directly controlled.
•110219 Ajax98 corollary- "always Close" units will Ignore Airborne units.

Umenzi Giant War Elephant:
Does not get the "engaged target" penalty when the shooting target is the same unit it is engaged. If the GWE is engaged, it will only range strike the engaged enemy. Does not use range strike in any 'free attack'.

Rome
Triarii - Must be ‘Unengaged’ to use Special Abilities.

Does not enhance ranged attacks.

Roman units backed up by Triarii get (+1) +0/+0 on engaged attacks. (Non-Roman units do not benefit from from this particular SA.)

Triarii's support (Use of it’s SA) Must have a Line of Sight to the unit it is supporting and Friendly units do not block this aspect of LOS for evaluating the support.

- Line of sight must not be blocked by terrain or enemy units.  (This also prevents a Triarii from scooting around an enemy that was between it and the friendly it was backing up.)

- Range (5”) is reduced by terrain by the same number of MC as it would a final rush of an enemy in the friendly unit's location.  Thus, if the units are on rough ground the Triarii can only back up friendlies within 3.5".

Skirmishers do not benefit from Triarii Backup SA. (-proposed by Chad) This 'Backup' is the replacement of the destroyed unit. The Skirmisher still receives the engagement modifier for being 'backed up'; different word/phrase.

Dark Elves
*(placed on 110222)
Lashmistresses - The Siren's Call Spell does not work as written on Skirmishers. The Skirmishers will not Final Rush to engagement. The unit will move to the Facing of the LM, but stops there. The official position is that the rules for Skirmishers prevent the spell from forcing the Skirmishers to break the rules.

Be reminded that the Siren's Call Spell is 'fired off' at the end of the Move & Command Phase.

Kingdoms:
"Chosen Ground" scenerio:  a large hill counts as two terrain pieces.
"Ambush" scenario:  Foresight from watchtowers may be used, but foresight may not be specially purchased for this scenario.  (For example, if a player is playing Carthage.)
http://yourmovegames.com/forum/index.php/topic,1430.0.html

Airborne
Rules v3.0 & 2.4 have incomplete Airborne rules and have been declared Void.
Rules v2.3, p10-14, have been referred to as the default rule set.
Flying Rules
In addition to its standing order and any standing order modifiers, a unit with flying may be given the “F” standing order modifier, indicating that it is currently flying.
While flying a unit is considered to be at the same elevation as other fliers and to be on a higher evaluation then all ground units and terrain.
Note: This means a unit that is flying has High Ground against all ground units. Note: While flying a unit is not considered to be in terrain it is above.

While flying a unit may not engage or be- come engaged in with units on the ground.
Note: A flying unit must begin the turn on the ground in order to final rush. Note: they may shoot and be shot at keeping in mind the High Ground range modification.

While flying a unit may move straight and turn, but may not make any other maneuvers.
While flying a unit uses it flying movement stat including the turns it takes off and lands.

A unit may not start flying (take off) and land in the same turn.
When a unit lands it may face any direction (reform) for free.
While flying a unit may overlap and move over other units (including other flying units). It may not land on top of another unit.

Unless directly controlled, a flying unit with the close standing order will land if its move takes it within its ground final rush distance of the nearest enemy and it will land as close to that enemy as possible.

If possible it must land on what was at the start of the turn the facing side of that enemy. If it started partially or fully above the nearest enemy unit it will land on the far side of that unit if possible.

A flying unit with a location as an objective will land when it reaches that objective. If the objective is occupied it will fly as close as possible to the objective then land.

During deployment a unit with flying may not be placed over another unit.
Flying units automatically take off when routing and are considered flying until they are rallied. When a flying unit is rallied it is give the hold order with the flying standing order modifier HF .

A player may not attempt to create a draw by refusing to land flying units. Once a player has only flying units left on the field, he must either seek to engage the enemy at a reason- able speed or fly his units off the field (if appropriate to the scenario being played).

Airborne Combat:
If while flying a unit passes over an enemy that is flying, those units make a fly-by at- tack against each other during the combat phase. Fly-by attacks incur no bonuses or penalties other than for being in the yellow or in the red but can be affected by com- mand cards or army abilities. A unit making a fly-by attack does not make a ranged attack this turn. If a flying unit’s movement causes it to overlap two or more flying enemy units during a single Movement & Command
phase it makes a fly-by attack against the first enemy unit only but each of the enemy units gets to make a fly-by attack.

Second part is the supporting documentation citations.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 11:29:22 PM by ajax98 »

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 10:39:20 AM »

Airborne Combat:
If while flying a unit passes over an enemy that is flying, those units make a fly-by at- tack against each other during the combat phase. Fly-by attacks incur no bonuses or penalties other than for being in the yellow or in the red but can be affected by com- mand cards or army abilities. A unit making a fly-by attack does not make a ranged attack this turn. If a flying unit’s movement causes it to overlap two or more flying enemy units during a single Movement & Command
phase it makes a fly-by attack against the first enemy unit only but each of the enemy units gets to make a fly-by attack.

This also needs to be addressed.  We had a game a while ago where each side took a Red Dragon (standard issue).  My opponent set his dragon to close on mine while I sent mine after some poor grounded schlub.  Both Dragons where airborne the duration of the game.  We had a situation where my dragon was frying the schlub from the air on my turn, then on my opponent's turn his dragon attacked mine from the rear.  Since there was no penalty, we did about equal damage to each other.  We spent the rest of the game with my dragon flying away while his continued to nip mine from behind.  They both killed each other IIRC, but I thought it was screwey that even though he constantly out maneuvered me to get his attacks (I was busy cooking peons), he still never got a bonus for doing so like you would get for a ground based attack.
"Art as expression, not as market campaigns
Will still capture our imaginations"
-Rush, Natural Science

ajax98

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 01:12:38 PM »
This also needs to be addressed.  ...

(tap, tap) Huston? (tap, tap) Huston!

•• U.S. Government Press Release ••
Due to lack of funding and appreciable source of generated income, Huston Center has been leased out for alternative functions to generate income.

End Message

ajax98

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 05:43:14 PM »
The missing citations I just need to dig up.

Second part is the supporting documentation citations.
General Errata Conditions:
Fear Check
“Shaken” affects Range strikes - Niko example

Officially Noted, Not published yet-
Carthage Numidian Cavalry - Niko? (pretty well known)

Dark Elves Lowblood Levy  - Niko (pretty well known)

Chad_YMG
Re: Skellies errata?
« Reply #2 on: 2010-12-27 at 05:35:05 »
One extra yellow box is official.  Once Kaile stops saving lives as an EMT for a moment we'll get a modified card jpeg up so folks can print their own.

Command Card Errata
... last notes: Chad was in discussion about correcting the "Wave of Terror" Card so that if you passed your Courage check, you were not shaken. ... http://yourmovegames.com/forum/index.php/topic,1294.0.html

Orc - Frenzy ( - proposed by Chad)
Chad_YMG
Re: Another rule request - green cards
« Reply #22 on: 2010-11-08, 06:25:31 »
... What we really want to prevent is cards with a cumulative effect being combined to create something out of balance with other effects.

Dark Elf - Seize the Day (- Niko White)
Re: Another rule request - green cards
« Reply #41 on: 110307 at 04:15:00 am »
Adding embarrassment to me and complication to this topic, the line "units can't be affected by more than one [this card] per turn" was inadvertently left off Seize the Day in the Dark Elf deck, despite it being there on the spiritual predecessor of the card, Attack Storm.

(100527) Army Faction errata-
Carthage - Determination - Special Ability only effects Melee (Hand to Hand) Combat; not rangestriking -confirmed by Chad 2010-05-31.

Roman Replacement army ability (-proposed by Chad
Chad_YMG
Re: Triarii and "Replacement" Suggestions
« Reply #30 on: Today at 09:44:08 »
OK, I think I'm ready to rule.
I propose that the Roman Replacement army ability may only be used...
Neither unit may move or have moved this turn. ...
Any objections?
•Section of ruling deleted was objected to by Ajax98 and seconded by others. It has no fundamental impact on the essence of the ruling, as it was a conditional clause, requiring the units using Army Ability to be engaged.

Unit Card Errata-
Units that have preprinted the “Close” Standing Order may not be given a Standing Order Modifier or be directly controlled. -Confirmed by Chad 2010-9-16
author=Chad_YMG link=topic=1613.msg14322#msg14322 date=1284657138

Umenzi Giant War Elephant:
Does not get the "engaged target" penalty when the shooting target is the same unit it is engaged.
http://yourmovegames.com/forum/index.php/topic,1060.90.msg13819.html#msg13819

Triarii
Chad_YMG
Re: Triarii - best unit EVER???? You (and YMG) decide...
« Reply #11 on: 2009-09-07, 07:30:06 »
OK, a few answers: ...
2. No, they don't enhance ranged attacks.  This is a typo and will be addressed through errata.

Chad_YMG
Re: Triarii and "Replacement" Suggestions
« Reply #30 on: Today at 09:44:08 »
OK, I think I'm ready to rule.
I propose that the Roman Replacement army ability may only be used...
Neither unit may move or have moved this turn. ...
Any objections?
•Section of ruling deleted was objected to by Ajax98 and seconded by others. It has no fundamental impact on the essence of the ruling, as it was a conditional clause, requiring the units using Army Ability to be engaged.

Seems good for Replacement, Chad.  What about the skirmisher auto-rout -> teleporting Triarii thing? [triarii “back up” of destroyed units.]
Chad:
... just not on skirmishers, which would be my preference. ...

Chad_YMG   
Re: Triarii support thru terrain objects
« Reply #2 on: 2010-12-08, 02:01:15 »
...I agree that this is an issue. ...
I'd suggest the following change:
  - Line of sight must not be blocked by terrain or enemy units.  (This also prevents a Triarii from scooting around an enemy that was between it and the friendly it was backing up.)
  - Range is reduced by terrain by the same number of MC as it would a final rush of an enemy in the friendly unit's location.  Thus, if the units are on rough ground the Triarii can only back up friendlies within 3.5".
http://yourmovegames.com/forum/index.php/topic,1694.30.msg15094.html#msg15094

Dark Elf - Siren’s Call spell
(101106) Chad has made it official that Skirmishers are NOT forced to Engage as per the Spell effect:
http://yourmovegames.com/forum/index.php/topic,1708.msg15226#msg15226

••••
Kevin
For the Errata page...
« on: 2010-05-31, 06:45:23 »
OK, with the one exception noted below, these topics have all be discussed extensively on the forum.  I'm just putting them together in an easy to-do list for the next time the Errata Page is updated:

Kingdoms:
"Chosen Ground" scenerio:  a large hill counts as two terrain pieces.
"Ambush" scenario:  Foresight from watchtowers may be used, but foresight may not be specially purchased for this scenario.  (For example, if a player is playing Carthage.)

Carthage:
"Determination" army ability:  determination may be crossed off to do one damage if the attack failed to do damage on engaged attacks only.

The Scutarii are up on the errata page, but they are currently listed as "Rome" rather than "Carthage."

Rome:
Units backed up by Triarii get (+1) +0/+0 on engaged attacks.

The above has been settled, but should say that on the card.  I'd also like the bonus to apply to Roman Units only, not the the mercenary T-Rex or whatever who couldn't care less that there are some spear-armed veterans standing nearby.  In other words, phrase it as

Roman units backed up by Triarii get (+1) +0/+0 on engaged attacks.

That's all I got.  Does anyone have anything to add?

ajax98
Re: For the Errata page...
« Reply #1 on: 2010-05-31, 21:29:02 »

Triarii should be specifically noted to be "unengaged" for using their Special Abilities.

Chad_YMG
Re: For the Errata page...
« Reply #2 on: Today at 16:50:32 »
Agreed on all counts.
••••

Airborne - Niko
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 03:14:20 AM by ajax98 »

ajax98

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 01:58:16 PM »
It has just come to my attention that there are serious problems with 1.4.7.4 The Tiny Gap Rule and 1.4.7.6.2 Routing into Friendly Units, as currently written.
http://yourmovegames.com/forum/index.php/topic,2142.msg16865.html#msg16865

If strictly applied you will have problems.

Dave-SWA

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 10:51:13 PM »
OK, I've created the first draft of the compilation document.  Probably won't have much time to edit it before TotalCon - having my last pre-con warmup game tomorrow night.  Hitting the road early Friday morning.

You can download it here:
http://swa-gaming.org/node/1852

www.swa-gaming.org

Zelc

• Playtester
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 04:05:17 PM »
A couple typos I see:

- Page 4: You list Aspect of the Bear twice.  The second one should be Aspect of the Stag.

- Page 4: Scutarii is a Carthage unit, not a Rome unit (also a problem on the webpage).  It has a Determination box, not a Reinforcement box.

Also, what is the official ruling on which skeletons have the extra yellow box?

Kevin

• Playtester
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2011, 05:58:50 PM »
The official ruling on skeletons is that the skeleton cavalry stay as is, but the sleleton swords & spears each get one yellow box.  Their point costs remain the same.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 06:03:34 PM by gull2112 »
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

gull2112

• Administrator
  • From the RUSH faction
    • Meditations on Brain Injury
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 06:04:45 PM »
I'm guessing the way to effect this is to draw a diagonal line through a yellow box with a ball point pen?
"Rules are only as good as the book they're bound in."
http://gullsbattleground.blogspot.com/

Zelc

• Playtester
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2011, 11:12:53 PM »
Would it be possible to get an official confirmation of these errata so it can be included in the revised rulebook? :)