Author Topic: Stats Printed Upside Down  (Read 5377 times)

malachi1616

Stats Printed Upside Down
« on: May 29, 2007, 05:23:52 PM »
This was a (very, very small) annoyance I noticed immediately when starting my first game... It is sort of a pain to see a units statistics from the opposite side of a table, especially in a large game. It would be extremely helpful to print the stats of a unit upside down on the front edge of the card so that the opposing player could easily see what they needed to roll to hit/damage the unit without having to continually ask.

This might have been implemented already in newer sets, if so I wouldn't know and I apologize. Anyway, from a fellow game designer's stand point, it seemed like a good idea :)

Forevernyt

• Harbinger of Doom
Re: Stats Printed Upside Down
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 08:55:04 AM »
Of course, the other solution would be for your opponent to give you copies of the cards he's playing to keep at your side for reference.

;D

If it weren’t for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable.

Chad_YMG

• Administrator
    • Your Move Games
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 12:57:28 PM »
This was a (very, very small) annoyance I noticed immediately when starting my first game... It is sort of a pain to see a units statistics from the opposite side of a table, especially in a large game. It would be extremely helpful to print the stats of a unit upside down on the front edge of the card so that the opposing player could easily see what they needed to roll to hit/damage the unit without having to continually ask.

This might have been implemented already in newer sets, if so I wouldn't know and I apologize. Anyway, from a fellow game designer's stand point, it seemed like a good idea :)

We considered this idea -- only briefly, I have to admit.  Our feeling was that the benefit was more than offset by the loss of aesthetics.  It may be that we were biased by the comparison with miniature games (where none of the information is visible and you have to look it up), but having a second stat line really didn't appeal to us.

I may also be biased by having really good eyesight, so it isn't an issue for me.  :(
David Humphrey está todavía en la Colina 217.
      - From Spanish translation of Hill 218 rules

malachi1616

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 10:43:35 AM »
Yeah, like I said, its a very very small problem but I thought Id mention it. I just find myself asking what the stats are over and over and it tends to slow it down a little.

andrewgr

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 03:05:08 PM »
On the Yahoo group site, there are some excellent player aids in the "Files" section.  The link is http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/BGFW/files/

One of those player aids is a .pdf file named Battleground Unit Stats 1.21.pdf

I recommend printing them off, and if you like them, either laminate each one, or else stick them inside the clear plastic page protectors they sell cheap at Costco or Office Depot.

These contain everything you need to know about each army, including all relevent bonuses for each situation (charging, etc.).  So, just select the sheet for the army you're playing against, and set it where you can see it.

Once you've used them a couple times, you get to where you can read the format very quickly, and you may even wind up preferring them to reading the cards for your own army as well!

malachi1616

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 05:49:13 PM »
Thats a good idea, I may do that. One of the things I like most about this game though is that it fits in a card box! Unlike most war games that take up boxes with their miniatures and terrain. I supposed a sheet of paper isnt that bad though.