Author Topic: Viking Raid Scenario  (Read 2307 times)

Hamilcar

• Playtester
Viking Raid Scenario
« on: December 08, 2010, 04:26:05 PM »
Assault on the Village

Background:  The flavor of this scenario is to recreate a quasi-historical Viking/Germanic raid on an English port town.  Light to unskilled forces in defense, attacked by a seasoned, experienced and nasty assault force.

MoH troops are reflective of townsfolk/farmers and lightly, poorly trained militias.  The Cavalry units are considered trained troops in the local Lords employ.

M&M troops are reflective of Viking/Germanic raiders with the Half-orc and Ogre units reflective of hardened veterans and the Hill Giant as their Warlord.  Wildmen are regulars.

Monsters & Mercs  (2495 – 11 units)
X1  Half-Orc Spearmen
X1  Half-Orc Swordsmen
X1  Ogres
X2  Wildmen Archers
X2  Wildmen Sword
X3  Wildmen Horse Archers
X1  Hill Giant

Men of Hawkshold  (1998 – 13 units)
X2  Bowmen
X4  Militia
X4  Peasant Mob
X2 Light Cavalry
X1  Knights
X1  Command Card

CPs:  M&M 5, MoH 4

M&M issue first SO and MoH start standard turn 1.

Board: Standard size play surface.  Shoreline along one edge with 2 small and 2 large boats turned side to sand, placed by attacker anywhere along their side.  A town with 5 buildings (three inside deployment zone, two 3” outside deployment zone, in lazy W formation) along the other edge.  See picture.  (Note: Cows and well are for aesthetics, only)

Boats:  Any unit with missile attack may fire from the boat deck as long as they have a SO.  They are considered at one elevation up from ground level (eg, 10’ high) for targeting range.  Any unit in a boat with no SO or on “H” is considered High Ground to any force outside, and moving into a boat counts as moving up a Hill.  Units inside a boat with no SO or on “H” are considered in Soft Cover. Unengaged units in boats may change facing for free, even during opposing players turn, as this is an active defensive posture.

Buildings:  Movement in and out of buildings cost –1 MC and may be done through any side.  This penalty is paid once to enter and once to leave the building terrain template.  Unengaged units in buildings may change facing for free, even during opposing players turn, as this is an active defensive posture.
To raze a building, a unit must move adjacent and cause three (3) points of damage to the structure (which is defense 3/3).  Missile fire will NOT damage buildings.  Command Cards may be used by attacker and defender as normal.  If a building is defended by a unit inside (Hard Cover), attacker may decide to target the building or the unit.  If structure is attacked, defending unit is still allowed a counter-attack.  A Counter-attack may not target a building.  Once a building suffers three (3) damage, any entrenched defender(s) takes two (2) damage and must make Rout check.  If check failed by all defenders, building is considered destroyed and unit(s) abandons building to side opposite attacker, retaining current SO, if one had been issued.  If check passed, building is saved, but this is repeated each time structure suffers any additional damage in any given round.
Destroyed buildings count as Rough Ground and Soft Cover.
Non-routing units without orders: Units without SO issued count as being on “H” SO for purpose of defense from missile or engaged/FR attacks.

M&M are attacking and must setup as follows: Place Hill Giant anywhere in deployment zone adjacent to a boat.  Any 3 units stacked in each large boat, any 2 in each small boat.  Units will exit ships in stack order from top to bottom.  Before the game starts, Standing Orders are issued to top visible units only.  On any M&M turn, the player may issue SOs to any non-ordered, non-routing visible unit for free, and that unit may act in the current M&C phase.

MoH are defending and must setup as follows:  Three (3) Cavalry units start as off-board reserves.  Remaining units are stacked in pairs in each of the buildings. Before the game starts, Standing Orders are issued to top visible units only.  On any MoH turn, they may issue SOs to any non-ordered, non-routing visible unit for free, and that unit may act in the current M&C phase.  On MoH turn 3, the two (2) Light Cavalry units will arrive from defender’s board edge with SO as desired.  On MoH turn 4, Knights unit will arrive from defender’s board edge with SO as desired.

MoH Winning Conditions:  Cause M&M army to rout before any of the town is razed (Major Victory).  Once the M&M force has lost its 6th unit, the attacker will make a Force Rout Check at the end of that phase, and the end of each future phase in which any M&M unit is destroyed.  Force Rout Courage is base 12, minus one for the 6th and each subsequent unit lost (eg, 6 lost = 11, 7 lost = 10, 8 lost = 9, etc)  A single Force Rout Check failure ends the game immediately.

If one (1) building razed, Minor Victory for MoH.  If two (2) buildings razed, Minor Victory for M&M.

M&M Winning Conditions: Destroy the town by engaging and Razing three (3) buildings (Major Victory).

Routing: MoH units rout as per standard rules.  M&M units rout as per standard rules except that any unit touching the shoreline is considered lost on the turn it happens.  They do not get a delay round to be rallied.

(Notes:  This scenario is very tough.  I've played thru 3 times and MoH have been slaughtered, had a Minor Victory and a Minor Loss.  Let me know if you have comments or feedback.  I hope my future scenarios have fewer special rules.)

gull2112

• Administrator
  • From the RUSH faction
    • Meditations on Brain Injury
Re: Viking Raid Scenario
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 08:59:57 PM »
Great scenario! I don't think the special rules are too much or too many, as they all reflect scenario specific conditions and don't alter general combat and movement. I'm thinking the Hill Giant may be a little over the top, though you could nerf him some by saying he has no ranged attack.

My only question is, what constitutes razing a building?
"Rules are only as good as the book they're bound in."
http://gullsbattleground.blogspot.com/

ajax98

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 12:16:53 AM »
Nice scenario.

Buildings, second paragraph.
"To raze a building..."
Followed by 'Destroyed' buildings.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 12:19:13 AM by ajax98 »

gull2112

• Administrator
  • From the RUSH faction
    • Meditations on Brain Injury
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 06:20:09 PM »
Ah, I was scanning for a bold faced rule. I see if you actually read all the rules they actually contain valuable information. :P
"Rules are only as good as the book they're bound in."
http://gullsbattleground.blogspot.com/

ajax98

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 01:00:29 AM »
 :-*