Author Topic: call for solitaire scenarios  (Read 3526 times)

gull2112

• Administrator
  • From the RUSH faction
    • Meditations on Brain Injury
call for solitaire scenarios
« on: August 09, 2010, 09:37:13 PM »
If anybody has any good ideas for solitaire scenarios that would be most appreciated. I'm imagining situations where it might be kind of boring to be one side or the other (by boring, I mean limited opportunities for clever tactics). So for instance, the player would be holding out against an undead swarm, or overwhelming some dudes in a fortified prepared position. I think the challenge for repeated plays would be to see how small a force you can still complete the objective with (pardon my dangling participle). Was thinking I might enter a few of my own, but I'm really busy right now getting my next book ready for publishing and I have no idea when I could get to this, but if somebody could come up with a scenario and I could take a writing break and smash some heads that would be awesome! :)   
"Rules are only as good as the book they're bound in."
http://gullsbattleground.blogspot.com/

ajax98

Re: call for solitaire scenarios
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 01:04:52 AM »
Good idea.
Needs some time for the exercise.
There was one battle that came out of our campaign in Round 9 that was just so set up for a solitaire scenario that I started to write it up.

It was "Ancient Feud", the Lizards against the High Elves.
There is also an alternate set up for the Lizards, based on what the player had done incorrectly, but still very interesting.

The HE is the active player and the player has just a very limited way to win and it's got to be bold.

ZiNOS

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 08:45:36 AM »
Wouldn't it be better if an "AI" army was proposed, together with the moves it will make? I think there was something like this so time ago.... the fact the the "AI" will not play any cards can be mitigated by random bonuses or overall more points at the first step of army building.....

Flash idea, what about maps with predetermined units on them that you have to storm or something. Something like a small hawkshold fort that the player has to build an army and defeat the defenders inside the fort....

......hhhhmmmmmmmmmmmm
DON'T PANIC <-------In Large Friendly Letters

elgin_j

• Playtester
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 12:22:31 PM »
There is an Umenzi vs 3 x T Rex solo scenario in one of the Harbinger Magazine issues - it can be downloaded online.
toodle pip

Kevin

• Playtester
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 02:05:53 PM »
I'm pretty sure that there are rules in the Punic Wars set for playing the battle of Cannae solo.  The battle is stupidly large, though.  (Most of their scenarios have armies at 3500+ points)
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

gull2112

• Administrator
  • From the RUSH faction
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 06:54:47 PM »
Zinos et al. I was assuming the solitaire rules available on the downsloads from this sight to be in play, basically the AI assumes all melee units on C and missile on R and no cards, as the opponent is assumed to be uninspired, the board is clear terrain and the victory is total elimination. The trick is to see how small a force you can use to defeat said opponent.

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 09:22:29 AM »
I was thinking of a different twist to the solitaire scenario.  You start with a 2000 point army and the enemy army is only 1500 points and cannot use command actions or special abilities.  They will all be set to close with no modifiers except for ranged units, which will fire at the nearest available target.  So you have a huge advantage against these suckers.  You line them up and start the battle.  Odds are that you are going to beat the snot out of the enemy force, but every 5 turns or so an exact duplicate of that enemy army will march on to the field and you must deal with them in addition to any survivors from the first batch.  5 turns later another duplicate army materializes and so on until all of your guys are dead.  Tally the points of the destroyed enemy units.  While you cannot "win" this battle, I'd bet it would be fun to hack the hell out of the enemy units until you fall.
"Art as expression, not as market campaigns
Will still capture our imaginations"
-Rush, Natural Science

ajax98

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 11:19:46 AM »
 :D

Torrg

• Playtester
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 12:44:22 AM »
This is a really interesting twist. Good Job! Where did you get the idea?
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
Robert A. Heinlein

gull2112

• Administrator
  • From the RUSH faction
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 05:23:24 PM »
Along those lines I'm developing some scenarios. One is a wood-elf sacred grove defense. The other one is kind of a mirror image dealy where the player is the attacker and he attacks a superior force until he overcomes it. Maybe a Balls Deep variant where the defender is on auto-pilot and the attacker sees how long it takes him to get in Balls Deep.

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 09:24:53 AM »
 :o ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

You're killing me here Mike!
"Art as expression, not as market campaigns
Will still capture our imaginations"
-Rush, Natural Science